Injuries and age - who makes the cut?

We all know the roster is aging and lack of young talent coming through is a problem. Adding in the unbalanced salary cap sees us in the current situation we're in. 

Question is - given the age and injury toll, does anyone see any players being let go/medically retired in the near future?

Given Gutho's ongoing knee issues, I wouldn't be too shocked if something like this was announced. But much like what the Rorters are doing, it potentially frees up cap space to chance new players - although that doesn't fix the issues of players actually wanting to play for Parra.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• When I say luck I mean he has been fortunate enough to have certain backs over the years that have had the natural ability to disguise to an extent, his major structural defensive flaws. We are getting found out on a regular basis now because we don't have the quality of players to effectively react to on field situations when our poor structures are exposed. And the lack of that quality in the backs is as I said , because backs are not a priority,  they are like backup singers to BA's main act. 

• We need an overhaul of our wingers for starters

we have no one making any yardage from anywhere and no hard yards at all

give me every other winger in the comp at moment andI'd be happier . There is no strength in our runs out of our own half at all. I will at least say Simo is putting in effort unlike others

• Richie Penisini, had he not done his ACL, would have been playing by now. Massive raps for him to play Wing for us then move to Centre when a bit older. Just need a speedster.

• And was the speedster they were pitching their wagon to. What happened to komalafe?

• Tried out for the waratahs.

• Sivo just needs a rocket up him which obviously isn't coming from BA. Bennett would have this sorted in no time. Another issue with him is physical preparation. I'm not sure why our strength and conditioning department have allowed him at times to think he's Ronnie Coleman but the poor bloke can't run. We do need another winger, I'm not sure if there is anyone coming through or we have to recruit externally.

• Won't get any players until you get a decent coach- end of story.

• I would keep Penesini x2, Brown, Moses, Lomax,RCG, Hopgood Joe OF, Cartwright, Gregg and a few youngsters and then start again firstly with the best young hookers from flegg, a few Semi Radradras and WAYNE and his own crew.

• Our outside backs don't contribute enough and Gutho has been playing on one leg. Simple as that. 
    If we had the wingers from Sharks or Panthers or Roosters we'd be going a hell of a lot better than we are. 
    In the 2019 Final against the Broncos we won 58-0. We had Sivo who was in form, with Jennings, a younger Gutho  at FB without any knee tape, Fergo alongside Waqa Blake (who was never great but he was a big body and fast) who was playing well. Contrast that backline to what we trot out these days. Honestly it's been a travesty the backline we've offered recently. That's why we're struggling, even with Moses we'd be off the pace. The club needs to accept this failure. 

• I don't disagree but at least we have made a high profile signing in lomax. Sometimes all it takes is one player and the whole balance changes. I still think lomax has played his best footy on the wing but obviously he won't be playing there. I think Gutho will be moved to the centres and lomax will play fullback. 

Sivo - yes I'm not going to argue he has decline from the back field but it was never his strength actually, that was always finishing and he still has that. He's scored 10 tries in his last 4 nrl games. Also when he started he was with Fergo who was  the best set starting winger in the comp when he first arrived with us. So teams used to kick to Fergo with the kick chase and Sivo would do the second hit up which easier - particularly off someone like Fergo who would find his front. These days teams normally kick to Sivo to nullify him. 

Penisini is a very strong ball runner as is simmonson. This is my back line next year 

1. Lomax 

2, Sivo 

3 Gutho 

4. Penisini 

5. Simmonson 

That's not a bad backline. Problem remains depth 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Bourbon Man replied to Frankie Fong's discussion HUGE NEWS FOR 1 EYED EELS MEMBERS
"Yep, that's him. I actually met him at a game at the old stadium. 
I don't resile from my view that he's one of the dumbest humans God ever put breath into, but, he wasn't a bad bloke.
I remember you used to call him Jarjarbinks. Used to rile him up…"
49 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Frankie Fong's discussion ANOTHER COWARD IS FOUND
"Vlandys is moist for the blackfullas. Will probably have his suspension pushed to next years trials so he doesn't disappoint the Panthers fans once it all blows over.  See what happens when he goes soft on these clowns , if he gave him his medicine…"
1 hour ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Eli Stephens's discussion TITANS ATTACK
"Always had oodles of speed, just no playmakers good enough to do anything with it. "
1 hour ago
LB replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion David Armstrong
"My 18 month old nephew could kick a ball off a tee while going to a local park in Cessnock and Johns would say he is a prodigy. The bloke backs Newcastle every week, now it has worked the last month but early in the year he was picking them and…"
2 hours ago
More…