Phil Gould is often referred to by Denis Carnahan as the man who thinks he invented rugby league.

Across a career spanning close to five decades Gould has gone from player, to coach, to administrator and media pundit.

Gould often draws criticism for his polarising viewpoints, this columnist is no exception.

And while his opinions on referees, the administration and rules can be tiring and seemingly out of touch at times, Gould remains one of the foremost voice when it comes to coaching.

A successful club and Origin coach, Gould is still widely regarded for his insight into the way the game is played.

Following Parramatta's disastrous 2018 season, Eels coach Brad Arthur spoke with Gould.

Gould said the club identified many of its issues from 2018 and changed them without ripping the soul from the club. The Eels had faced enough turmoil in the decade since Brian Smith left that tearing everything down to start again could well have resulted in yet more pain.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What's funny about that is after BA spoke to all you fools he came to me and I said, "you pass, you score, you win", the rest is history. 

• I actually saw Fongy speak to him before all of you 

• I also saw the Parra Jesus talk with him prior to this. Following this the Jesus and BA walked across the Parra river....and into the 2019 pre-season.

• When that cat looks in the mirror,  he sees a lion. 

• Love the kick in the nuts to Norman. "They removed some problems ".

And yes I agree. Gould is the Trump of rugby league. He's that far up his own arse he's got two navels.

• I'm sorry, what part of what Gus said there is he taking any credit ?

Just asking ....

If I'm a coach and my team just ran last, Gus would be the first person I'd call to get his take on it. What he doesn't know about the game and the people in the game isn't worth knowing.

• The only good advice to be given at that point was dump Harvey Norman. If that wasn’t his advice then he had no good advice to give.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Graham polkinghorne replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"Not really, as proven on our day we are a good team, but I think that team is quickly sliding backwards."
11 minutes ago
Graham polkinghorne replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"Whatever happens BA will finish the season, unless he decides enough is enough and he has answers."
15 minutes ago
Michael W. replied to Electric Eel 2's discussion Lomax is a freak
"Seek help."
47 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"More so a great performance could come from the motivation and not from skill. If they try to win with talent and skill ain't going far as there is not much without Moses. With heart and effort they could do ok, maybe not win but get close.
If they…"
54 minutes ago
More…