Jarryd Hayne- Trial Commences this week

As per the heading Jarryd Haynes trial commences this week.  Great image for the NRL with De Belins trial currently going on for sexual assault related offences and now Jarryd Haynes for similar.  Anyway, reading the article, it appears that he has returned from his Christian Mission in Perth and has been training with current and former members of the Eels squad in Sydney and still has hopes of returning the the NRL. I make no comment in relation to the charges, trial or allegations for obvious reasons and would ask people to do the same. ( Super if that cannot be controlled or exposes the site then comfortable with and decision you make).

If he is guilty of the offences he has been charged with, then I hope he gets what he deserves.  Likewise, if he is inncocent, I hope he gets the outcome he deserves in that regard.   If found guilty, it is career over in my opinion.

If however he is acquitted, who thinks at age 32 any NRL Club would offer him a final crack? Would anyone want him back at the Eels?  Would he be a replacement for Jennings for example? Are we better having moved on and leaving it at that?

EE

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That narrative pisses me off Mutt, and I would expect it from the likes of Chief or Wiz, but the implication that we missed the finals BECAUSE of JH is plainly unfair. I view it rather that without him we'd have struggle to win a game. He carried an awful heavy load week in week out with a revolving door of coaches & teammates, a dysfunctional board & administration.

What do you seriously have expected of him ?

• Take a breath.

The club and team became overly reliant on him. He also took up a very large chunk of the cap during his time. With Hayne we all expected miracles and occasionally he delivered. But that approach by the team and the club was an unsustainable, enigmatic approach. We were far from being the balanced team we needed to be to deliver consistent success. 
        I enjoyed watching him play very much. I still enjoy his highlight reel occasionally. But in the cold light of day, for various reasons we were an unbalanced side with him involved and our results reflected that. We're far better off without him. 

• I agree that we were over reliant on him, but why were we ?

Are you telling me that if he hadn't gone to the NFL that we couldn't have built a great roster around him with the much more stable organisation we have now ?

My irritation with your statement is when you ask "Apart from 2009, when has Jarryd had a positive impact on our club ?"

My answer would be every year he was here, but the failings of those around him were too great an obstacle to overcome. It took what happened in 2009 to illustrate his extraordinary talent, but I think his most underrated & underappreciated season was 2010, he was phenomenal that season, despite the clubs poor performaces.

I'm sure JT took up as much of the Cowboys salary cap as JH ever did of ours, and they were just as reliant on him, yet they had a better roster around him and a stable organisation. 

• This reply was deleted.
            • This reply was deleted.
              • Good comments Pops. Some of your finest. 

• Sorry Poppa but disagree.

Hayne proved he was not one for discipline - failed after reading his own 2009 publicity and thought he ruled the NRL - failed with NFL because the stringent discipline hampered his ego - failed at Titans because he had a strict disciplinarian for a coah (whom he shafted very successfully) and failed when he came under Bushy who was stamping his authority at the Eels at the time.

Some people cannot be "managed" simply because they do not respond to sage advice.

Big heads have destroyed more BIG futures than anything else.

• He didn't fail after 09, 2010 was one of his finest seasons IMO,

he didn't fail in the NFL, he went from never having played American football to making a 53 man roster AND playing 8 NFL games in the space of 12 months, that is not failure by any measurement, and his ego was nothing by NFL standards

He didn't have a great season at the Titans, but he wasn't in RL shape and he had nothing to do with Neil Henry getting shafted, it was Ash Taylor who didn't want him as coach, and Henry had problems when he was Cowboys coach

and he didn't fail with us 2018, he was close to our best player, albeit in a poor year

• He wanted to sign will us, but greenturd would not allow it until he faced the nrl integrity unit about the salary cap breaches.
                NEXT minute he was on tv standing next to greenturd bragging he had signed with the tits for a huge amount and huge 3rd party deals that the club and nrl arranged. {This was against nrl policy}.
                He didn't have to appear before the nrl integrity unit.
                Then played 1 year with the tits and showed no interest at all.
                Do you think he might have been pushed into that deal and had no choice? Don't forget, greenturt done everything he could to shaft us.
                He drop the last year of that huge contract with the tits to come back to us on a lot less.
                When he came back,he did have a few injuries and never got a crack at fullback because we were trying Bevan French and Mick Gordon. I watched him play at Marathon at centre and have to amitt he looked very disinterested while on the field.
                IF he is innocent, I would give him a go on a low contract, maybe he has something to prove and realizes father time is not on his side.

• thurston didnt request his mates get resigned either like hayne and his manager apparently did

• Good luck in retirement Jarryd and thanks for the memories of that fateful 2009 season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRHd70zzA-Q

• IF and it's a very big If .. he beats this charge, we would be mad not to give him a go in the centres.

Wonderful player and could still make a huge difference to our side. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Titan replied to EelsAgeMe's discussion Most embarrassing game in our history?
"Simple, we didn't chase the collision or front load our efforts"
4 minutes ago
EelsAgeMe posted a discussion
 I knew there must be a reason for BA's delusional behaviour. No one can consistently do the same thing and not learn from it after 11 years at the helm.  After hours of intense research. Here it is. It's all the water he drinks! Read the below -…
5 minutes ago
EA replied to EA's discussion Name and Shame the players
"Against Manly Hands can play 80min. If you look at stats against Manly and you will see the hooker does not make as many tackles people Manly use the ball from their own end and attack wide. So Hands wont be required to make many tackles next week.…"
19 minutes ago
Wicak replied to EelsAgeMe's discussion Most embarrassing game in our history?
"I've waited to comment on last night's game until I had slept on it and let the dust settle. My last post was full of misguided hope that maybe the team could tough things out. Fool was I, its not what this club is about. The post by CE sums up my…"
29 minutes ago
More…