Leniu Calls Mam a Monkey

Leniu and Broncos involved in late-night hotel argument over ‘monkey’ slur as Rooster sent to judiciary.

Ezra Mam takes a stand against alleged onfield racist abuse in Las Vegas
Andrew Mathieson March 3, 2024

Ezra Mam has filed a complaint to match officials over allegedly being called a "monkey" on the field by rival Spencer Leniu in the NRL's Las Vegas opening round.

The Broncos had been penalised in the second half over an unrelated incident when Mam, a Kuku Yalanji man and Torres Strait Islander, came forward to accuse the new Sydney Roosters recruit of a direct racist slur.

The complaint from Mam appeared to come after players from the respective teams came together as several of the Roosters remonstrated over a prohibited aerial charge following a Brisbane long kick.

Referee Adam Gee soon after told captains Adam Reynolds and James Tedesco that Leniu had been put on report.

"Ezra has made a formal complaint that is racial in nature against Spencer," Gee told the two players.

"I haven't heard it, but the incident goes on report and it will be dealt with after. That's where it's left."

The audio suggests Mam tells Gee earlier "he called me a monkey" and an unknown teammate also repeats the same accusation.

Mam was visibly upset at the time and according to media reports he left the field for the locker rooms immediately after the 20-10 defeat where Broncos officials have said their star playmaker broke down into tears.

"He's pretty upset in there, but we'll leave that in the hands of the NRL to police and adjudicate on," Broncos coach Kevin Walters said in the press conference.

"We support Ezra and our player with everything around that.

"He's adamant. We'll leave it with the NRL. They're looking at it."

He appeared to look surprised by the accusation when Gee first told the backrower of the complaint.

Leniu, who came off the bench in Penrith's last three premiership sides, is of Samoan heritage.

After the second of the double-header matches, Leniu said he was not worried about the claims could lead to a suspension.

"It's all fun and games on the field," Leniu told Nine, one of the game broadcasters, after the final whistle.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson refused to be drawn into defending his player.

"I don't know what happened," Robinson said.

"Ezra is adamant, but that doesn't mean it's right. He made the complaint, it doesn't mean it's right.

"It will go through formal process as it should."

Both Reece Walsh and Reynolds rubbished Leniu's seeming suggestion that there's nothing in the on-field jibes during post-match interviews.

The post-script to the first of two NRL matches in the United States, as a part of a five-year deal, took the shine following Manly's earlier 36-24 win over South Sydney.

At the time of the 69th minute incident, Walsh was hit in the ribs off the ball and was left not moving in backplay, while his Indigenous teammate Kotoni Staggs was on the ground receiving treatment for suspected cramp from a Broncos trainer down 14-10.

The Roosters scored in the fourth minute through Joey Manu, and never gave up the lead for the rest of the match.

Walsh appeared to revive hope and a notable spark for his side in the 59th minute.

The Murri man set up a backline move that he finished to bring the Broncos within four points after Walsh's earlier loose pass had gifted Manu's initial try.

Walsh could be under investigation for the full back's try-stopping shoulder charge.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Votes: 0

Replies

• There was a music band called the Monkeys used to have their own tv show! They didn't care about being called the Monkeys

• Lol typical grub penrith at heart.

• Call someone a grub on this site and see how many extra pages you get on the blog 

• Navalny called out Putin one of the toughest brutal man in Russia a corrupt leader and what were the consequences for Navalny? When you're ego is hurt it hurts no matter how tough you are

• Bruised feelings or paranoia?  Putin seems to eexterminate everyone he considers a threat 

• Differant things. Navalny (RIP) was a threat to Putin and an easy target. If Putin was to lose power he wouldn't simply be allowed to retire to grow cabbages at his Dacha. He'd be hung at the Red Square the next day as a traitor who sent thousands to their deaths. Putin's message was clear. Oppose me and you die. He's killed hundreds he suspected of collaborating with the West or conspiring to overthrow him. Putin has gone all in. Loss of power is certain death for him.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Exactly. Called you a monkey? Go in next chance with a swinging arm. Then tell people why you did it. I'd rather him lose a couple teeth to remember me than Leniu cop a potential suspension. It would well worth it. Well it would for me. I reckon he'll cop half a sentence than what a white player would cop but Uncle Nick being his Boss with his pull, he'll probably be slapped on the wrist at best. All that "Sir, sir he called me a monkey" is pathetic"

• David, the biggest thing holding Skippy back (we are not going down at a rate of knots you fucking panty buncher) is the twats like you being dragged kicking, screaming and whining into the 21st century, determined to stoke division along the way

• What takes more courage standing up for your self and a cause around racism and the public repercussions from this or smacking someone in the mouth?

• That depends Tad. Am I smacking Leniu or Mam in the chops?

I ask as i feel there would be differing repurcussions

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Marty replied to Adam Mogg's discussion Ryles- complete clean out happening.
"George can stay, his girls are rippin' the Broncos apart atm"
6 minutes ago
Eels95 replied to Adam Mogg's discussion Ryles- complete clean out happening.
"Georgallis is definitely a good addition and should be kept.  He has been around the game a long time. 
He also just got our wooden spoon team to knock off the heavy weight Broncos. You can tell the girls have been properly coached this season.…"
18 minutes ago
Kurupt - Wallet Inspector replied to Adam Mogg's discussion Ryles- complete clean out happening.
"Replace BA with who was also the go to argument. "
25 minutes ago
Kurupt - Wallet Inspector replied to Adam Mogg's discussion Ryles- complete clean out happening.
"Freudian slip"
26 minutes ago
More…