From the Daily Telegraph

The axing of South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou turns the blowtorch onto another struggling mentor in Parramatta’s Brad Arthur, adding a layer of intrigue to the Rabbitohs’ pursuit of Wayne Bennett.

Demetriou and Eels coach Arthur started the week as the NRL’s most under-pressure coaches.

Now, Demetriou no longer has a job.

Arthur has the unwavering support of Parramatta powerbrokers but with the Eels facing another season of finals oblivion, the coach’s job security is looking tenuous.

The Eels are languishing in 14th on the NRL ladder and now have to turn their season around without both general Mitchell Moses (foot) and skipper Clint Gutherson (knee).

It feels like an uphill battle for Arthur. One he must conquer to not only silence detractors but the rumours – which refuse to go away – about Bennett lurking in the shadows waiting for a chance to pounce.

f092a8800565a0778b2cefe16667a8d0

The axing of South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou turns the blowtorch onto another struggling mentor in Parramatta’s Brad Arthur. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly has made Bennett the No.1 priority and has already started work to get the deal done and Bennett has declared his interest in taking over from Demetriou.

It leaves Parramatta at risk of missing out on the coach that is arguably best suited to replace Arthur if the club does eventually part ways with the coach.

Interestingly, South Sydney are also monitoring Arthur’s situation at the Eels.

For many pundits, Bennett returning to South Sydney on unfinished business, after taking the side to the 2021 grand final, is a foregone conclusion.

But Bennett, who has won seven titles, is a shrewd operator – one that would know Parramatta is actually the more attractive proposition.

The situation at South Sydney is dire.

The side has only won two games since late August last year, there is speculation the playing group is fractured and talk management is not on the same page.

The best football appears to be behind the likes of Cody Walker and Damien Cook while Latrell Mitchell remains an enigma and the club is betting on an untried NRL commodity in St Helens halfback Lewis Dodd to lead a revival.

Parramatta are in a far better shape overall. Ironically, a lot of that is on Arthur.

Boasting the likes of Moses, Gutherson, Junior Paulo and youngsters like Dylan Brown and Will Penisini, the Eels should be in a premiership window.

a6ea2235054f93fc8053f0b8cfe46dfb

Demetriou and Eels coach Brad Arthur started the week as the NRL’s most under-pressure coaches. But now Demetriou no longer has a job. Picture: AAP.

No one is better at taking an experienced, but balanced side that is ripe for the picking to the next level than Bennett.

The club identified the outside backs as a position that needed strengthening and have now added Zac Lomax, arguably the form outside back in the NRL, to the mix.

It took over 12 months to land the right player, but the club managed to achieve what it set out to do.

Unlike South Sydney, Parramatta also have a seriously promising crop of young talent coming through.

The likes of playmakers Blaize Talagi and Ethan Sanders lead a cohort of impressive youngsters that also includes hooker Matt Arthur, centre Richard Penisini and forwards Charlie Gymer and Sam Tuivaiti.

The lure of winning a title at the Eels and achieving a feat no other coach has been able to since 1986, is hard to refuse for a coach like Bennett.

The option of choosing Parramatta is likely to be taken from Bennett with Parramatta unlikely to make a move on Arthur any time soon.

It begs the question, if not Arthur or Bennett, then who?

e4b76585a0fc98f6b36279f09e59c404

Jason Ryles is an option but is unlikely to leave the Storm even if Craig Bellamy does coach for another season. Michael Maguire is committed to the NSW Blues for at least two seasons.

Cronulla and Queensland assistant Josh Hannay is highly regarded and seen as the next NRL head coach in waiting.

But given the pressure the Eels gig comes with, and the very big personalities in the roster, the job is better suited to someone with plenty of experience.

While Arthur is safe for now, the club can’t deny that serious consideration must be given to a change of personnel.

Not at the coaching level but in the roster.

Once a formidable proposition, Parramatta’s forward pack is well below the mark in 2024.

The Eels rely heavily on the likes of Paulo, Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Joe Ofahengaue to generate go forward momentum and less on outside back carries out of yardage.

But the added workload is denting the effectiveness of the side’s power game, especially in the second half of matches.

Instead of big middles bending the line, it has exposed the Eels of lacking agility and mobility in the forward pack – a cornerstone in the modern game.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• They call him flipper, flipper faster than lightening.

No one you see, is smarter than he.

And we know flipper, lives in a world full of wonder, flying there under, under the sea!!!

Betcha he's sniffing around here today..

• The current board has no doubt been a huge issue for the club but if they want to redeem themselves for the misery they have caused fans then they have to offer Bennett whatever it takes to get him , eels fans need something major to boost their hopes and it would also send sponsorship though the roof and attract business people to the club . 

• Good post Frankie, that all makes sense to me, most certainly would have people talking about us with a positive slant.

• I actually feel for the Parramatta board as there will be huge pressure on them to make the right decision. Brad Arthur has been in charge of the coaching there for so long and if he is sacked there will be a big backlash from a lot of supporters, players and fans. 

But they just need to do it. This is what they are paid for, even if we dont get Bennett the board needs to move in another direction. 

An extension for Brad Arthur will be the death of this club. 

• I think there will be more backlash extending him if we miss the 8 to be fair Hugo.

• And here we are Pops do you really have confidence in this board getting Bennett over the line be honest ?

If they can't get rid of a coach that's looking by the day past his used by date what hope do you have of them executing the above.

It all starts from the top what hope are we if 1 they don't lead and won't make tough decisions and 2 get someone in charge who has a long term plan for the club a roadmap to get us there.

People rag on Gus but I tell you now if he were in charge of our football department we'd be in a whole different stratosphere than we are now.

• Agree. Gus is a ...different beast but BA would have been gone straight after that spoon in what was it ? 2018 ?

• I said all along I could see no reason why Bennett would come to Parra, but I also said it would be a great challenge for him.

The short answer is NO and what surprised me was the seeming belief that if we went after him (subjectively and rightfully we don't know) that he would come.......Coryn its like trying to buy players, we seem to have a mentality that we just go out there and pluck them off the tree. Remember I wrote a blog about Parra not being an attractive venue.

I still hope we snag Bennett but that "hope" is up there with I "hope" we make the finals (not likely).

BUT I am always an optimist and if some say black, I will say why not white and vice versa!

10856861693?profile=RESIZE_400x

• 3849311192?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Mutts had the right idea we need a Ponissi Cameron type moreso than a head coach regardless who it is.

While the FG coach is important the guy like the above mentioned is more important for our situation because we are broken from the top down.

Me I'm more interested in the director of football moreso than the FG coach.Im not excited about getting Bennett because he's not solving what ales us.

http://coach.Im/
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Coryn Hughes replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Nrl 360 - Moses
"There saying Moses is touch and go regardless he struggled to get through a running session this last week.If I'm Moses I'd shut it down until he's totally right and that's for Parra also.If leaving it a couple more weeks is the play then do that as…"
39 seconds ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Nrl 360 - Moses
"It's how desperate NSW are.
There not thinking about a player coming back from injury whose been out 2 months it's only about them.If they think bringing Moses back with no game time is sensible there farked regardless."
3 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Tanker's discussion Fong and chief are my heros
"Go down to a Parra training and let your feelings be known to the coach as online isn't going to cut it."
5 minutes ago
Kurupt - Part Time Coach replied to swiftedtayla's discussion rape allegation
"Shouldn't be too hard to figure out who, if the charge carries an 11 year prison term then the nrl needs to stand them down."
25 minutes ago
More…