Shane Flanagan statement

I said a few days ago the reason why BA let Potter go is because he was set to meet with Flanagan (BA & him are good mates) to discuss the possibility of him potentially joining the Eels as a an assistant coach. Watch this space... there’ll be plenty of suitors for Flanno but the Eels are interested. 

The National Rugby League (NRL) has advised Shane Flanagan he will be eligible for registration in the NRL as an assistant coach for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

Mr Flanagan’s eligibility for registration will commence from 18 December, 2019.

Mr Flanagan’s registration is contingent on he and any future employer complying with a range of conditions set by the NRL.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg today met with Mr Flanagan and advised him of the decision.

Mr Greenberg said the NRL had created a path for Mr Flanagan to return to coaching.

“I have spoken to Shane at length and he has expressed significant remorse andaccepted responsibility for his past actions and the detrimental impact they have had on the game,’’ he said.

“We have created a pathway for Shane to return to the coaching ranks. Today’s decision gives Shane an opportunity to be registered in the NRL.

“This is not a set and forget approach. Shane and any future club who employs him has numerous conditions which they must comply with and the Integrity Unit will continue to monitor his conduct over the next two seasons.”

Mr Flanagan said he was pleased to have the opportunity to seek registration and would consider his options over the coming months.

“Today I met with the NRL and I both respect and accept the course of action they have taken,’’ he said.

“I look forward to returning to the coaching ranks, firstly as an assistant coach and hopefully one day a head coach again.”

Mr Flanagan has been told the NRL will give no consideration to expediting his return to a head coaching role beyond today’s decision.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sounds good but roosters just lost their assistant coach to knights & Flanno's boy is playing for the roosters as of next season. The pay will also be MUCH higher because it's the roosters.

• So funny because last night on 360 they said “the nrl will be checking his salary to make sure is at assistant” then he goes to he roosters that would be funny the nrl is such a joke sometimes. 

• BA doesn’t like having a replacement coach ready n waiting in the midst - doubt it will happen. He will only want yes men around. He didn’t want DA, Luke Burt or potter around and don’t believe he wants flanno around !

• Michael Potter:
    The Parramatta Eels Club is pleased to announce that former Newcastle Knights Assistant Coach, Mick Potter, has joined the Club as an NRL Development Coach. Mick will work alongside existing NRL Assistant Coaches, Steve Murphy and David Kidwell, under the direction of Head Coach, Brad Arthur.

Parramatta Eels Club CEO Bernie Gurr said, "We are very pleased to welcome Mick to the Eels; Mick's extensive coaching experience will be a valuable asset to Brad and our team."

• That was last year - he has been and gone bud !

“Parra gave sacked assistant coach Mike Potter for next year. Mark O'Neil said it was BA's decision”

• I know it was. But the point is that he was a NRL Development coach, not an assistant coach.

• The point I am making is I know for a fact BA IS VERY prickly with his support coaches and I doesn’t want s coach in waiting around him as he has a history. I doubt very much he would want Flanagan around him !

• Why would you want that flog at Parra, he’s complicit in salary cap rorting and overseeing a drugs programme. Should have been banned for life. He will only bring negative press to any club he signs with. Stupid idea.

• 66 - Ive got to agree with you, Flanagan has proven what type of coach he is, his prepared to go outside of the rules in an extreme way.  And buys thugs that have little team ethos.This is exactly what got us "Eels " into the mess we have been in since around the time Smithy left. Flanagan would need to change his "i dont care about the rules, im prepared to cheat in extreme ways" type of attitude for me to be on board with his signing. 

Hey we need great footy brains around the group and smart business brains in the front office with a bloke that posesses both in between them.

• BA brings Flanno to the club and we go close or win the thing - it only gives BA a better reputation. If I was BA I’d bring the very best coach I could to be my assistant even at the risk of them eventually taking my job -  it will only help BA. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

LB replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"The thing about this game that is curious and worrying to me is are Wests the real deal or was last week just a mood. I tipped Wests to beat Cronulla last week for a few reasons. 1) Was not convinced on Cronulla's past 2 performances where they were…"
2 minutes ago
BEM replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Sivo is back this round.
Lomax doesn't want to play wing at the Dragons so I doubt he would come here to play the same position.
He would replace Harper.
1. Gutho
2. Sivo
3. Lomax
4. Penisini 
5. Russell 
That would be the best backline we have had…"
3 minutes ago
Bup replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Lomax is nearly the perfect player Parra need to aquire.
The story's about his attitude and immaturity are prevalent and he's in a environment he doesn't want to be in .
The value here is you can get yourself a footballer for under market value due…"
19 minutes ago
Prof. Daz’s discussion was featured
Sigmund Freud once said that “one day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful”. With the Eels on-field general and kicking maestro, Mitchell Moses, out for up to 8 weeks with a fractured foot, the Eels will need…
42 minutes ago
More…