Parramatta's Season Balances On A Razor's Edge

If Brad Arthur were deposed tomorrow, you'd hardly find an Eels fan who would disagree.

Only 18 months after a somewhat unexpected grand final appearance, Parramatta's fall from grace has been swift and brutal.

A massive injury toll cruelled their 2023 season, despite showing glimpses of the side they could be. Despite a pre-season that promised improvement, the side has done nothing but regress, and now the pressure mounts on head coach Arthur.

While injuries to Mitchell Moses and Clint Gutherson have had, and will continue to impact the side, they have been no excuse for some of the insipid displays put on by the blue and gold.

Two second half maulings at the hands of the Raiders and an extremely under-manned Dolphins led Arthur to state his side were only part-time footballers.

A more spirited yet still mediocre performance against Manly showed there was still some fight in the side.

More than there has been at fellow cellar dwellers Souths, anyway.

But as much as Arthur has called on his charges to step up, the calls for Arthur to change aren't quite as loud, nor is he being quizzed about it in the media.

Arthur's classic tactic is to bash and barge using his middle forwards to plow a hole through the opposition's centre. Maybe he's a student of the likes of Alexander the Great, or Napoleon, who would famously use their most damaging weapon (For Alexander, his cavalry, for Napoleon, his cannons) to attack the opposition's middle and cause them to break?

However, he probably wasn't paying full attention as both legendary generals were known for their flexibility and adaptability. For Alexander it was his ability to draw out and decimate the Persians at Issus and Gaugamela, for Napoleon, it was his ongoing battles against Austria and the 1st and 2nd coalitions where his manouevrability allowed him to separate and demolish opposing armies.

There have been valid criticisms over Arthur's squad. Concerns over the ages of his middle and edge forwards, while in the backs they haven't replaced those that have come before.

But further thought should be given to how Arthur is using the players at his disposal.

A lot of sides are moving away from having their forwards doing all the dirty work. Penrith use their back 5 in yardage to allow their forwards to attack in good ball, and pile on defensive pressure, the Raiders did the same to great effect against the Eels.

Parramatta is clearly vulnerable both on the edges and, as the game winds on, through the middle, particularly around the ruck.

Arthur could try to assuage this by either copying the same tactic, or reduce the minutes of his ageing middle forwards and use some of the younger cattle such as Wiremu Greig and Luca Moretti to inject greater energy into the side.

Plenty of focus too should be on Mark O'Neill. He may have been the one in charge when Parramatta executed a squad refresh in 2019/20, but you can't rest on decisions made 5 years ago. 

A cursory look at what the best sides were doing last year should have been enough to realise a change in both tactics and personnel were needed to pick things back up in 2024.

Alas, none of that has happened.

Arthur's current strategy is like trying to use the Schlieffen Plan when Blitzkrieg is far more effective.

The coming month could very well decide Parramatta's future and Arthur's fate. Brisbane, Melbourne, Souths and Cronulla. Only against the Rabbitohs would the Eels be favourites and there's no guarantee they will actually show up.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Angus crichton is back into the form that made him one of the best backrowers in the nrl. He even has the lateral mobility for defence. Someone Moses would love to play with to general quick play the balls for short side raids too. I would  be shopping Lane to get him 

• Spot on EA but as usual, we wait until its too late, all of a sudden he is a KEY man for the Roosters again.

Sometimes with the out of form players that come good. especially after an injury, it is worthwhile doing some investigations to create an understanding. I would also let the player known that I am working for X club and we are watching with interest how well your doing. If you ever feel like a change, keep us in mind.

This type of relationship is so coomon in the business world and it is what I call just good management to know who's available and who could be in the right circumstances. Its a bit like going to the ball and asking for a dance, when told no thanks.....there is no need to ask whether a fcuk is out of the question.

• Good call EA. Crichton looks excellent again and he is available. Exactly the kind of player we need.

• We need to look at when we play best. Carty has been great but he does not suit Moses. our right edge was at the best when Papa was there because Moses could play short to a destructive backrower who would get line breaks or generate quick play the balls. Then Moses could go short side which he is the best in the nrl at. Now we have Carty who has been great but has a different skill set to Papa. Carty is there for offloads and play making. Tualagi has toe potential to be like ICE. Our left edge was the best when Lane would run good linrs and offload. He is doing neither. So if he cannot find it, he needs to go as he is on good money. Carty could play there since he does deserve a spot. 

• Have to disagree slightly with you on that post EA, I think Carty does compliment Moses as he is the only edge forward who actually follows the ball, a lot of half breaks made by Moses were off loaded to Carty who then has the ability to construct something further, even when it is not on. That part of his game always will require balance, but Carty changes the shape of our forwards dramatically when he is on. He is also the only forward we have who chases the kicks. Tuilagi (the forward) is a fair runner in terms of running lines but does not seem to threaten First Grade defences, like he does in Reserve Grade. He has no lateral movement so when you line him and Lane up, you have a forward defence line of middles and no cover. 

You make mention of ICE and he has been shown up again at Wests as not being an edge (poor lateral movement)  and he makes many defensive mistakes. ICE is a good player but he is much better in the middle and also offers a running perspective to that role. None of our middles get much past 15 metres before they have to find support an our edges just arent up to it with the exception of Carty. Have a look at those Penrith middles make a break, they can score from 40 metres out....as Parra has found out on many occasions.

Finally I starting to think Lane's time has come and gone. He is not a shadow of what he was.

Matto most certainly is our most mobile middle who can also play an edge, I am not sure what they want him to be, but he should be on for the whole 80 minutes most of the time. They pick him as an edge and they play him in the middle? Is that him or the coaching as I don't mind him as a stop gap 5/8 in the right balance.I would also like to see him as the replacement for an injured centre in the Nikore mould as a stop gap, especially over Tuilagi (the fwd).

• Baaaazzza

• If we don't get Bennet, which looks doubtful I'd like to see the Eels chase Josh Hannay and John Morris.

• I'd be shocked if Bennett signed next week with Souths, I really would. If I were him, I'd be waiting to see how the next month pans out for the Eels. If it's bad, he is in a much stronger negotiating position than he currently is in.

Even if he wants to go Souths, having another bidder in the mix is going to be better for him as far as a contract goes. The next month will dictate how this all goes. Up to the players really if anything.

• BringbackSemi, I dunno where Bennett will land. But, it's interesting what he said in today's interview on Souths.

"I like their brand, I like them. I've worked with them, I can relate with everybody there, it's an iconic club and I just like the vibe there."

"I don't know why (South Sydney) want me. We spoke about an opportunity in the future and we said we'd get our weekend of football away and we'll speak next week. We haven't got to next week."

"Well I'm going to be unemployed (so) I need a job."

'Not my fault': Bennett fires back at wild 'curse' theory
      Supercoach's list of victims grows
      • He instantly shut down Parra when it was mentioned too. He's a hard guy to read. Who knows, he might have a contract all worked out by next week. Or it could all be ducks and drakes! He has us all guessing, which is pretty much how he wants it!!

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

BEM replied to Simon Priestly's discussion ZERO TACKLE OFF CONTRACT LIST
"Our pathways suck as does our juniors. 
To many Rousehill Rhinos. 
It will take years and years and years to get our pathways right and that's with a competent board, R&R committee, CEO and coach.
With all the Muppets we have, it could take a decade…"
2 minutes ago
ParraPride replied to Frankie Fong's discussion ANOTHER COWARD IS FOUND
"Lots of grubs and criminals come out from penrith.."
8 minutes ago
Eli Stephens replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion David Armstrong
"4 teams below us travelling worse is pretty funny actually 🤣. "
10 minutes ago
Eli Stephens replied to Eli Stephens's discussion TITANS ATTACK
"They sure can attack, but don't do anything else well 🤣"
12 minutes ago
More…