WHY SOME CLUBS ARE ALWAYS ON TOP

An article by Paul Crawley “

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery. And after copping it for years about their so-called salary cap sombrero, now it seems rival clubs are trying to buy what the Roosters have developed. 

The NRL’s changing landscape was highlighted this week when Newcastle parted ways with Nathan Brown — and Roosters coach Trent Robinson’s assistants Craig Fitzgibbon and Adam O’Brien went straight to the top of the Knights’ most wanted list.

But as Roosters have tried to tell us for years, it’s not as easy as just going out and buying the best.

For so long this has been the annual jealousy campaign run against the Roosters.

But finally people are starting to wake up to the fact that it is the system and structures Nick Politis has put in place that is the backbone to the Roosters’ ongoing success.

Just putting the Roosters’ squad up against this weekend’s opponents St George Illawarra is a good example that it is not always about how much you spend.

For instance, the Dragons spent more than $1 million-a-season for Ben Hunt on a five-year deal that is already starting to look very shaky.

Yet the Roosters spent in the same ballpark for Cooper Cronk but only on a two-year deal, and Cronk already has a premiership to show for it.

Other marquee halves earning similar money include Michael Morgan, Anthony Milford, Ash Taylor, Mitchell Pearce, Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran.

Who would be considered the shrewdest buy?

Cronk’s experience and professionalism have also been instrumental in the development of other players.

Luke Keary was picked up for a bargain because he was on the outer at South Sydney and has since established himself as one of the competition’s genuine superstars, and Cronk’s influence has played no small part.

On the flip side James Tedesco is a wonderful example of how the right club can also bring out the best in the player.

Like with Cronk, plenty of rival clubs would have paid every cent if not more than the Roosters were offering Tedesco.

But since moving from Wests Tigers, Tedesco has gone from being a very good fullback to arguably the game’s best player.

I can’t help but wonder if that would have been the case if Tedesco had chosen the Bulldogs instead.

The other thing about the Roosters is that they have an amazing knack of identifying junior talent and then developing it into long term success.

Daniel Tupou came from playing under 20s at Parramatta. Latrell Mitchell came through the Roosters’ junior system as did Joey Manu. They are now rated among the game’s best centres.

Both are negotiating new deals as we speak.

Manu is expected to stay for less than he could receive elsewhere, although the Roosters might struggle to keep Mitchell.

The Roosters have made it known they want Latrell but will not be drawn into a bidding war.

If Latrell goes, sure as night follows day, they will find someone to replace him.

They always do.

When the Roosters couldn’t afford to match the money Parramatta was offering Blake Ferguson they went and bought two world class replacements in Brett Morris and Ryan Hall for basically a two-for-one deal.

Remember, Morris was unwanted by the Bulldogs, while the Englishman wanted the chance to prove himself in the NRL.

In the forwards, the Roosters have an outstanding mix of experience and youth. But is the Roosters’ pack any more star-studded than the Dragons’ forwards, or many of the NRL’s packs?

Significantly, only Angus Crichton was poached on big money.

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves had only played a handful of first grade games at Manly before he arrived, and he has since knocked back huge offers to stay at Bondi.

Co-captains Boyd Cordner and Jake Friend were developed as teenagers and could command more money elsewhere, as could veteran Mitch Aubusson who is one of the game’s genuine unsung heroes. Victor Radley also came through the system.

Sio Siua Taukeiaho had played one NRL game for the Warriors in 2013 before he signed with the Roosters in 2015. Isaac Liu was in the Wests Tigers under 20s. Sam Verrills was a Manly junior. Zane Tetevano was unwanted after running into some trouble at Newcastle.

Would these players be as highly rated if they were at rival clubs?

The other thing the Roosters do so well is know when it is time to make the tough decisions, like we saw with Pearce when Cronk became available.

They also made the call to let the likes of Aidan Guerra, Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Connor Watson also go to Newcastle, Kane Evans to Parramatta, while Dylan Napa was free to take a bigger offer at the Bulldogs.

The Roosters don’t regret too many decisions when it comes to recruitment.

But they rarely get the recognition they deserve.

The fact is sustained success does not necessarily come down to who has the most money, but how wisely it is spent.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Elvis do you know Pops history on this site ? If you did you may throw up the frutloops you had for breakfast.  

• This reply was deleted.
                • Poppa how about you answer some simple questions with a simple yes or no and not dance around them like you like to do ?

1. Why don't you mention the exact industry association it was ?  Are you embarrassed because it is a very low class industry? 

2. Why don't you post the article if you are not afraid and embarrassed 

3. Are you stating that you never use to send msgs to certain mods telling them who was good and bad for the site  and that they should be banned?  

4. Are stating that you never left the site because you were caught out doing the above and  members were giving it to you left right and centre ? 

5. Are you stating that after you left the site that  a couple of weeks later  you never came back on under a new name and sent me a message saying " it's Popa  here,  would it be okay by you if i came back on the site as long as I keep out of you're way? " 

6. While we are at it , are you stating that you never chased  a good decent man in Brett Allen around the site for 3 months , abusing him snd belittling him  over his religious faith to the point he quit as a site mod ? 

Now keep in mind that  are over a dozen memberd no about everything i have asked you as . Ciao mala Vecchio . 

• Ahh so it's okay for you to venture off a subject matter but not others ? Loke the true hypocrite you are . 

The fear of people finding out the truth about you is why you donr answer 

Why don't you prove that what I'm saying is fantasy and being twisted ?  Anyone can post a blog asking about you and you're history on the site and it would be filled with posts all saying the same thing about you as they all remember.  

• Lol very good. 

• Frankie, Haynes case did involve the club as trip a deal is a club sponsor.  I think each club has set value of TPAs that can be from approved sponsors so is basically just another component of the salary cap as is the allowance for long serving players.

I think they should all TPAs should be published and it would no doubt attract the interest of the ATO and the public who may then become aware of rorting through association with listed companies.

However as the NRL and clubs aren't supposed to be involved in TPAs I believe that will be the compromise that the NRL will have to give to make these changes occur.  The players union are fighting the publication of salaries claiming privacy however all contract values are speculated anyway so where is the privacy issue.  The NRL will have to give the players association something in return for getting any changes and transparency and lifting the cap is no longer an option due to the likely reduced contract for next broadcasting deal.

• Yes you are correct FM 

• Full financial details of every player's contract and TPA arrangements  should be a matter of public record to provide the transparency that would eliminate the negative conjecture or perception that exists about certain clubs having an unfair advantage over their rivals. It's a no brainer and why the NRL doesn't just demand that it happens only makes it appear that Greenburg and co are protecting certain clubs for their own reasons. The players and the Player's Association are against it of course but I don't think there are any legal barriers to prevent publication of this information. If it's allowed in the big money US sports why doesn't the NRL use that as a justification to introduce measures that would appease public perceptions about the integrity of the game. The current situation lacks credibility and leaves fans frustrated and angry so why doesn't the NRL take action to make it disappear.

• & what makes me even more angry is seeing Todd greenberg in the roosters sheds after tonight’s game. 

• Frank reads the Terrorgraph. That explains a lot.

• This article is a snow job. You can’t just keep signing new players and upgrading current players on massive coin, think Manu, Keary Cordner and Mitchell. Some years ago they told Hargreaves he was free to negotiate with other clubs. Ricky offered him a super deal to head off to the Raiders and all of a sudden Roosters found room in the cap to sign him.

Player greed is alive and well. Think Kaylan Ponga. When the offers are there they will run. Being a good club with a good coach is one thing but players will always leave for a better deal.

In the last couple of weeks stories have emerged out of Manly about their ability to extend both Thompson and Dylan Walker. Surprise surprise both players have come out in the media and stated they will take unders to stay with Dessie and Manly.

So have we heard this before of course last time Des was coaching Manly, Watmough, Lyon,Stewart brothers and others all claiming the same story until the truth came out and Manly were in fact over the cap and receiving illegal TPA form a lady out Manly way.

I don’t understand Crawly taking this story on. People are right to question the story. It is rubbish 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Graham polkinghorne replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 8 Team List v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (ANZAC Round)
"I think the Eels peaked in 2022 and are on the downhill slide. If nothing changes we will be bottom 3 and another spoon in the near future.
 "
30 minutes ago
Graham polkinghorne replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 8 Team List v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (ANZAC Round)
"I think the next 3 games will decide Brad's future at the Eels. His team know he is under pressure from the media and a poor performance from them will be his death knell."
40 minutes ago
"Wrong. Matt Arthur is playing in the 9 because he earned the right. Mett is a very smart player.
So is Hands and he should be the run on 9 in FG."
1 hour ago
"I agree with ya bud. Junior stated iam the 10 and will wear the 10. Starting or off the bench.
If Ethan is starting as the halfback then he is in the 7."
1 hour ago
More…