The Truth Hurts: Article

News.com.au: News NRL

The Australian: Martin Gabor

The truth hurts’: Eels defend Brad Arthur and vow to bounce back following horror loss in Darwin

Brad Arthur’s position as Eels coach has come under fire following their shocking second half in Darwin, but the players know where the blame lies.

Parramatta’s senior players say the pressure should be on the team and not coach Brad Arthur after he called them a “part-time team” following their second-half capitulation against the Dolphins that has raised question marks about his future.

The Eels were embarrassed in Darwin last week, conceding eight tries in 25 minutes as the weakened Dolphins tore them to shreds.

The Dolphins raced away with eight tries in 25 minutes to embarrass the Eels. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty ImagesThe Dolphins raced away with eight tries in 25 minutes to embarrass the Eels. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

“If you watched the second half, it looked like we didn’t know each other and we hadn’t trained together,” veteran prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard said on Tuesday.

“It’s not panic stations, but it’s a bit of a wake-up call for the whole team.

“It was a little embarrassing to see the 40 minutes in that second half. We’ve addressed it and we’re looking forward to this week.

“Things weren’t going well for us. We’ve sat down, watched it and nullified where we’ve got to fix it.”

The fallout from Friday’s loss has involved some very honest chats amongst the playing group who have vowed to take the pressure off their coach by not letting him down ever again.

Brad Arthur is under pressure but appeared in control at Tuesday’s training session. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty ImagesBrad Arthur is under pressure but appeared in control at Tuesday’s training session. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

“Brad has copped it for 12 or 13 years. It’s not his fault. The onus is on us,” Campbell-Gillard said.

“Being one of the senior players here, I’m more than happy to cop the brunt of it. I’m sure our other senior boys are willing to put their hand up as well.

“It’s not nice to see what’s happened to Brad given what he’s done for this club. He’ll always put his hand up and face the media and take the brunt of it, but for the performances we’ve been dishing out, we have to (take responsibility).

“There’s a lot of honesty at this club and no beating around the bush. It’s very straight down the line.

“If you can’t take any criticism and judgment, then I think you’re in the wrong sport. It’s about holding everyone accountable and making sure everyone is accountable for their actions and how they played.”

Clint Gutherson is expecting a big turnaround after some honest chats this week. Picture: NRL PhotosClint Gutherson is expecting a big turnaround after some honest chats this week. Picture: NRL Photos

Skipper Clint Gutherson sat next to Arthur after the game last week and said on Tuesday that the Eels let their fans down with a performance that came just a fortnight after they conceded 41 against Canberra.

“Everyone respects what he says and what he does. We’re letting him, the coaching staff, the club and the fans down at the moment. It’s on us,” he said, confident they’ll produce a proper 80-minute performance against Manly this week.

“You never want to hear that from your coach, but the truth hurts sometimes and you’ve got to hear it.

“If you’re not willing to hear what the bad things are and you just want to hear the good things, then you don’t really last too long in the game.

“He’s really challenged us this week to get back to doing all the little things right.

“You can’t get all the highs all the time. It’s like any other job – if you’re not doing something right, then someone has to pick you up on it.

“It shouldn’t take this long for Brad to have to say it after a game for it to get a reaction, but that’s what it is.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hugo, what did Nathan Brown actually say? I never heard what he said. There was lots of alleged comment but I've not seen any quotes 

• Sorry mate not going there. All I can say is that I was told on very good authority that it was that it was one of those meetings where everyone was encouraged to be honest. I think most people know the subject. 

• I know what you're talking about. I was not sure if Brown had been credited with any quotes - funny what club he's with now. 

• It is ironic thats for sure. Things have changed of course, the subject is no longer 18 as he was then. 

• Not going there because your 'very good authority' knows jack shit. Browns downfall was his liaison with Hayne.

• Ok pal whatever. It's old news and Nathan is in a far better place.

• More warm n fuzzy articles that get my nuts tingling with excitement. Want action, not words

• YAWN!!!!!!!!

• yep. Same same for 10 odd years. Just try every bloody game you pretenders. One game does not make a footy player, it has to be consistent, and they are not. As BA said "they are part time footballers" can I add " And full time pretenders for most of them."

• I don't think it's a case of BS with RCG saying this. I think he actually believes it, I think many of the players actually believe it. But BA has been there so long, the entirety of some of the players careers in some cases, and I don't think they know or remember what actual honesty and accountability look like.
    I think they are seeing a 'that wasn't good mate, be better next week' as brutal honesty, when they should be hearing 'that was pathetic, you're out, and if you think you deserve this jersey, earn your spot back with stand out performances in NSW Cup'

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Hell On Eels replied to The Captain's discussion Board Update: Two Directors retire from Parra Eels.board
"That's interesting Tragic, I'm not sure if Parramatta Council has become a sponsor but Sue Coleman - who many here poo-poo-ed, shat on, and pissed on with pleasure -  for her 30-year plus community service and council work has been an executive on…"
7 minutes ago
BringBackSemi replied to Nitram's discussion Canberra won, what now?
"Canberra did really well, but Manly also choked. Garrick was potting every conversion last week (I think he was 100% too). He missed like 3 last night. He gets those, Manly win. Lodge drops it cold off a kick off, there was another that Whitehead…"
11 minutes ago
Michael Ericson replied to Nitram's discussion Canberra won, what now?
"They only beat manly. I reckon if Sivo didn't brain fart we probably go on and beat them without our halfback last week too. Manly are crap "
22 minutes ago
Nitram posted a discussion
We have heard it, we have thought it, we have said it, heck, even the club has said it to justify not sacking our coach. But there's no excuses now for having players out.Canberra were missing their halfback, fullback and three forwards that would…
25 minutes ago
More…