Injuries and age - who makes the cut?

We all know the roster is aging and lack of young talent coming through is a problem. Adding in the unbalanced salary cap sees us in the current situation we're in. 

Question is - given the age and injury toll, does anyone see any players being let go/medically retired in the near future?

Given Gutho's ongoing knee issues, I wouldn't be too shocked if something like this was announced. But much like what the Rorters are doing, it potentially frees up cap space to chance new players - although that doesn't fix the issues of players actually wanting to play for Parra.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lane RCG Matto and Paulo aren't going anywhere next year.I'd let them see there contracts out unless they can be moved for something better.26 is where they have significant players coming off contract.

• 2026 we could have a good war chest to use, by then too the salary cap will start to level out as it has gone up the last few years so players upgrades have been covered by the increase. Once the increases stagnate teams will start losing more players.

• Where Parra need the push is in there juniors the next 2 years edges outside backs and front rowers they'll be the key mix that with shrewd player pickups in 26 when we have the cap.

Then you make your decisions on Gutho RCG Matto and alike.

• You are absolutely kidding if you let RCG go. Just wow, what have you been watching for the last three years. He had one poor game last week and has been one of the driving forces in our pack . He has been a standout! 

• Mate, he has been our best player over tha last few years in my opinion, I agree with that.

However, this season he isn't having that impact like he previously had.

If he is carrying an injury that would explain something but if not, he is underperforming this season for the large salary he is on.

• JB, we are not losing games because of the perception that RCG is not having the impact.

Its quite simply the mix and shape of our forward pack, players such as Lane and a few others from the bench are being run off their feet by the fact that we have not got the ability to get out of our territory without Moses kicking game. That's not the answer other than we have no where the speed and agility with just a centre and two wingers short.

Cartwright gives shape to our pack, we need someone like Chriton (Roosters) to give that tough mobile back rower to compliment our pack and a mobile hooker of the style like Marshall King (Dolphins). They are the only forward changes. That player should be like the 14 from Roosters who can play hooker, halves, we have Matt Arthur coming through and I think he is the most promissing of our development players.

With the exception Sanders (who we have lost) I don't see any of our young backs that we can get excited about Richard Penisini maybe (if he is genuinly quick) and AMS being another, but they will be depth players next year, not walk ons.

Watch the games clearly JB and you can see why we fail. We are basically not quick enough to keep up.

• I agree

Paulo to go in my opinion 

• Why on earth would you let RCG go? He's obviously picked up a niggle last couple of weeks and needs a refresh but he's in the top 5 props in the game in my opinion. Should have been a walk up start to Freddie's blues team but for some reason was largely shunned. 

• that will do me

• In the outside backs. I think the lomax to fullback and Gutho to centre is something that will be seriously contemplated asap. Sivo needs to fuck off as we all know. Tago in cup has been great however he does lack a height and speed. In flegg Alamadine had a great sg ball season on the wing. We have a HM winter too who is really quick named Rousukua

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Frankie Fong's discussion ANOTHER COWARD IS FOUND
"Vlandys is moist for the blackfullas. Will probably have his suspension pushed to next years trials so he doesn't disappoint the Panthers fans once it all blows over.  See what happens when he goes soft on these clowns , if he gave him his medicine…"
17 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Eli Stephens's discussion TITANS ATTACK
"Always had oodles of speed, just no playmakers good enough to do anything with it. "
22 minutes ago
LB replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion David Armstrong
"My 18 month old nephew could kick a ball off a tee while going to a local park in Cessnock and Johns would say he is a prodigy. The bloke backs Newcastle every week, now it has worked the last month but early in the year he was picking them and…"
1 hour ago
LB replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion David Armstrong
"Warriors aren't even winning with Shaun Johnson. I tipped them for a poor year and seems i lucked myself into a right tip. Now Johnson is out, they are more screwed. Webster now seeing what it is like being an NRL head coach.
As for out of the top…"
1 hour ago
More…