Players and Values and Judgements to make

Lomax is reputably on 800k, I am not sure when his contract expires. No one's going to get him for a bargain

When his 800 at Saints expires you might!.............he has been a Saints junior and prodigy the whole time, I think its a bit sad when you come through that type of upbringing (lets face it he is overpaid and was never worth 800) but when you are a non destination club as Bup points out, what you pay is irrelevant if you have NRL grants and have to pay that money to retain him.i.e. your not spending your money in the sense that your being prudent, just spending what someone (NRL) gives you and you have to spend it!

This concept really exposes the fault of player values, if you are good enough you go to a destination club and take the lower dollars, it finds them out if you are not as good as you think. BUT you do get to play with better players and your showcase improves. A guy like Lomax has received his big pay early and is now struggling at the the back end and he has to re earn it.

The question is he really as good as he or someone else thinks he is.

The interesting thing is we now see a number of players that that have left their premier clubs and getting paid a fortune.

The Penrith exit is rewarding players like the ones that have gone to the dogs, Luai going to Wests next year, even Pappalini and Mahoney leaving us. Korisau going to Tiges..... its pay day and picking up Lomax means you have to be pretty sure he is as good as some think.....personally I watched him last year closesly and didn't like what I saw, but then I cannot judge how much of that was unhappiness with his position at Saints.

I do not believe that many on here understand values, when trading players. We made a choice with Moses, Brown and Gutherson and it has worked.....some can argue that Matterson, Lane, Sivo and Paulo have not....subjective in it its self. RCG sits/stands out there an outstanding choice when he was not happy with his foundation club. Maybe Lomax may fit that image?

I think our team this year is much more cognisant of the realities after the good fortune of them making a GF and thinking that they only have to turn up the next year. Home truths like the one this blog alludes to are coming home.

A lot of criticism is landed on the recruitment and retention committee. This year we know what we are short of but the R&R mob have been selective in not taking any profile players, because the judgements being made here to say that there is limited value. If we don't have the right level of juniors coming through then we will have no choice.

The intermediate answer is that the extra money they now have can be allocated for retention of players we want to keep and this allows latitude for retention of the juniors we are developing as keepers.

Makes you think doesn't it.... there is more to R&R then a lot understand and it is not just a subjective decision on which player WE like.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lomax is nearly the perfect player Parra need to aquire.

The story's about his attitude and immaturity are prevalent and he's in a environment he doesn't want to be in .

The value here is you can get yourself a footballer for under market value due to a perfect storm.

He wants out now which gives us an advantage, Parra are after an X factor player and it's criminal he hasn't played at least a handful of origins.Hes big , fast and powerful , terrific in the air and he's a kicker.Ticks a lot boxes.

Im  surprised the Roosters aren't making heavy overtures , I suspect they'd want him from next year possibly swapping out May and bringing in Zac.

This kid could be the best outside back in the game , he's got the attributes he's just been in a poor coaching system as he's developed.Hes only 24.

As far as I'm concerned he's a unicorn signing, they don't come around often.Your getting a rep quality player who just needs some polish likely on unders.

You'd only be in for just over $400,000 for the rest of this year, your deal to get it done would look something like the rest of this year including 25/26 for $1.5 with the red and whites kicking in $500,000. That might sound like a lot but a player who hasn't bought in no matter current form will start kicking stones and a cancer flows through the whole club

The Dragons front end a couple of players they want to keep moving forward allowing room to go to market for quality forwards. They have a steady flow of outside backs coming through but struggle  with middles.

The key is getting both clubs to feel like they've done ok out of the deal, that's the salary cap dance.

• I'm with you Bup, Lomax is exactly the type of player we want in our outside backs. 

• Yes Bup makes a compeling case....

• Dragons have about 45 more Amones coming through who are talented. As long as they can keep Talatau(Dahl)  away from the club , they'll do very well.  For every Lomax, the Illawarra has 10 more just like him waiting for their shot. 

• I am happy to get Lomax, as long it doesn't destroy Talagi's future with the club. Also depends what type of Sivo we get. Because personally based on form, I think we need a winger more than a centre.

• You'd only be in for just over $400,000 for the rest of this year, your deal to get it done would look something like the rest of this year including 25/26 for $1.5 with the red and whites kicking in $500,000. That might sound like a lot but a player who hasn't bought in no matter current form will start kicking stones and a cancer flows through the whole club

The Dragons front end a couple of players they want to keep moving forward allowing room to go to market for quality forwards. They have a steady flow of outside backs coming through but struggle  with middles.

The key is getting both clubs to feel like they've done ok out of the deal, that's the salary cap dance.

This resonates with me.

The whole footballer and potential line is a long one if a player isn't self motivated regardless I question there future being a long term professional.I'm a bit on the fence with this one but if we get him for the right coin how you've outlined the lemon is worth the squeeze.

• Just like to say how refreshing it is to have Wiz on here as an Indigeinous elder and representing a binary group. I was interested to read in the Quora Encycloepedia about "therians" who identify as non human, I never realised such a group existed but I can only say with your experience and grace Wiz that you could be a near perfect representation to go with your other attributes.....you could possibly get 45 and 10 Lomax's to join you, it will change our whole R&R and result in enormous savings.

God bless you wiz for what you bring to this site and us mere mortals who shrink into the shadows at the austre and light you illuminate us with.

• Personally I don't think gaining Lomax would cost us Talagi. He had a great 1st game and could possibly be better than Lomax when he gets going. He could move to the wing for some time to develop then move to the centres later. If he becomes better than Lomax send him to the next team he wants to play centre for. 

Will Lomax make us better this year, I believe so. Is the best option for next year or 26, who knows. Is Talagi our long term centre,  I believe he is. 

From the sample of game time I've seen of Talagi this year, he looks like he has a lot further to travel to be a fullback than he does as a centre. Gutho needs to be replaced in a few years but "manufacturing" a replacement might not be the right way, maybe this is a recruitment issue. If we need to buy our replacement so be it. The top clubs still recruit players, not all use the juniors. Penrith buy in one or two a year even with the nursery they currently have.

• Pops, fantastic blog, reflected in some really great comments added. Well done.

I don’t like to comment too much on what players are ‘worth’, because imo as fans we are privy to so little of what a player brings to a club? In regards to culture, professionalism, training & game-day mentality, leadership, and even the social aspect that helps build spirt & camaraderie?

You only have to look at a player like Gutho, many on this site have labelled him overpaid.

But Gutho is the quintessential 1%er player, he drives training levels, he helps teammates become better players.

Peyton Manning, former NFL quarterback: 

The most valuable player is the one who makes the most players valuable.”

How do you add a financial value to someone who improves others? Can it be gauged? I’m genuinely asking Pops, you have a far greater knowledge of these dealings than I do.

Obviously this has no bearing on Lomax, but point is, he walks into a different culture and environment at the Eels.

Does he bring value in an area we are lacking, and therefore does that value increase due to that need? Would he be worth less in a team with a strong backline?

It’s just opinion, but I believe so. I feel Lomax to us is worth more than Lomax would be to the Fins or Broncos for instance.

The Dragons have had cultural issues for a while and some players just need a change - BA’s record in this area is proven.

I am 100% with Bup, this is a 'perfect storm' opportunity that cant be missed if possible.

Understand the Talagi concerns, and again it’s just opinion, I feel his best position is 5/8th. 

Could Talagi make a great centre in time? Fullback? Most likely, he is a talent.

But with Lomax we are a genuine premiership contender in 2024, can we gamble on that opportunity? Talagi will get plenty of game time & could easily be the teams 14 this year. He’s also cover for halves & FB most likely. 

The only concern Id have is the 2024 Eels do look more united, spirited & focussed. Could bringing in Lomax upset that to some degree?

Just opinion & great blog Pops. Keep em coming.

• Thanks Nos, I think you have summarised everything very well.

Cameradie and team spirit is probably unquantifiable.....a personal learning experience for me as past Chairman of Selectors and then President of a first grade cricket club coming off the back of a ordinary season, 2 Shield players, one of whom was getting tired as a team captain and his best mate were interested in the captaincy for the upcoming season. 

Every one was concerned that this could cause disruption, my suggestion was take the politics out and let the two of them settle the captaincy.....the moral of the story was the new took over from the old and the overall team suffered because they felt that our two best players and good mates were never the same again in their relationships.....so with the best intentions on my part I failed.

If you look at teams in the NRL we are seeing poor team spirit knocking Souths, Titans, St George, Dogs and after this round Manly. This should not be happening at this stage of a new season and the causes would not be known in any of those sides other than theories as to why? Alternatively it is known and no one has the answer....its no conincidence that Souths have the 3 biggest grubs in the comp in Latrell, Cody, and Wighton........that should have been seen and a good example was Roosters getting rid of Latrell, they knew he was a cancer. Russell Crow cleaning house is the only answer there, you can't blame the coach!

Parra seems very strong after a season like last year was overpowered by the realisation that making a GF does not mean you can rest on your laurels. It is remarkable that BA after 10 years has been able to keep a stable ship and I think Gutho is the "rudder"..... my guess is that a lot of people think Moses should/could be captain.....my feeling is it would be the worst thing you could do. Moses can still run the side and Guth keeps the "C" everybody and the status quo remains. Junior couldn't give a shit but realises now that he has to play like a leader, if he lost the captaincy for Samoa (or ?) he would be devastated. Why? it is just the way people see and respect you.

Slippery's post about circumstantial value can be more than dollars. Like you have expressed so well about Guth and the one percenters NOS,

Final moral "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it"

The other moral is, doesn't matter how close you are, it doesn't mean you will get it right, regardless of the best intentions.

I am great believer in going with the flow, but wary of any water falls ahead that no one is seeing. I certainly didn't see it in my anecdote!

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

TolEllts replied to Speech's discussion NRL Charges
"There was a slight slap on the face of Matterson from Brooks but no penalty. Sutton had his money probably on Manly😊"
30 minutes ago
LB replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Bennett is a smokescreen, we are chasing Ryles.
"Plus after he leaves he will dictate who replaces him and who leads the club on the field etc. all I'll say is the board should love the money the fans will bring in with Bennett there, memberships galore."
35 minutes ago
Mitchy replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Bennett is a smokescreen, we are chasing Ryles.
"We did for a change tbh after Covid. Got a job there through work here and we wanted to do some travel. Tbh it was good but cost of living was little higher - fuel was abt £2 a litre or more. Work got tricky and we travelled and came back mid last…"
37 minutes ago
Grunta the great replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Bennett is a smokescreen, we are chasing Ryles.
"It's been mentioned by several in the media and MC on Grandstand again today. He also mentioned how slow Parra are to move on anything and make decisions."
38 minutes ago
More…