Injuries and age - who makes the cut?

We all know the roster is aging and lack of young talent coming through is a problem. Adding in the unbalanced salary cap sees us in the current situation we're in. 

Question is - given the age and injury toll, does anyone see any players being let go/medically retired in the near future?

Given Gutho's ongoing knee issues, I wouldn't be too shocked if something like this was announced. But much like what the Rorters are doing, it potentially frees up cap space to chance new players - although that doesn't fix the issues of players actually wanting to play for Parra.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree bar 2/3 players the rest are more than capable of delivering under the guidance of a real coach.

• Imagine what Bennett would do this our roster. .... they would all be firing or out of the squad. 

• If your wanting to be a follow the.leader type and follow the current trend of moving the ball your over hauling your foward pack and looking for more athletic wingers for starters.That's the pure truth of it.

If you want to persist and squeeze the lemon dry you might get one more year with a couple of inclusions before going to your juniors.

Basically if you listen to everyone whose throwing stones right now we don't have the roster to follow the current trend.We aren't athletic enough and are laterally comprimised.

The hard decisions are going to have to be made RCG is the first stone to fall if you want him your still committing yourself to playing a similar style we are now guys like him Joe O Matto Lane and alike are leopards that aren't changing there spots anytime soon and that's fine if you want continuity.

End of the day a lot of cap is tied up in your spine which is fine but you have to understand we are built to play a certain way and if a new coach comes in here and try's and overhauls how we play it'll be an interesting watch as I don't see this team as it currently sits being able to compete with the more athletic sides.

• Totally agree Coryn, the game has changed in the space of a season.

• Coryn, you can still play the power game, you just have to have the shape of the pack right, Hopgood and Carty give our pack shape, as I said in a previous post, one more of that style and the others fall into place. Matto can be a genuine middle to compliment the current structure, I think Lane is gone as stated (maybe retained as a middle bench, but at half the salary).Also Joe O who I like really doesn't offer enough, shame to offload him when he has been through so many clubs, but definately a recruit for a new team in the comp and a handy pick up for a club struggling for middles.

• Our pack is very unbalanced age wise. How we got to this position with 5 of our starting forwards 30 to 31 is all on Arthur , the coach lives and dies with results and the team he builds. and if the ba apologists dont like it they are fake fans with vested interests and have ver low standards.   

The club is heading for a long period being bottom four because of BA... 

BA has to be axed its that simple. 

Gutho has a year left . I doubt he can keep on playing fb with his injury situation.   

Looks like a massive rebuild,  

Cut o'neill now

Cut Arthur now 

• Chief, the last thing we need right now is Brad Arthur having a say in the rebuild.

He will be chasing collision players when we need touch footballers.

Could be in for 10 years of failure if he is allowed anywhere near the rebuild.

• Absolutely that would be the worst case scenario.

BA plus another rebuild - just F him off already for Christ sake.

• In my opinion it's been more out of luck than coaching that BA has gotten anything out of his backs. BA has consistently seen out backline as an afterthought,  a mere complimentary piece to our forward pack. 

BA's 'Chase The Collision ' style is fine to an extent for our forward pack, but our backs should absolutely not, as a general rule, be chasing the Collision. Our backs need to be chasing the space, and we need backs fast enough and nimble enough to exploit that space. 

BA's insistence on big lumbering wingers, almost back rowers with 2 and 5 on their backs, also majorly disadvantages us in defence. Every team at some point gets burnt on the outside, but having a speedy backline means we can turn and scramble. Our current backs, almost to a man, turn like super tankers. 

There's only a few I'd move on from our forward pack, but our backs, I'd be telling most of them they can look elsewhere. 

• His problem is in the outside back area is we've had guys like Radradra Jennings and Fergo who they haven't really replaced.

Sivo while he's scored tries meter eating gas gone to the pack.Penisini is playing decent footy but we've definitely back tracked in the meter eating stakes.

I don't think Arthur lucked into anything he got the team 4/5 seasons to the 2nd week of the finals and the GF that's not luck.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

adnan replied to Frankie Fong's discussion ANOTHER COWARD IS FOUND
"Heard she is a parra supporter"
23 minutes ago
KENDOZA replied to Frankie Fong's discussion ANOTHER COWARD IS FOUND
"He's a grub just look at his brother Tyrone may he has no respect for women either.Mark my words he won't get a harsh penalty because he plays for the golden boys."
23 minutes ago
fake midget pseudoachondroplasia replied to Frankie Fong's discussion ANOTHER COWARD IS FOUND
"May was the player who slammed someone while celebrating the grand final in 21.  Don't even think he was in the side that won grand final but remember a mate from our Penrith way saying he won't last in NRL due to his attitude and known as a…"
35 minutes ago
LB replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion David Armstrong
"Yeah Coryn, Talagi to me shows a sense of healthy arrogance about his game. It is needed when playing Fullback. The fact he has been able to be compitent at least at Fullback despite being raw in the position shows the talent he has. 
As for the…"
1 hour ago
More…