ABC  NEWS

Facebook profile photo of City of Salisbury councillor Sarah Ouk.

A South Australian councillor says she was spat at during a coronavirus-related racist attack as she went to pick up groceries last week.

Key points:

  • A councillor in Adelaide's northern suburbs says she was shaken after a racist attack
  • The perpetrator then allegedly spat at her as she crossed the road
  • Anti-discrimination agencies have recorded a spike in racism reports

 

Councillor for the City of Salisbury Sarah Ouk said she was waiting on an island to cross a road on her way to pick up groceries last Monday when a man in a passing car shouted at her.

"[The driver] started to scream that 'you Asians bring corona[virus] to Australia'," Ms Ouk said.

"He stuck his head out and tried to do sneezing, coughing, and then he spat at me.

"I don't know whether it landed or not because my back was towards him."

After the car passed, Ms Ouk finished crossing the road and went into the store, but she said the incident had made her feel afraid.

"I crossed to the other side to go to Aldi with that fear — I was like 'what's happening? What did I do wrong?'" she said.

"I went in [with] all these mixed emotions … into the store, and then this couple was looking at me really weirdly like I'm full of viruses or something.

"I [thought] 'oh my god, oh my god, this is not good'.

"So, I just got all my groceries that I needed … and quickly came out and [went] back home."

'No-one deserves this'

Ms Ouk said she almost broke out in tears afterwards.

"I was really devastated — no one deserves this," she said.

"Everyone should have the equal opportunity to shop freely and shop safe.

"Racism … is not fair and it's not right.

"Anyone does not need this kind of behaviour — it's not on."

Ms Ouk said did not see the car's registration number, or see the man's face clearly, so she was unable to make a complaint about the incident to SA Police.

Ms Ouk arrived in Australia in 1986 with her mother as refugees from Cambodia.

However, an informal report was made to the Office of South Australia's Equal Opportunity Commissioner.

Commissioner Dr Niki Vincent described the attack as "sickening" and called on all Australians to show kindness to each other.

Racism reports increase during coronavirus pandemic

Dr Vincent said human rights and anti-discrimination agencies across the country had recorded an increase in racial discrimination complaints related to the coronavirus.

"Across Australia, there have been reports of nursing and medical staff being shunned because of their race, people being denied entry to places or services because of fears they will transmit COVID-19 and people of Asian heritage being racially abused while shopping," she said.

"I am sure most South Australians would agree that this kind of behaviour is incredibly harmful at an individual and community level.

"Can you imagine how your wellbeing would be impacted if you were out doing your shopping in this already stressful time, and then had a stranger racially attack you in public and accuses you of bringing COVID-19 to Australia?"

She added that racial abuse was against the law in Australia and that "this is a time when we need, more than ever, to be compassionate and kind".

"It's against the law to insult, humiliate or abuse someone in public because of their race," Dr Vincent said.

"As an inclusive, multi-racial and welcoming society, this kind of behaviour is unacceptable."

South Australians can report instances of discrimination to Dr Vincent's office via the website www.eoc.sa.gov.

Racial vilification can be reported to SA Police or to the Australian Human Rights Commission.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.

Latest comments

Muttman replied to LB's discussion V'Landys on Hello Sport
"FMD. I thought he was smart enough to be neutral in this. But here he is throwing his full support behind the Melbourne Storm publicly and we now have the private messages too. This is astonishing. "
15 minutes ago
Prof. Daz replied to LB's discussion V'Landys on Hello Sport
"At least there are now only two options for V'Landys when the court makes its determination. 
After V'Landys stupidly sided with Storm in saying $300k is fair, if the court goes that way then every NRL fan bar Storm dimwits will say the fix was in.…"
16 minutes ago
Prof. Daz replied to LB's discussion V'Landys on Hello Sport
"You forget, Mitchy, all the help the Orange turd gets from Russia and The Pedo Ring. That's your guy!"
21 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion V'Landys on Hello Sport
"Yep he said it can be used for their junior development
He said exactly it was a great deal."
1 hour ago
fake midget pseudoachondroplasia replied to LB's discussion V'Landys on Hello Sport
"This isn't just Vlandy's doing.  We all know certain clubs seem to get everything there own way and all this is doing is allowing the fans to see what has been happening for years due to the court case.
Protected clubs using the NRL to bully smaller…"
1 hour ago
fake midget pseudoachondroplasia replied to Hell On Eels's discussion The Eels v Lomax: Timeline and Key Questions
"Lomax has played this perfectly for his boxing career not so much for his footy career or reputation.
If he is as good as reports say, he will earn a lot in boxing as he is getting the public to hate him which means they will tune in hoping he gets…"
1 hour ago
Mitchy replied to Hell On Eels's discussion The Eels v Lomax: Timeline and Key Questions
"HOE, spot on, and you can only assume (and I know we can assume a lot) that his has occurred. I am really impressed with the club here and just hope we can get a decent win from this; as if not it will mean that the NRL and the stronger clubs…"
1 hour ago
Poppa replied to Hell On Eels's discussion The Eels v Lomax: Timeline and Key Questions
"He certainly has Bobbie, I have been a past admirer of PVL and his astuteness, in this area he has shown himself to be complacent and mis reading the room...... My suspicions are he has become over confident and probably tired, unfortunately for him…"
2 hours ago
Poppa replied to Hell On Eels's discussion The Eels v Lomax: Timeline and Key Questions
"Hoey, That's an excellent point re Crawley.....one of the side benefits of these issues is seeing how the media is manipulated by their masters......its not just sugar you get when sqeezing cane, there is the side benefit of the Rum! Lol
 "
2 hours ago
Hell On Eels replied to Hell On Eels's discussion The Eels v Lomax: Timeline and Key Questions
"Thanks, Mitchy. 
It's interesting, Crawley was emphatic on Feb 12 in backing the Eels, labelling Lomax’s case “complete nonsense.”
Since then, there’s been no follow-up column on Lomax despite significant reported developments, including messages…"
2 hours ago
Muttman replied to LB's discussion V'Landys on Hello Sport
"I didn't see the entire interview. Did he really say he thought $300k was a great deal? "
2 hours ago
LB replied to LB's discussion V'Landys on Hello Sport
"Anyone hear Brent Read? He said no issues with what Rodski did. He said all clubs contact Abdo. What he is not getting is the wording. Applying blowtorch is pretty much saying to the NRL "Get them to accept whatever we want" plus he must've missed…"
2 hours ago
Mitchy replied to LB's discussion V'Landys on Hello Sport
"Ohh please Randy....."
2 hours ago
Parra fan on The Hill replied to SuperEel 22's discussion Ryles 2.0: 2026 gets off to a bright start in Eels trial
"I think Samrani could be a choice on the wing. He's a big boy and posted some great numbers yesterday. 15 runs for 168 metres of which 50 were post contact. I didnt recall him being pushed back once. He has intent and plays hard. Really like this…"
3 hours ago
SuperEel 22 replied to SuperEel 22's discussion Ryles 2.0: 2026 gets off to a bright start in Eels trial
"Tago's contract finishes this year. I imagine we'll be releasing him and replacing him either with an external signing or a junior."
3 hours ago
Hector Bob Down replied to Hell On Eels's discussion Picking Up Where We Left Off?
"Agee BE"
4 hours ago
More…

Keaon done deal

As of Thursday, December 11, 2025, South Sydney Rabbitohs forwardKeaon Koloamatangi has reportedly agreed to a deal with the Parramatta Eels, but it is not yet officially announced by the clubs.  Soon to be announced.

Read more…
14 Replies · Reply by Poppa Jan 9
Views: 2079

 

V'Landys on Hello Sport

Happy Monday, if anyone wants a good laugh to start their week, skip to 32:50 mark and listen to this f***wit talk. It is laughable seriously. Claiming the offer of $300k was a great deal and we can put that into our junior system. But said we can…

Read more…
36 Replies · Reply by Muttman 15 minutes ago
Views: 1529

<script src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<!-- Sidebar -->
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<script>// <![CDATA[
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
// ]]></script>