THE TALE OF TWO CLUBS

Read the article below, and compare the differences between the bunnies management and the rubbish that Parramatta has had since 2017.

Souths  don't sit back and tolerate failure or make excuses for it like the eels do and you only need read the part about  how the loss to the storm was the final straw. 

In contrast, when Parramatta got humiliated in a record loss by the storm in 2018 when the bush coach was steering the club to the wooden spoon the eels board gave him a new contact.

Like I always said , the same people who told you that Steve Sharp was going to be wonderful for the club are the exact same people who told this rubbish and the method in which they were selected was also going to be wonderful for the club.

If you're a Souths fan, at least you know your club won't be allowed to flounder and fail for long. 

For while the bunnies management aren't perfect and make mistakes, at least they have standards for their club and know when things are unacceptable enough to make changes.

Parramatta's management, on the other hand, have low standards, make excuses for failing, reward failure and don't like making changes. 

NRL 2024: South Sydney CEO Blake Solly on Jason Demetriou sacking, Wayne Bennett interest

South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly has fronted the media, revealing the moment the club made the decision to sack Jason Demetriou, while confirming Wayne Bennett is a target.

South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly has lavished praise on seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett as the Rabbitohs prepare to unveil a replacement for Jason Demetriou within weeks, not months.

Solly fronted the media on Tuesday morning at Souths’ Heffron Park headquarters, outlining the board’s decision to sack Demetriou less than 24 hours earlier and hitting back at criticism of the club over their handling of his dismissal.

He also gave Bennett a ringing endorsement as the club begins the process of identifying the coach they want to lead them next season.

Bennett, who spent three years at Souths and took the club to a grand final, is at the front of that queue as he prepares to hand over the reins at the Dolphins to his successor Kristian Woolf at the end of the season.

“Wayne is one of the coaches we will talk to,” Solly said.

“Wayne had great success here, left the club on very good terms. We’ll speak to Wayne and if he’s available and he’s interested certainly we’ll progress that.

Pushed on whether Bennett’s prior success in bringing out the best in the Iikes of Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell would count in his favour, Solly said: “It’s a strong consideration. I do know Wayne likes success.

“I know he wants to win premierships, and I know he loves the values of the club and what we stand for.

“I think he’s made that pretty clear during his time here; his affection for the club, the ownership, the board and the management.

“We will certainly be speaking to Wayne because he left the place in very good shape when he left and he was very good when he was here.

“He was a pleasure to deal with.”

Demetriou was axed on Monday night after a day of deliberation at Souths, the club’s high-powered board making the call after taking into consideration the club’s woeful end to last season and awful start to this one.

timeline0_yjYw-9uMCo.jpg

Demetriou had prepared a presentation of his own to push his cause, but it eventually fell on deaf ears as the board unanimously opted to head in a different direction after convening two meetings at either end of an emotional day for the club.

Assistant coach Ben Hornby, who has been appointed as an interim for the remainder of the season, took his first training session on Tuesday morning.

The Rabbitohs gave Demetriou a stay of execution only a fortnight ago but Solly conceded the performance against Melbourne - they were flogged at AAMI Park - had been the final straw.

“Our view that the one game was indicative of an inability to turn it around and that we needed to make a quick decision,” Solly said.

“Unfortunately, we didn’t think Jason’s coach style would be able to get the change we needed, or the improvement we needed.

“Given that we sit 17th on the table and our for-and-against is 50 points worse than 16th, I think now is the time to make a change.”

Asked whether he could understand the external view that the club was a rabble, Solly shot back: “Rabble might be a strong word. I can understand it hasn’t been particularly consistent or smooth sailing over the last few weeks.

“We’ve tried to support the coach and tried to give him as much backing as we could but I think, over the weekend, everyone realised that change was needed and unfortunately the change had to be Jason.”

Solly also dismissed comments from Demetriou’s agent Chris Orr that his client had been treated poorly.

2383de589ed450db0fe13302777d8392Former South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou (L) and CEO Blake Solly. Picture: Julian Andrews. 
Former South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou (L) and CEO Blake Solly. Picture: Julian Andrews

“Jason spent three years here as an assistant coach, was appointed to succeed Wayne very early on in his tenure as an assistant,” Solly said.

“The club gave Jason every single opportunity to have success and for half of that period he did. But results over the last 12 months haven’t been good enough for a club of our stature and whilst it’s no criticism of Jason and how hard he works, the last 20 games speak for themselves.

“For his agent to say he’s been treated shabbily in the context of a year’s worth of patience and support, I think is unfair. And I’m not sure Jason would share that view.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• No doubt Bennett would want the least amount of controversy. 
        I've said it many times now, if I was CEO I would have terminated BA this week during the bye, appointed Barrett as caretaker and been straight on the phone to Bennett. Why delay the inevitable? Be upfront with BA and the players, be upfront with Bennett too. If he's not interested, we then have a good window to attract the very best Coach possible and work with him on preparations for 2025. Either way it's a positive step. The biggest risk by far is doing nothing. 
        My fear is the current management believe we can still turn things around. And /or they are paralysed with fear that removing BA will see the football program come crashing down. 

Jim and Sean need to be reminded that the goal they proudly set themselves (and spruiked at every opportunity) was that the Eels would be a club that contended every year. I must have heard this 20 times at least during various events. Well we missed the Finals in 2023 and are currently in 14th position.
        Your move Jim. 

• You're expecting a lot from Jim , he only got the job because of his  buddy but members were meant to believe that Jim was the best man for the job out of 80 applications 🤣.

• 100% . Procrastination is our biggest danger.

• I been on this for ages BA is but a pawn a symptom of bigger problems around him.

Im also with you on a guy like Matt Cameron as a director of football.

If your sweeping the coach MoN is right behind him for mine also.Both guys have got us to a point of no return.

If they some how manage to snag the mentioned he's only a short term fix I see the Matt Cameron or alike hire as a more important one because our pathways look like they need to be fine tooth combed again.I'm not even sure what the Nathan Brown review of them uncovered,

I also don't like the leagues board having sway over the footy board.I'd like both to be seperate enterties.Surely the club now is setup financially on the footy side.Ideally I'd like to see both work independently.

• Bennett has said he won't talk to a club that already has a coach,  behind the scenes he probably does but if it gets out he would probably cut ties. Souths sack their coach and the next day Bennett says he is interested in the souths job. The eels need to sack BA now so they can have serious talks with Bennett before it's too late.

• Bennett has pretty much said he's intrested in going to Souths.  We are a joke . 

• If Bennett wants to go to Souths, how does that make us a joke.

• Any club board that continues to turn its nose up at TPAs is not interested in winning. This is a board level decision.

• I think all this commentary of Bennett returning to Souths bodes well for us. Just sit back and see how things play out. The bunnies CEO said they want a coach appointed within weeks, not months, so we don't have long to wait. At the end of the day Wayne will do whatever he likes, there's no point in trying to push any agenda or promote our club to him or utilize the media. So long as plans are made to get a new coach asap.

• I tend to agree. They said last night that when he finished at Newcastle that St George thought they had him in the bag to go back there. He then surprised everyone by going back to the Bronco's. These are just games that Bennett plays with the media. His track record shows he is not as direct as what he appears right now.

So Wayne has put it out there that he's interested in Souths, but he's also open to other offers. This is basically putting a blowtorch to the Parra board to get off their butts and do something. The invitation is there as far as I am concerned.

If the board do nothing, and just continue with BA, then that is a massively missed opportunity. I would love to see how someone like Dylan Brown would go under the coaching of Bennett. We might actually get him to get to that consistent superstar level.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Coryn Hughes replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Nrl 360 - Moses
"There saying Moses is touch and go regardless he struggled to get through a running session this last week.If I'm Moses I'd shut it down until he's totally right and that's for Parra also.If leaving it a couple more weeks is the play then do that as…"
2 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Nrl 360 - Moses
"It's how desperate NSW are.
There not thinking about a player coming back from injury whose been out 2 months it's only about them.If they think bringing Moses back with no game time is sensible there farked regardless."
5 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Tanker's discussion Fong and chief are my heros
"Go down to a Parra training and let your feelings be known to the coach as online isn't going to cut it."
7 minutes ago
Kurupt - Part Time Coach replied to swiftedtayla's discussion rape allegation
"Shouldn't be too hard to figure out who, if the charge carries an 11 year prison term then the nrl needs to stand them down."
27 minutes ago
More…