3 yr offer for Sanders

Parramatta captain Clint Gutherson is playing through the pain of a knee injury that required fluid to be drained from it just to take the field in Darwin as the Eels review whether Friday’s horror trip to the Top End should be their last.
The club’s finals hopes could be all but over within a month after another second-half capitulation, this time to the Dolphins, to heap further pressure on Brad Arthur. The Eels coach did not hold back following the 44-16 loss to the Dolphins on Friday night, labelling his side “a part-time footy team”, which featured “only a handful of players that choose to come every week to play with the right mentality and toughness”.

The blue and golds must regroup against Manly next Friday, followed by the bye, then a full-strength Broncos at home and the Storm at Magic Round.
Arthur’s position is safe for now, but even he would admit the pressure will be right on if there are further capitulations like the one against the Dolphins, as well as the Raiders earlier this month.
Parramatta have been without halfback Mitchell Moses because of a foot fracture, but the true extent of Gutherson’s knee injury cannot be under-estimated.

The No.1 barely trained in the Top End during the week, and not for the first time required fluid drained from his knee on game day.
He underwent surgery on his right knee over the summer, but has continued to experience problems and chronic pain.
Painkilling injections do not help, while fans would have noticed him grimace in pain when he kicked the final goal.
Arthur knows the importance of Gutherson to the team, especially without Moses, but it will be inevitable the fullback needs time out of the game to recover if the pain becomes too much to bear.
Gutherson proved his toughness when he played the 2022 finals series, including the grand final loss to Penrith, with a broken hand.
The Eels are contracted to play one game per season in the Northern Territory until the end of next year, but the club is considering whether it remains a prudent move to keep taking games to the region after Friday’s devastating loss.
The relationship has been financially rewarding and Darwin proved a happy hunting ground in its early years. However, the blue and golds have conceded 105 points in their last three “home” games in the Northern Territory – all against Queensland teams – and scored just 36.
The trip, against opponents more accustomed to the tropical conditions, has been a physically taxing one that limits the team’s ability to prepare for their next assignment.
“As is the case with anything in the normal course of business, it’s something we need to reflect on and review,” said Parramatta chief executive Jim Sarantinos.
The immediate issue for Arthur is there are no troops ready to replace the players who were so disappointing against the Dolphins.
Daejarn Asi was ruled to have suffered category-two concussion symptoms, only for the bunker to rule he had displayed category-one symptoms.
Under the rules, he will be required to miss next Friday’s game against the Sea Eagles.
The Eels were planning to assess Asi before weighing up whether to ask the NRL for a medical clearance, which has happened in the past, most recently with Sam Walker at the Roosters.
There has been a push for Ethan Sanders to be given a debut in the halves, but there remain concerns about him being physically ready.
The Raiders on Monday made a three-year offer to Sanders, which he is expected to take up for the start of 2025.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We either kill the NT deal or demand we play a Southern state based team up there . The Storm make the most sense as they have lots of support up north.  

• The fcked up board and management are not realising  we have lost the past few games up in Darwin by playing QLD teams in the heat with recent rule changes that have sped up the game even more. Adding to that is the clueless coach who insist on picking a team of big slow forward pack and a backline that lacks speed and athleticism. He thinks you can just play the same style of footy like if it is in the middle of winter at CommBank stadium. This club does my head in. Bring back Fitzgerald. 

• Thankyou Zip Zip, I'm ready for my comeback.

• Someone here has previously claimed ( maybe Brettles ) that the NRL have insisted we play whomever they decide we play up there .  

• Compare that to Penrith for example, don't they get to play the Tigers every year at Bathurst for their home game away from home?

• We choose the NT . The NRL just decide who were are playing there. But yeah, interestingly The NRL don't make Penrith play say Canberra who'd be more used to Bathurst like climate and would have more supporters than The Tigers , in Bathurst.  Canberras feeder territory covers right out through Crookwell region and into Bathurst , so why don't they land The Faiders for that round ?

We are just dumb.  Remember we used to take a home game to fucking New Zealand to play The Warriors FFS. 

• In recent years we have been one of the good teams based on the following:

1 - Gutherson, he is just a winner

2 - Moses (kicking game is elite level)

3 - our starting middles (post contact metres and offloads in particular)

That's it. Everyone else can play, sure, but those are the reasons we have been pretty good. Without those reasons we would be spoon territory (including the year we made the GF).

Now, gutherson is breaking down, Moses is broken and our middle forwards are getting too old and look a bit over it for some reason. Worst still during this period we developed no one. Particularly backs. Literally no one is beyond "alright" or "ok". Most are probably below average to be fair. Heck taking off our blue and gold goggles you'd probably say most are well below average to the point they wouldn't make any other team.

Our goal this year is to avoid another spoon friends. That's what our aim should be. Sorry but we suck.

• Our current backline, and the backs we have as reserves are I think the worst in the comp. I include Gutho in this assessment this year because of his injury, as far as I can see, only Latrell Mitchell has supported his ball runners and offloaders less, or been entirely out of frame more on opposition try replays. 

Outside of injured Gutho, I think only Brown, Penisini, Simmonsen , and because of the myth factor, Sivo, would be playing first grade at any other club. Even with those players mentioned there, it's really only Brown who would easily stroll into any club. 

So combine this with a quality,  but severely underperforming forward pack , a lacklustre hooker and no halfback..we are definitely in for some monumental drubbings this season. 

• I think the NRL choose the side we play in Darwin. With QLD teams having support in the NT it makes more sense for the NRL to choose them over a NSW or Melb team with a smaller following.

• Why go there in April though. Much better (drier) conditions there in July.

Also, we should insist that we play there before a bye round.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Frankie Fong replied to Tad's discussion Scam watch Blog
"I remember when Phil and Super use to flood this this site with their dribble about how the reforms were going to do this and tha for the club  and how Max Donnelly was the man ,  these were the same two who also use to flood the site telling…"
7 minutes ago
The Badger replied to Tad's discussion Scam watch Blog
"Greatest response ever!!!"
10 minutes ago
Hugo replied to Tad's discussion Scam watch Blog
"Well said ! "
11 minutes ago
BEM replied to Tad's discussion Scam watch Blog
"Well they didn't lie Frankie. 
The reforms did transform the club.
The reforms transformed the club into the clusterfuck it is today."
15 minutes ago