Who, Why How - realistic Coach 2025

Who should coach Eels in 2025, Why and how do we get them?

After 37 years without a Premiership Eels supporters seem unable to fantasize and just want to be realists - refering to the Coach 2024 blog that was just meant to ask who people (hypothetically) thought was the best coach for the eels at the moment regardless of any realistic chance that this would happen.

While I hate the Storm because they robbed us of a Hayne era premiership, they do seem to have had a core of very smart footballers. Not sure who is the best out of Bellamy, Smith, Cronk and Slatter. However, there seems likely a change of guard at Storm with one or both of Smith and Slatter taking over from Bellamy. Don't think we have a chance of Smith or Cronk. Bellamy has the track record as an elite coach who can bring premierships, and has the reputation. We need someone of that callibre to get a fairer deal from the NRL and Bellamy may be able to bring a few rising stars from the Storm system - including the ones that started at Parra. He would also be able to attract players for reasonable money from other clubs. My first choice would be Bellamy. How is maybe unrealistic; but, Bellamy has only had success in the Storm system. He gave up/failed at SOO. To really be considered an elite coach like Bennett or Gibson he needs to succeed in another system. Hassler and Cleary in my book are not elite coaches. Hassler only succeeded in the Manly system but failed at the Dogs. Cleary failed at Penrith and Tigers and only succeeded in the Penrith system once everything was in place for him. Bellamy's legacy needs proof in another system and what better than the Eels system that is not a basket case but has not produced a Premiership for 37 years and does not look close to cracking a spot as a top tier team. Time for the next gen at Storm and he needs to proove his ability elsewhere. If that does not work I would try Slatter. I doubt he would see us as anything but a stepping stone to a side he would prefer to coach and we may risk players going with him. However, so be it if he can produce a premiership for us before he leaves, which is a good chance if he can reproduce what he has done in SOO and does not need the think-tank he had around him or can still acces it. 

BTW the best coaches voted in the 2024 blog were BA, Slatter, Hannay, Bellamy, McDermott, Bennett, Holbrook, Cronk, Ben Teo, Barrett, Ryan Carr, Madge, John Morriss and Hornby

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Bellamy is a pipe dream. 

Once he retires from coaching, he will go into a coaching directors role.

I can't see him ever leaving the Storm and if he did it would probably be for a Queensland club.

• He is from country NSW and coached NSW SOO, otherwise you are probably correct

• Yes he is but I'm pretty sure most of his family are in Queensland. 

• Yeah they are, which is why he nearly took the 17th team job which was at the time a guarenteed Brisbane team. Also linked heavily with Broncos.

• All of us are absolutely guessing.

None of us have any idea what plans any coach would have for the club or what ideas they would have to take our club to the next level. I think we should be bringing in any candidate that wants to apply for the job and hearing what they have to say and that includes BA.

All we do know is we have a group of players that are comfortable (perhaps no longer evolving much under BA) and what we've seen BA do with the side over the last decade. Add that to the fact the teams performance regressed over the last 12 months and NO coach in history has taken a team to where we want to go this late in a tenure and its time to shake things up or accept being mid. Sadly I think this board might be content with raping the diehards pockets with increased membership bottom line and putting out a team that competes for the 8.

• How many accountants and actuaries are on this fucking board? That's all they care about $$$

• Anthony Griffin/ith. He would be exceptional and his post match conferences are well worth the entry fee alone

• Well Cleary coached Penrith 2012-2015 with a 45% win rate

Griffin coached 2016-2018

After Griffin Cleary Coached 2019 - now with a 76% win rate

Don't know if it was Griffin but getting him in for 3 years seemed to work wonders

• He's old school type coach but you just never know. Sometimes the old ways are better and sometimes they're not

• not a chance the blokes an idiot

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Tad replied to SuperEel 22's discussion Parramatta's Season Balances On A Razor's Edge
"Poppa  at 73 I have trouble remembering the names of some of the groups I belong to. Who knows Bennet may end up selecting a cleaner at the club to play centre . Maybe a bit like Trumpy who often thinks he won the election against Obama "
13 minutes ago
Parramatta Tragic replied to The Captain's discussion Board Update: Two Directors retire from Parra Eels.board
"I have sat on Boards and I have never been the smartest person in the room. What I did have was the best advice from people that were glad to help the goals I was trying to achieve. That advice came from a World Chairman of one of the world's…"
55 minutes ago
Poppa replied to The Captain's discussion Board Update: Two Directors retire from Parra Eels.board
"You don't need to be a great player to be on a football board, management experience and a quota of football/sport administration and understanding is the imperative along with a degree of entrenprenaural understanding..
Contrary to Wiz's…"
1 hour ago
Parramatta Tragic replied to The Captain's discussion Board Update: Two Directors retire from Parra Eels.board
"Didn't I read recently where Parramatta Council has become a sponsor of the Eels? Maybe part of that agreement was that in return they had someone on the football club Board?"
1 hour ago
More…