Tuilagi has secured a release from the final two seasons of his contract with the Sea Eagles to sign a two-year deal under Brad Arthur at the Eels.

The Samoan international joined Manly from the Wests Tigers in 2023, featuring in 17-games for the Sea Eagles.

However, a logjam of backrowers at the Sea Eagles, including Haumole Olakua’atu, Ben Trbojevic and Josh Schuster has led Tuilagi to link with Parramatta.

Tuilagi will provide much required depth and competition in the back row at the Eels where Shaun Lane is regarded as the only edge forward guaranteed a starting spot in Brad Arthur’s best 17.

For the Sea Eagles, Tuilagi’s exit will enable the club to create further flexibility in their salary cap.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I thought he played right edge at Tigers. So when Manly signed him I thought it was an odd choice because they already had Olakau'atu on the right. I feel like we've lost Davey, who most people complained about, Tuilagi has much more potential. I like the signing.

• They have to be, if Tuilagi wanted to he could dig his heels in and stay, they have to honour it as he is signed til 2025. If a player wants to leave they forfeit what is owed most of the time, but the other way around for the club if they want a player gone.

• I imagined as much.

• This makes more sense; Shuster cost is an issue....I am going to back myself and say he will never be consistent.

Parra are not paying much here and we need one or two centres' back up half too.

• Another genius move by the club. Can't wait for 2024 season. Definitely premiership favourites now

• Premiership here we come.

• Don't know how much stock we can put in Tuilagi's form for Manly. They have been a fairly disconnected side over the last two years and focus most of their attack through Olakau'atu. If Davey has retired and we've moved Murchie on then it seems reasonable to add an edge backrower. Although that article does sell Bryce Cartwright short. His form across 2023 is surely enough to justify him starting next year.

Brad's proven he can improve forwards so I'd back him to improve Tuilagi.

Hopefully there are some outside backs in the deals pipeline. 

• I don't think Carty edge would be the one up for grabs. Maybe Lane moves into the middle or is in a battle with Tuilagi for that edge. BA does like to mix up his middles and edges a lot. 

• This is an odd thing, is Tuilagi going to be transformed into a hybrid middle and edge like Matterson? Or his going to be starting on the right edge with Carty as the utility on the bench?

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Blue Eel replied to EelsAgeMe's discussion Seriously the dumbest team in the history of sport.
"We didnt deserve to win, the way we play but check this picture out. How do we compete when this is allowed to happen time and time again.

Hands on the player playing the ball
Marker not square or offisde take your pick
Players in in front of…"
25 seconds ago
EA replied to EA's discussion Eels NSW Cup
"Decent yardage to start the sets. Has not been given a chance in attack. They did score a try on his wing but it was hard to tell if he actually took the sharks player out or not."
1 minute ago
BEM replied to paul taylor's discussion Dogs are the real deal this year.
"A couple of years ago, myself and some others said the dogs would be a top 8 side and we would drop down the bottom.
Not one I wanted to be right about.
I bet Mahoney is loving playing in a team with a fast backline."
1 minute ago
paul taylor replied to EA's discussion Eels NSW Cup
"EA , 
How is moey alamaddine playing .  He has a bit of Kiraz in him .  Good kid all round . "
2 minutes ago
More…