BRINGING Jarryd Hayne back to the Parramatta Eels would have forced the club to pay him $500,000 for five dead-rubber games and cut two key players to fit under the salary cap.Hayne was determined to return to the NRL immediately after his failed attempt to make Fiji’s gold medal-winning Rio Sevens team.Parramatta Eels administrator Max Donnelly told the Parramatta Advertiser the club could not afford to bring Hayne to the club in 2016, but offered him the opportunity to return to the club in 2017.Jarryd Hayne was a fan favourite among Eels supporters during his time at Parramatta..Gold Coast offered a more lucrative offer and agreed to let Hayne play immediately, which is why the former San Francisco 49er is now a Titan.“We couldn’t make the eight and it would have cost $500,000 to $600,000 to have him play out the season,” Donnelly said.“We were happy to offer him a contract for the next three years worth $2.5 million, but the Gold Coast offered him $2.4 million over two years and the opportunity to play this year, which is something that we couldn’t do.“The only thing that annoyed me is that he said Parramatta never made him an offer. With every discussion, a verbal agreement is reached before a contract is made.“Jarryd didn’t help ­himself, and he alienated himself from a lot of ­Parramatta fans.”Parramatta Eels administrator Max Donnelly. Picture: Brett CostelloDonnelly said the club would have had to cut two players to fit Hayne under the salary cap. Parramatta’s playing stocks had already been reduced during the season as the club released Junior Paulo and Nathan Peats after being found guilty of breaching the salary cap.Donnelly said the club would still welcome Hayne back if he wanted to ­return to the Eels after his contract with the ­Titans expires at the end of the 2018 season.“I wouldn’t give up hope of bringing him back,” Donnelly said.“When his contract is up at the Gold Coast he will still be only 30 … but that would be the coach’s decision.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Interesting. Max did the right thing definitely.

• Looks like old Max & BA held their nerve and didnt flinch. Unlikely previous boards and coaches who panicked and gave him whatever he asked. 

• So did the Tits have 600k available under the salary cap?

To my way of thinking they needed around 1.2 to 1.5 mil avail under the cap last year for the NRL to allow Hayne to play out 2016. If he is a million plus player that is what should be coming off their cap, otherwise they are technically well and truly over the cap from the point of view of the value of their roster and are give a huge advantage in those remaining games (including the semis) over opposition teams.

Oh well, don't suppose it matters really, the useless fek only scored one point for them anyway lol.

I hope he never pulls on an Eels jersey again. Strongly doubt he ever will.

• I'm liking our principal Dondelinger.
  • Max the best thing to happen to the club in a long time, he's done more in 2 months then those over Muppets did in over 2 years.

•  Only 2 years? I think we can go WAAAAaaaaaayy back

• Alan BA came first. BA is the best thing to happen to this club in a long time the rest are just added bonuses
  • and to think, we wouldn't have lost Peats if Foran did the right thing and left before it all imploded.
  • MAX THE MAN
  • max made it right  

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Will 5150 replied to Hell On Eels's discussion Houston In Hindsight: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
"Agree.
There would be more analysis in this blog of HOE's than has occurred by the Board we have the whole time they've been there.
The stats paint a picture of something highly alarming and as you say, something that is absolutely not BAU or to be…"
15 minutes ago
Michael Ericson replied to Hell On Eels's discussion Houston In Hindsight: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
"Exactly. He was never those things yet people were fine with him when we had Fergo on the other wing because as a combo it worked. I'm not saying there isn't a couple of bad things that have crept into game over the last 12 or 18 months particularly…"
22 minutes ago
BEM replied to Hell On Eels's discussion Houston In Hindsight: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
"I don't get the Sivo hate.
He has never been a metre eater or a speed machine.
He has always been there as a finisher and he is one of the best finishers in the business with an enviable strike rate. 
As for his defence, he is no worse than…"
39 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion Tevita Taumoepenu now at South Sydney
"I understood the appeal of Taumoepenu who was 21 at the time of the deal i believe. He was a workhorse Prop, had some form in NSW Cup and wanted to develop him further. But there is no need to give him a top 30 deal for 2024.
But on top of that, we…"
42 minutes ago
More…