Leniu Calls Mam a Monkey

Leniu and Broncos involved in late-night hotel argument over ‘monkey’ slur as Rooster sent to judiciary.

Ezra Mam takes a stand against alleged onfield racist abuse in Las Vegas
Andrew Mathieson March 3, 2024

Ezra Mam has filed a complaint to match officials over allegedly being called a "monkey" on the field by rival Spencer Leniu in the NRL's Las Vegas opening round.

The Broncos had been penalised in the second half over an unrelated incident when Mam, a Kuku Yalanji man and Torres Strait Islander, came forward to accuse the new Sydney Roosters recruit of a direct racist slur.

The complaint from Mam appeared to come after players from the respective teams came together as several of the Roosters remonstrated over a prohibited aerial charge following a Brisbane long kick.

Referee Adam Gee soon after told captains Adam Reynolds and James Tedesco that Leniu had been put on report.

"Ezra has made a formal complaint that is racial in nature against Spencer," Gee told the two players.

"I haven't heard it, but the incident goes on report and it will be dealt with after. That's where it's left."

The audio suggests Mam tells Gee earlier "he called me a monkey" and an unknown teammate also repeats the same accusation.

Mam was visibly upset at the time and according to media reports he left the field for the locker rooms immediately after the 20-10 defeat where Broncos officials have said their star playmaker broke down into tears.

"He's pretty upset in there, but we'll leave that in the hands of the NRL to police and adjudicate on," Broncos coach Kevin Walters said in the press conference.

"We support Ezra and our player with everything around that.

"He's adamant. We'll leave it with the NRL. They're looking at it."

He appeared to look surprised by the accusation when Gee first told the backrower of the complaint.

Leniu, who came off the bench in Penrith's last three premiership sides, is of Samoan heritage.

After the second of the double-header matches, Leniu said he was not worried about the claims could lead to a suspension.

"It's all fun and games on the field," Leniu told Nine, one of the game broadcasters, after the final whistle.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson refused to be drawn into defending his player.

"I don't know what happened," Robinson said.

"Ezra is adamant, but that doesn't mean it's right. He made the complaint, it doesn't mean it's right.

"It will go through formal process as it should."

Both Reece Walsh and Reynolds rubbished Leniu's seeming suggestion that there's nothing in the on-field jibes during post-match interviews.

The post-script to the first of two NRL matches in the United States, as a part of a five-year deal, took the shine following Manly's earlier 36-24 win over South Sydney.

At the time of the 69th minute incident, Walsh was hit in the ribs off the ball and was left not moving in backplay, while his Indigenous teammate Kotoni Staggs was on the ground receiving treatment for suspected cramp from a Broncos trainer down 14-10.

The Roosters scored in the fourth minute through Joey Manu, and never gave up the lead for the rest of the match.

Walsh appeared to revive hope and a notable spark for his side in the 59th minute.

The Murri man set up a backline move that he finished to bring the Broncos within four points after Walsh's earlier loose pass had gifted Manu's initial try.

Walsh could be under investigation for the full back's try-stopping shoulder charge.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Votes: 0

Replies

• Good point but Mam doesn't sleep much on the field or eat gum leaves 

• This is better left alone and for the NRL to decide based on audio.  No need for these bs blogs which bring negativity to the subject.  We all know what was allegedly said

• Tears of a player

• I guess we're about to find out if people of colour actually can be racist. Sheryl Swoopes reckons they can't.

• This does open up further discussions doesn't it. 
      A black person in the USA calling another black person the N word is not seen as offensive. In Australia can a person of colour ( I am) be accused of racism for calling another person of colour ( both cultures historically the victims of white colonialism) a monkey. 
      Everyone who is fair dinkum would agree that it would be worse and a bigher drama if a white Roosters player had done this. 

• The Irish and the Scotts were also victims of English colonialism.

• That is whataboutism. Sure they were, but that doesn't mean Indigenous people of Aus & pacific were not, so what is your point? 

• You called it "White Colonialism' which white washes the fact the English oppresed and colonised many people and some where white. You implied that rascism was limited to whites. Throughout history the conquering race has always oppresed the conquered. It is a human thing, not a white thing. 

• I said those two cultures were "historically the victims of white colonialism" this is true.

Any further extrapolations and interpretations that you have offered after reading my post are the subject of your paradigm. 

You are jumping at shadows and tending towards the outraged section of modern society if you interpret my comment on a specific two cultures as " white washing". 

I Implied nothing about "racism being limited to whites" again my comment was limited to these two cultures. 

It is apparent that you have a rusted on opinion on this racism topic and will interpret comments to fit your narrative. 

Enjoy your confirmation bias. 

• Facts are facts.

Racism is fear of the unknown.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Frank The Tank replied to paul taylor's discussion Dogs are the real deal this year.
"Yep I did say a few years back that the dogs would win another premiership before we do - that club doesn't tolerate shit for too long. This is their longest period in the semi final wilderness that I can remember.
BA has a lot to answer for and one…"
1 minute ago
parra supporter replied to Offside's discussion Match review?
"2 try's off the run of play from storms and one from a blatant forward pass, minus those 18 points and it's more of an accurate representation of the game.
in saying that I can't recall storms playing worse and if it was a top 8 team they would've…"
1 minute ago
Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst replied to paul taylor's discussion Dogs are the real deal this year.
"Shares in pubs, Gus said it himself and then was told to retract his comments."
2 minutes ago
Mannah-Brow replied to Adam Mogg's discussion Ryles- complete clean out happening.
"The girls played well against their more fancied opponents and I though our halves and fullback in particular were quite impressive. Steve G should stay."
2 minutes ago
More…