Reed Mahoney's Doubts about Bulldogs

What have I done?': Bulldogs recruit Reed Mahoney reveals startling mid-season regret

After signing with the Bulldogs some 12 months in advance, former Eel Reed Mahoney admitted he was getting cold feet, and even reached out to Panther Stephen Crichton as the Eels made the 2022 Grand Final.

New Bulldogs recruit Reed Mahoney has admitted he was having doubts about his off-season move as the Eels marched towards the NRL grand final.

Mahoney rejected a three-year extension with the Eels to pen a four-year, $650,000-a-season contract with the Bulldogs in late-2021.

He will co-captain the side in 2023, alongside star half Matt Burton.

Mahoney said his parents were in tears when he called them with the news he would be leading the side.

"I didn't really know what to say; Mum and dad were in tears and super proud of me."

Burton in early January signed a massive five-year extension to stay at Belmore. He told Nine he was never looking to go elsewhere, despite his player agent David Riolo fielding interest from the 

"As soon as they wanted to lock me down, I didn't even bother looking," he said.

"I told my manager, 'this is where I want to be, this is home for me'."

The Bulldogs play the Raiders in the first of two trial matches in Moruya on February 12, and then the Sharks at Belmore the following weekend.

They take on the Sea Eagles at Brookvale Oval in round one.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Exactly....

• Or Hands.  Is he progressing aswell as they claimed?

• Not in the top 30 and they re-signed Rein, so maybe not.

• At least we've only got Hodgson on what is effectively a 1 year deal, with the second year being a club option. The Dogs have locked Mahoney in for 4 years. 

• What we need to be doing is looking ahead 2 years in time, who will be available, who'll be coming off at us and going hard for them with good money.

Example, you have Tedesco coming off contract and a free agent in 2025. Either Suali or Manu will go to full back then, it's a given. I can't see the chooks losing them. They never lose players, they only move them on.

I can see Gutho moving to hooker as his legs give out over time. I think he'd make a brilliant half back. Can dart out from quick play the balls, has cute grubber and footy smarts. His defence is pretty decent too. Will need to beef up his upper body and that shouldnt be a problem.

Imagine a spine with Tedesco, Brown, Mitch and Gutho. Not too shabby.

• Isn't that why we signed Hands?

• Actually Hands hasn't had his contract renewed, surprised he is in that squad, but then again so is Rankin.

Looks like they may play as contracted reserve graders, although I imagine Rankin will again be coaching assistant.

• What happened with Hands? I remember when we signed him they were saying he was the next big thing and Penrith were fuming at losing him.

• Don't know just came through TCT that he wasn't offered a contract in top 30 and was therefore a free agent. Seems like he hasn't had a good preseason, but I haven't actually heard that said, maybe need some one on the "ground" down there to shed some light on it.

I thought he was a rare commodity because he could play hooker or halves as well as a loose forward ) if there is such a thing anymore.

I am obviously biased but I thought they would have room for him, maybe they are waiting to see how the final top 30 look and play him on contract in the NSW Cup and pick him from there if required?

• He's gone as far as i know.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

ParraPride replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"Definitely not!
I see it either being a close game with Parra winning or us winning by over 12 points."
1 hour ago
RustyNuts replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Personally I don't think gaining Lomax would cost us Talagi. He had a great 1st game and could possibly be better than Lomax when he gets going. He could move to the wing for some time to develop then move to the centres later. If he becomes better…"
4 hours ago
Slippery. replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make

I totally agree with your comments regarding the importance and benefits regarding local juniors at discounted rates, however,  this is only a factor with their 1st contract if they show promise.  Once a player starts showing they have regular…"
4 hours ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Nah Tago is a centre who may later transition into the backrow. I believe Turuva will leave the club which is fair enough. I think May will move back to the wing and the Mclean brothers will start making their way into FG. Panthers have Laurie and…"
4 hours ago
More…