Most embarrassing game in our history?

What an absolute shambles. Embarrassed to be an Eels supporters. How do we lose to an under strength B grade side? We should have dominated. It's just fickin heartbreaking. The writing was on the wall at the end of the first half yet Brad said ''continue doing what you're doing''! The guy is clueless. 
And then Dylan Brown said at the end of the game 'we just didn't turn up'! Seriously? Your job that you get paid well for is to turn up and perform just once a week! Just once!  
The relentless pain of supporting this team continues. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Its embarrassing for the club and it's fans that BA is the longest serving head coach.

If it wasn't so embarrassing it would be outrageously funny.

• Sportsbet 

sorry happens every time 

• Just hope the players at least took photos and signed autographs, dont want more eels fan messaging buzz 😂

• Definitely the most embarrassing loss in my 45 years of supporting Parra.

I was that embarrassed that I emailed the club after the game and cancelled my membership. 

• I don't have membership as it's too expensive and the money goes into Brad Arthur's pocket. Why pay someone who doesn't do his job. I've been supporting the Eels since I was about 10 yrs old and I'm now 66. They're the most disappointing and frustrating team to support. So much potential given their location but they always tend to disappoint. Remember the 77 grand final a 9 all draw then they get flogged 22 nil. Only the great Gibson has been their best coach. I'm not sure if the Eels will ever win a premiership before I'm gone. 

• I'm 49 CE and have pretty much given up on Parra wining another one before my time is up.

• I've waited to comment on last night's game until I had slept on it and let the dust settle. My last post was full of misguided hope that maybe the team could tough things out. Fool was I, its not what this club is about. The post by CE sums up my views as well. My additional comments likely take the form of my obituary as an Eels supporter.

Like others responding I'm of a similar vintage. I don't quite remember the 70s but very much remember being lucky enough to live the success of the 80s on the back of that once in a lifetime talented squad. And I use the terms "lucky" and "once in a lifetime" on purpose. The 80s victories were not the result of careful and deliberate planning by the club. It was the miraculous occurrence of several extremely talented juniors coming through at the same time Parra had experienced hardened campaigners. It also got lucky with Jack G who likely only came to Parra as a result of his other pursuits and not by careful design of the club. By 1987, the clubs true colours returned. We hoped for another golden generation; its never materialised. The reference to the games bigggest nursery is foolish and uninformed; its barely resulted in a quantity of quality juniors. Slim pickings and most don't become greats at NRL standard. The club has no idea how to nurture and grow. It's not how the club goes about its business. 

I've made the comment before; the very DNA of this club is "near enough is good enough". There is simply no want or ability to change that mentality. There is no pursuit of excellence, no killer instinct, no want to be the very best. If the team simply goes alright, maybe makes the semis, it's all good.

So I offer the contrary view that BA is the perfect coach for the team. He fits the mantra of mediocrity and near enough is good enough. No doubting he steadied the ship after the salary cap debacle (where even the good teams win premierships when over the cap and we still came last) but the reality is the goal has always been to just make the semis. Defence has been terrible for the duration of his coaching tenure and there has been no evolution in playing style. 

Gutho is another example as the perfect fit. Don't get me wrong, he sets the standard at training and goes not stop in games. But to be fair, he's not elite. He represents as far as the club/team wish to aim as the teams best player surrounded by has-beens and others who simply can't reach the heights they should.

The more recent disappointing factor is how far the club has fallen in the eyes of other fans. Used to be a favourite second team of sorts, now ridiculed and even hated. The petulant behaviour of this current crop of players on the field has been detrimental. At times, no class. And often they have very little to show by way of onfield performance to mask over it.

In a week when I commemorated the anniversary of the passing of someone close, I reflected on what parts of my life bring joy and happiness. When it comes to Parra, there is no obligation on their behalf but simply put, the value add as a whole is negligible. The club makes no effort to change its mindset and culture of underperformed and mediocrity. I also have the view that Parra will never win a title in the remaining years of my lifetime. It doesn't even want to. But it's more likely to add to the biggest collection of wooden spoons in the game. 

Over 77 years the club has consistently demonstrated an inability to design, seek out, execute and maintain excellence in performance to be a games leading club. Why would any sane person continually subject themselves to ongoing support to this club. Its not going to change, so perhaps cutting ties is the best thing moving forward.

• It's our most embarrassing loss since Magic Round 2019 where we lost 64-10 against the scum. There have been other embarrassing losses, one that some might not remember is back in 2017, we played a Gold Coast team where they had 12 of their top 30 injured or unavailable for the game, during the match, they had four players taken off with injury which meant they had no bench and they still beat us. Other ones I remember without googling recently are Manly 54-0 in round 2 2018, there was also a loss we had against Souths in 2022 where we got beat 38-0. 

I have looked back over Rugby League Project and since Brad Arthur became head coach in 2014, every year except 2016 the club has copped at least one flogging, if not more. 

• BA got an extension after that game,  God help us. 

• Here is the thing, that loss was bad but we at least tried in some areas, we were on backfoot of that game with Mahoney starting on the bench. But also, Melbourne were a top team then.

Dolphins had no reason to win, nontheless by that much.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Senior Players / BA
"We should of been improving over the last few seasons but we have gone backwards. Having no back half, or plan b going into the season is just plan stupidity. Same with no first grade hooker. 
Forwards look lethargic, slow, under done and not…"
22 minutes ago
Hell On Eels replied to Rabz S's discussion South Sydney to offer Wayne Bennett three-year deal as Eels pass on supercoach
"Frankie, Yep, fair points.
Yet, hasn't Sue Coleman been with us for some time? And her profile says she held a position on our PNRL footy board before.
Sue was at the 66th AGM (Jack's Bar and Grill) on 27 Feb 2024 in her capacity as a director of…"
1 hour ago
Snakey - Sack Dylan Brown replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Senior Players / BA
"Exactly right Brad, we're in the comfort zone, we have been for a long time under BA and this board.
Theres plenty of people at the club feathering their own nests and pissing in each others pockets.
Theres obviously a huge lack of accountability…"
2 hours ago
KENDOZA replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Senior Players / BA
"Gutho is so far up Arthur's arse if he spits its coming out of Arthur's mouth"
2 hours ago
More…