Hayne's new $400k TPA - Is it "at arms length"??

The details of Hayne's new $400,000.00 Third Party Agreement have come out, and the person footing the bill is only to happy to speak about it:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/the-man-who-delivered-jarryd-hayne-to-the-gold-coast-titans-20160806-gqmnha.html

Here's the quote that piqued my interest:

"Black is the owner and founder of TripADeal, one of Australia's fastest growing companies. He poured in $400,000 to get Hayne. That figure is also his yearly commitment to the deal."

"Black's money was being talked about in football circles. Chris Orr, the manager of Eels coach Brad Arthur, heard about the interest from Black and made an approach. Black wasn't interested at all. "I wanted to help the Titans," Black said."

He specifically said he was doing this to help the TItans, not to help Hayne as an individual. How is that considered "at arms length"? Let's refresh ourselves on how the NRL puts it again:

If a player is receiving money from any person as a way of inducing him to play for the club, then that money will be included in the Salary Cap.

https://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

So...is this $400k included in the Titans cap???

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• so what part of our 600k wasn;t countered in the salary cap blow out

are you saying we were also given 600k not included in the salary cap when we were done for breaching the cap

• Oh wow I didn't realise they'd put the full $400k under Marquee Player Allowance - that's going to kick their butt come next year surely considering they'll have the full value of Peats to account for as well. Oh well, perfectly legitimate, and if that's the case then good luck to them. Still very glad we didn't tie that much up in Hayne.

• NRL is as consistent as their bunker
  • Can anyone tell me who gets MPA in our team??
    Not Foran coz his was illegal third party's
    • Luke Kelly?
      Jennings?
  • Nah it's got to be penis fingers or no hands Toutai.
  • It is interesting that black sort if insinuated (if not the reporter at least) that the potential scenario of a Titans gold sponsor doing a 3rd party tpa for Jarryd at the eels or dragons was considered...good on him for recognising his local community I guess
  • TPA's are all bullshit!! - How is it a fair & equitable system, when one city clubs have a mortgage on all that is on offer in that city?? - You have a salary cap & no club should be allowed to spend more than that amount FFS!!

This  would be better:- Players with more than 5 years service at the one club are allowed to go in the cap at 10% discount off their wage. Each club is allowed one marquee signing (& one only), who can be signed for anything at all & is outside the cap, - Strictly enforced & a hell of a lot easier than these dodgy deals done at the moment!!

• Now you just speaking too much sense Craig. How do you expect the NRL to keep up with you?
  • There is the 600k allowance that doesn't been to be arms lengths. Clubs are allowed to source them apparently.
    If they've used that gees they've gone all in on Hayne.
    If they haven't used that then this TOA is definitely not arms length.
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Eelvangelist replied to Simon Priestly's discussion ZERO TACKLE OFF CONTRACT LIST
"Have faith son.  Dr Doom would be envious of you.  Be at peace my boy."
3 minutes ago
Eli Stephens replied to Simon Priestly's discussion ZERO TACKLE OFF CONTRACT LIST
"I remember we tried to sign Wilson from the dogs last year but he knocked us back to stay in reserve grade at the dogs 🤣. Silly lad "
25 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Hell On Eels's discussion Magic Round 11 v Melbourne: In the Eye of the Storm
"I'm having a beer with a good friend of mine in a couple of weeks who is the attack/back coach for the NZ U/20s union side.He just spent a few days with Wayne Bennett at the Dolphins setup this week just gone.
I asked him a few questions about what…"
37 minutes ago
HKF replied to Simon Priestly's discussion ZERO TACKLE OFF CONTRACT LIST
"We need speed on the edges, wingers and edge forwards are our immediate needs and maybe hooker depending on how MA goes when given the chance which will be soon I suspect. "
45 minutes ago
More…