Parramatta’s general manager of football Mark O’Neill has backed Brad Arthur’s proven record of developing State of Origin class players to ensure the club’s NRL premiership window won’t slam shut at the end of next season.

This is despite young prop Oregon Kaufusi becoming the fifth Parramatta forward to sign elsewhere for 2023.

It comes as the Eels prepare to issue a passionate Christmas message to members aimed at defending a recruitment strategy that is coming under increasing criticism.

Kaufusi’s decision to agree to a lucrative three-year deal with Cronulla follows Reed Mahoney signing with Canterbury, Isaiah Papali’i linking with Wests Tigers, Marata Niukore moving to the Warriors and Ray Stone joining the Dolphins.

Every one of those players Parramatta would have loved to have kept but they just couldn’t match the offers from elsewhere.

In Kaufusi’s case it would be particularly tough for Eels fans to swallow given he is a legitimate local junior who was developed from grassroots to NRL level, having represented NSW under 16s, 18s and 20s, as well as the Australian Schoolboys.

For years Parramatta have been trying to get some credibility back in their pathways system, but losing Kaufusi on the back of Stefano Utoikamanu to the Tigers last year is extremely disappointing.

The 22-year-old has told the club it is not just about the money the Sharks could offer him (believed to be about $1.2 million for three years) but also that he wants to become a regular starter. He understandably sees his chances better at Cronulla than biding his time behind Junior Paulo and Reagan Campbell-Gillard.

“You know I understand the disappointment of losing local juniors probably more than anyone because I have been a product myself of the pathways program, and I love the romance of one club players who have come through from the grassroots,” O’Neill said.

“But, as a club, we do need to have some financial discipline if you want to remain competitive. That is not to say we let them go with our full blessings, not by any means, because we would love nothing more than to keep that squad together forever.

“However, the reality in sport now is that won’t happen.”

But it could also be argued all clubs work to the same salary cap, yet none of the top teams seem to struggle near as much as the Eels when it comes to managing their cap.

Compared to the five players Parramatta will let go after next season, Penrith have only lost Api Koroisau and Viliame Kikau (and they just won the comp), while Melbourne will be without Brandon Smith and Felise Kaufusi.

So far the Roosters and Souths have avoided any significant setbacks to their future rosters since the November 1 trade season opened for 2023.

Parramatta also has Dylan Brown and Maika Sivo yet to take up contract options in their favour for 2023 but, despite the recent exodus, the club is privately confident both will stay.

Yet the overall recruitment situation has many Parramatta fans concerned that if the Eels don’t go all the way next year their premiership window will slam shut beyond that.

But O’Neill has faith in Parramatta’s development system under Arthur’s coaching ability.

He explained that the likes of Clint Gutherson, Mitch Moses, Nathan Brown and Junior Paulo all made their State of Origin debuts while playing under Arthur, while Mahoney probably would have been the fifth this year had it not been for injury.

“I understand people are talking about that (that the premiership window will shut) but I am not sure that is necessarily the case because I will tell you why,” O’Neill said.

“Brad has a track record in terms of taking a player from point A to point B.

“If we look at the top echelon, Origin players, of the last few years we have had five Origin players and four of them debuted in the Origin team.

“We also have had five players selected in the Emerging NSW squad this year.

“Then you have the ones like Papali’i, who has played his best footy here, Marata is another, Carty (Bryce Cartwright) has turned his career around.

"From a coaching perspective, purely, that shows we can help players achieve their goals and dreams."

"Now the challenge for the recruitment team will be to find those next ones who we can coach the socks off and do something similar with them.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, and that was a mistake too.

• Could not agree more about Crawley, Muttman. How he gets a gig on TV and in paper is laughable. Melb lost a couple of decent players didn't they...?

• “But, as a club, we do need to have some financial discipline if you want to remain competitive.

"Competitive" that's all we will ever be playing the moneyball game. 

• This isn't moneyball. No one is playing "moneyball" in the NRL. Every club is provided with the same funding and must spend 95% of it every season. This is not a small franchise with a limited budget competing against a gigantic franchise.

• Yes, we're a development club. We develop players for other clubs. 

• That's the problem. I don't think we're keeping the right people. I'd take Kaufusi over Lane every day of the week. One is a young, talented middle forward who has come through our junior systems. The other is Shaun Lane. 

• Shaun Lane is a very underrated player.

• Agree Lane is a very good player, defensively very effective  and capable of some contributions with the footy too.

• Yes it doesn't help when the dogs can offer an imbecile like Kikau 800k on the books and 400k on third party. How are we supposed to compete with this bullshit

• WE get TPA's as well Sneaky.......

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Adrian Bowles's discussion Brad Arthur press conference
"I dated a cousin of blaizes, seen him play a lot of footy before nsw cup. The kid can play, if he doesn't get fucked around by ba he will be a good future player. 
You are spot on, keep rewarding mediocre and they will get lazier and lazier. Half…"
2 minutes ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Adrian Bowles's discussion Brad Arthur press conference
"Also Burt to this day shocks me he never got a rep call up. "
6 minutes ago
"Hahaha, speech we had a killer side. Their forward pack wasn't half as good as ours. One player beat 17. I would take that forward pack any day of the week. Same with the backline, they were all reliable. Probably the only one I would of changed was…"
8 minutes ago
EA replied to LB's discussion Jamal Fogarty bicep injury, do we use Sanders as leverage?
"They will no doubt ask for Sanders now as Kaeo Weeks is their back up half but he is more of a fullback. No point asking for Schiller since he is off to the knights next year. Pretty sure raiders will line up like the following next year with…"
14 minutes ago
More…