Tim Mannah on BA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOmvq-Z7VJo

Interesting to hear him talk about BA, saying he kep the key players onside and when in pressure those key players rally the others to support him but when push comes to shove over the board discussing the future of BA the key players are the ones asked and they support him. He is right, all coaches do it and the ones who do not get sacked from the key players. But are we possibly seeing the non key players speaking up now?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yep, captain. Bias, favouritism, nepotism, hierarchies: it's also animal kingdom 101. Happens in both matriarchal or patriarchal hierarchies. Frans Der Waal, a renowned anthropologist, calls it "empathy bias". It's as old as time. Even before humans existed on Earth, viruses had and still have favoured hosts.

I suppose just the fact Mannah came out and said it "publicly" suggesting the inner circle can slack off - they get "leniency" and don't cop "the sprays" was intriguing. Then, they in turn protect BA's behind when senior management comes probing or the coach is under pressure. You scratch my back, I scratch yours; quid pro quo. Exquisite timing, too.

It's kind of an "airing of some dirty laundry", most casually and comfortably. It was then followed with "I don't want to criticize BA too much" and oh, "Many coaches do it anyway."

It is somewhat reminiscent of the themes we saw when Burgess left Souths last year in dramatic circumstances amid accusations of player "favouritism". Burgess' problem wasn't with the players per se, it was that he believed it wasn't a premiership standard culture.

We don't have a premiership culture either IMO. And I reckon not everyone in our squad has the best off-field habits or at training. Mannah has essentially admitted to some of that publicly. It's implied. And then, from there, you wonder what else is there.

• Leadership groups should be given more responsibility in the team and more ability to reinforce and drive the coaches standards.

they shouldn't be given shortcuts at training , favouritism and treated above the rest of the group when it comes to overlooking their mistakes , criticism etc.. seems Brad knows who he needs to keep happy to keep things ticking along but it says a lot about why our culture is being exposed at the moment. BA is a man manager which is one part of being a coach . 

• He did say it happens in pretty much every team.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Slugg replied to Axel's discussion Can we still make the 8
"Mathematically yes, realistically no chance"
58 seconds ago
Axel posted a discussion
16 rounds left, of which one of them is a bye.Last year the cut off was 32 points, which means we have to win 11 games out 15 to be assured of a spot in the 8. Maybe be 10 wins will be enough but our for and against numbers aren't favourable right…
7 minutes ago
Longfin Eel replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion 'Knew what was coming' BA
"Mind you, we had no idea that they were speaking to Bennett, so there could still be more to it that they are keeping close to their chest. If not, and we are back to square one on the coach front, they are truly out of their depth."
10 minutes ago
Axel replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion 'Knew what was coming' BA
"We don't know if they have a plan B in the same manner we didn't know they were talking to Bennett. But I agree with you Coryn, they don't fill me with confidence they'll be able to make the right decisions for the club.
 "
17 minutes ago
More…