Eels squad hit with COVID

From The Mole (so take it for what it is):

COVID DECIMATES EELS

Parramatta has been hit harder than most clubs by the COVID epidemic.

In just the last week, the bug has hit coach Brad Arthur, many of his staff and star players Mitchell Moses and Reagan Campbell-Gillard.

"About two-thirds of the squad and training staff have had it by now," an Eels insider told Wide World of Sports yesterday.

"It's made things tough but better to get it now than during the season and the rest of the boys have soldiered on."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-news-the-mole-martin-taupau-parramatta-eels-canterbury-bulldogs-newcastle-knights-luke-brooks/95517008-10a8-45ca-bcab-afc62a19fee4

 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

  • This reply was deleted.
    • I can't remember the last time I lasted 80 minutes. 

      • Last time the Eels lasted 80 minutes?

    • These are incrdibly fit and young athletes. They'll be alright. COVID won't affect them like everybody else.

      Look at Nick Kyrgios for example. Had COVID and in the same week, he breezed through a 3 set game and won the first round of the Aus Open.

      • That's a very broad and sweeping statement. There are no doubt players with asthma, players with issues such as rheumatoid arthritis and other chronic conditions. There is also research coming out of Europe and the US revealing that there are drops in performance after players return from COVID. This is elite level, contact sport where even being off by a few per cent can be a massive detriment.

        Players returning from COVID in the NBA had significantly reduced minutes, even if their other stats were about normal for them. You put that into an NRL side and you have issues regarding interchanges if players can't punch out their usual minutes.

        Players in European football leagues are playing fewer minutes and making fewer passes even months after infection.

        We can't just assume every player will be right to return immediately and at the same level they were before infection.

        • apparently they are able to regain 95% of their pre-covid fitness/endurance back but its the remaining 5% that is proving difficult for many of them

           

          • Yeh and at the elite level, that 5% can be telling. I wonder if the NRL will look at larger match day squads to provide more flexibility to teams, or possibly even increasing the interchange restriction temporarily.

        • Nailed it Super

           

  • Hit harder than most??? Even in a global pandemic Parra is still the worst club apparently. 

    • Lol the stupid so called journalism never stops..shit look for the game 

      • Well, we have been. Most clubs have copped half their squad or less contracting COVID. We're well over that. Although we do have 100% vaccine coverage in the squad.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Hell On Eels replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R11 v Manly: Which Personality will Manifest?
"Daz, I was chuckling out loud; classic blog. 
Really, unless Jake or Bryce are on the bench we've got Sybil's 16 multiple personalities covered. 
The giant, Olakau'atu, is another threat with those crash plays. Dylan will be busy. 
The Silvertails…"
5 minutes ago
Snake - Unicorn wrangler replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R11 v Manly: Which Personality will Manifest?
"Hahaha! Daz loved the D.I.D opening lol, theres some imbecilic Dids on youtube, pretty much every one is larping as one, its trendy to have these days.
Youre onto something here Daz, we come out with a different personality every week.
Another great…"
38 minutes ago
Prof. Daz’s discussion was featured
Sybil (1973), by Flora Rheta Schreiber, is a book about Sybil Dorsett (an alias for Shirley Ardell Mason), who was treated for multiple personality disorder (now called dissociative identity disorder) by her psychoanalyst (Cornelia B. Wilbur). As…
53 minutes ago
Prof. Daz posted a discussion
Sybil (1973), by Flora Rheta Schreiber, is a book about Sybil Dorsett (an alias for Shirley Ardell Mason), who was treated for multiple personality disorder (now called dissociative identity disorder) by her psychoanalyst (Cornelia B. Wilbur). As…
1 hour ago
More…