Replies

  • I think one the reasons for extending Ryles would be to provide more certainty to those looking at signing with the club come Nov 1st.
    Having Ryles signed long term, beyond '28, might give the club a better chance at securing a couple of major signings. 

    I am also hoping the club would have some performance reated clauses to ensure the coach is fulfilling his KPI's.

    • You people may find this extract from AI research as interesting;

      While the forum quote slightly conflates the details—the "Saints" in question refers to the St George Illawarra Dragons (commonly nicknamed the Saints in the NRL), rather than the English Super League club St Helens (where Mike Rush was actually the long-serving CEO)—the core of the story is widely documented: 
      • The 2023 Dragons Negotiations: In mid-2023, Jason Ryles was the absolute frontrunner to take over as the head coach of the St George Illawarra Dragons. He famously walked away from a lucrative five-year contract offer at the eleventh hour. 
      • The Mike Rush Demand: Reports and rugby league insider circles (such as discussions tracked on LeagueUnlimited and 1Eyed Eel) revealed that during intense negotiations, Ryles demanded significant control over the football department. His absolute top target to bring across to run the overarching football department/CEO role was Mike Rush, who was managing St Helens at the time. 
      • The Board's Refusal: The Dragons' board strictly pushed back against letting a incoming coach hand-pick his own administrative boss. When they refused to accommodate this demand, Ryles ultimately chose to decline the job and stay with the Melbourne Storm before eventually signing with the Parramatta Eels for 2025.
      With the Parramatta Eels recently holding high-level talks with Mike Rush following the departure of Jim Sarantinos, this historical relationship has resurfaced as the primary reason why Rush has become a leading contender for the executive opening at Parramatta
       
      My read on this is that the Rush situation had been arising since the group got together during the last English Tour and these things were talked about..... I beieve that Saratinos was heavily involved in the process and indicated he was in his last year, Saratinos always reckoned and understood that Parra was light in this area. 
      • The Mike Rush scenario might be real - I don't know, and neither do you. But if I'm a player looking at signing for the '28 season and beyond, I'd want to know that Ryles will be there for at least 2 years. 

        • Agreed Axel, I had not even heard of Mike Rush before this/these discussions took place.

          LB Intimated the Mike Rush scenario and when I checked it through AI, it reinforced that story but it should be noted AI is just an information gatherer and as such has gathered from the same sources of social media which we read on here....i.e. no specific clarification from what I would regard as trustworthy or alternatively compelling sources.

          Interesting question arises, is it better to know something or nothing....fake news is unfortunately a day in our lives in todays society.

  • It makes sense if Rush is coming he would have more control than he does now do get players he wants and not the moneyball he has had to.put up with so far I think he can coach but the side we have is wooden spoon material with a decent roster I think he would go well 

  • People saying he needs time are just making excuses.

    Did Madge need time to turn the Broncos around and win a premiership? NO

    Did Holbrook need time to turn the wooden spooners around and get them into a GF? NO

    In two years in charge, Ryles has coached us to 11th and 13th place.

    Ryles has done nothing to justify getting an extension.

    If anything, the only thing he has justified is his immediate termination.

    • How do you think the mentioned coaches go with the off the field issues the club has.

      I mean I give Holbrook cudos for what he's done here but he's walked into a team that's been built to fit todays game Parra just aren't.

      I mean how'd Holbrook look at the GC.

      Madge yes can't take away his credentials but this year with a few spanners thrown into the works the broncs have engaged reverse and they've lost the best foward in the game.

      Every coach needs something time support whatever it maybe Holbrooks performance is an outlier if you have a look at the history of the game how many teams have gone from spooners to a GF I'd say that is an outlier for sure.

      Hannays on the GC took Holbrooks roster hows that working there's too many factors related as to why some coaches are successful and some aren't.Onething I know is this the best clubs are the ones who are soughted from the top down.

      Its no mistake why Penrith Melbourne and the Roosters are successful outfits as examples they've been pretty consistent these clubs over long periods for a reason stability off the park and head coaching stability but it all starts off the park.

      • Holbrook started with a spoon team and had them just missing 8 in year 1 , made the finals in year 2 losing by a point by memory to the chooks . In year 3 he was sacked whilst sitting in 9th place    He also lost his star halfback prior to year 3 through the choices of Mal Meninga .  

        tell me anyone here that wouldn't be more than happy with Ryles having achieved this over the first two seasons of his tenure. In-fact I'd suggest everyone but you'd be wrapt with those results from Ryles in year one and two . 

        So I'll ask you your own question.  How did Holbrook looked at the Titans ?  

         

        ps btw , Des had that roster after Holbrook lol. And it was Mal handling the roster with the inclusion of Tallis. Even Fogertys on record confirming Mal was the one that axed him to Canberra. 

        • Actually thinking back he had a year I've missed . That was the lean year he lost Fogerty, finished somewhere like 13th. Year 4 he was cruising in 9th and a shot at finals. They sacked him and ended up losing almost every remaining game. 

          People who refer to his Titans coaching as crap , have zero idea what they're talking about. The titans were on the verge of the best era of their club when Tallis the bonehead sacked him. Another typical boofhead move from the Great Gordon Toolis. 🤭🤭

           

           

          Question stands, how do you think he looked at the Titans ?   

          took over spoon

          9th 

          8th 

          13th ( lost playmaker had to start halves again was given Sexton to work with who'd never played NRL ) 

           9th with 10 rounds to go . Just won that week . 

           

           Hasler , 14th , 16th 

          Hannay 16th 

  • I'd rather we wait until the second half of 2027, but I won't be too bothered I've seen enough to be hopeful for sure. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Coryn Hughes replied to LB's discussion Who is our Lock in 2027 and beyond.
"You don't have us recruiting another outside back Pops?
Say it ain't so we are in desperate need if JAC is suspended or released.
If we aren't in the outside back market I swear we are doing our best not to win."
14 minutes ago
Wizard “Alcatraz “Sleeve replied to Parra fan on The Hill's discussion Panthers v Knights
"I've had a few of the lassies call me their D coach. "
19 minutes ago
Wizard “Alcatraz “Sleeve replied to LB's discussion Who is our Lock in 2027 and beyond.
"Rylies 23 almost 24  .  What are you insinuating?  "
30 minutes ago
Wizard “Alcatraz “Sleeve replied to Cʜɪᴇғy Mclovin's discussion Ryles to be extended - Weidler
"Weird move , the only reasons I could think of for such a move are all negitive . It's certainly not due to sterling performance. It screams inexperienced management panicking. 
Maybe Ryles manager Mimis has promised to deliver us a star recruit…"
38 minutes ago
More…