My crazy left field idea while Brown's suspended

Half of our forward pack is in form while the other half isn't. Evans, Paulo, Ma'u, Lane, Brown, and probably Niukore have all been playing pretty well of late. But the likes of Gower, Tepai, & Peni haven't offered much at all recently and I wouldn't trust any of them to fill in at lock especially going up against the Broncos next week. We could put Niukore or maybe even Lane to play at lock but whoever it is they need to be able to pass the ball and link with the halves. If we try to take the Broncos on directly through the middle we'll lose. We need to throw the ball around. This is why I would suggest Taka. Fergo's back now and Taka needs to be put somewhere. He's never been effective off the bench and if he starts at lock he can easily link with the halves and backline and has an offload in him. No way he'd be able to defend in the middle for the full 80 but it's an idea worth tinkering with I'd say. Thoughts on who should play lock?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What does Stone offer? He's a small version of Brown. Against the Broncos he'll get smashed. If we try to overcome the Broncos through strength and power we're doomed to fail. We cannot out-physical their pack. Only by doing something different can we hope to beat them.

• Stone can cover for Mahoney when he goes off, which keeps Gutho in his rightfull spot at fullback, Stone has played 9 in the past with some success but can also provide utility value to also replace whoever goes to lock, if needed. For me Kafusi to 13, Stone 14, Marata 15, Stefano 16, Salesi/Taka 17.

Tepi should not play NRL again with eels, Alvaro same unless he shows in the off season he can play, Gower while he was good for a while, he showed on Thursday nigth that he is limited and in the harder games coming up I doubt he can compete.  Tepi played against the dogs while Peni had been selected at 14 but was a no show.

I really see no point at this stage of the season in having players in the main squad that do not perform and just playing out their time before finishing up at seasons end. A caveat to that is Ma'u as he is still going hard so he should be picked still.

• Terepo will play lock. It's his future position.  

• I think terapo for lock if fit or even Nikuore as he has been playing with agreession in the middle which would partially help fill the massive void Brown leaves.   

One more move I would like to see is taka on bench when Fergo returns, especially for when Mahoney comes off for a break at end of first half.  Gutho to continue defending at fullback but play dummy half in attack.  As pointed out we lack the extra option out the back when gutho is dummy half but taka with his versatility could prove dangerous.  Has nice pass game for sweep play but if he gets the ball and defence have moved out to defend the pass, he is also strong enough to run himself, break the line and offload round the corner.

• I'd like to see.

Evans

Mahoney

Paulo

Manu

Lane

Kafusi

Mannah

Nuikiro

Stephano U

Salmon (to cover for any injury to backs and give Mahoney a small break)

So sick of watching Tepai, Alvaro, Gower and Terepo coming on and having nil impact apart from losing all momentum.

Time to try something different. Sign of stupidity is to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

• I like this MB with one change. Salmon in Wenty and Taka to the bench instead. Ferguson will be back and then Taka comes on to allow Mahoney a rest with Gutho to play dummy half. When that happens I would move Ferguson or Blake to fullback to replace Gutho for 20 minutes with Taka to wing. I would definately play Mannah on the bench and all those upset about it should get over it

• Full Time

home Team  Magpies Scored  28 points

away Team Bulldogs Scored 20   points

Venue:Ringrose Park Ground Conditions: Good

Wentworthville Magpies has achieved 5 Tries Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs NSW Cup has achieved 3 Tries

Wentworthville Magpies tries achieved by:
        Stefano Utoikamanu 4'
        Will Smith 49'
        George Jennings 60'
        George Jennings 65'
        Ethan Parry 79'

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs NSW Cup tries achieved by:
        Jack Cogger 14'
        Fa'amanu Brown 25'
        Brandon Wakeham 41'

Wentworthville Magpies has achieved 4 Conversions from 5 attempts.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs NSW Cup has achieved 3 Conversions from 3 attempts.4/5 onversions 3/3

Wentworthville Magpies conversions achieved by:
        Rhys Davies 6'
        Rhys Davies 51'
        Rhys Davies 66'
        Rhys Davies 79'
        Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs NSW Cup conversions achieved by:
        Jake Averillo 15'
        Jake Averillo 26'
        Brandon Wakeham 43'

• Next week 

1: C Gutherson

2: B Ferguson 

3: M Jennings 

4: W Blake

5: M Sivo

6: D Brown

7: M Moses

8: Jr Paulo

9: R Mahoney

10: K Evans

11: S Lane

12: M Mau

13: P Terepo 

14: M Nuikore 

15: B Takarangi 

16: D Alvaro 

17: S Utoikamanu ( unleash the beast )

18: O Kaufusi 

19: T Moeroa 

20: D Gower

21: G Jennings 

• I think we'll keep gower over taka. Like utokimanu. Beast

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Deadset replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"How slow have the recruitment team in realising how the game has changed, not enough effort in signing backline players, certainly no effort to sign any with speed.
Serioutly they are inept, now they have got another player who is unhappy at his…"
1 minute ago
Hell On Eels replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"Grunta, c'mon mate. I'm not sure what it is with all the LB hate. Again. 
LB adds so much for our site; he's invaluable. I would hate to see him driven off the site because of some personal agendas and dislike. I want LB to contribute and share as…"
2 minutes ago
LB replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"Thank you so much for the support Grunta, you are the reason I post as I know you hang on my every word. If not for you I would have given up this site years ago honestly. Thank you again for the support and motivation."
3 minutes ago
LB replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"Hahahhaha"
4 minutes ago
More…