Eels fight to retain stars

Source Daily Telegraph 

Parramatta’s fight to retain Reed Mahoney has dramatically escalated after it emerged the Brisbane Broncos were weighing up whether to turn the battle for his signature into a south east Queensland bunfight.
Mahoney is off contract at the end of 2022 and it is understood initial talks have taken place between his camp and the Broncos over a return to Queensland.

Mahoney has also been linked with the Dolphins as his management explore his options at the NRL’s newest franchise, which is due to enter the premiership from 2023.

It is unclear whether Mahoney’s camp have also held talks with the Gold Coast, although the Titans’ search for a hooker has been no secret given they have also flagged an interest in Melbourne rake Brandon Smith.

Sources confirmed to News Corp that the Broncos had been approached over Mahoney and discussions had taken place, although they were very much in the embryonic stage.

It is understood Brisbane are yet to formalise their plans for the 2023 season, although hooker Jake Turpin is off contract at the end of next season and like Mahoney, is up for grabs from November 1.

The Broncos have been steadily rebuilding their roster – they have signed South Sydney captain Adam Reynolds and Penrith premiership winner Kurt Capewell for next season – and their interest in Mahoney is likely to hinge on what direction they decide to take with Turpin, who captained Brisbane on occasions this season.

Mahoney has quickly become one of the most coveted players on the open market and the rising interest in him is set to heap more pressure on Parramatta as they attempt to retain a roster that went within a whisker of the preliminary final this season.

Mahoney aside, the Eels are locked in a fight to retain the likes of Clint Gutherson, Isaiah Papali’i, Junior Paulo, Marate Niukore and Maika Sivo, all of whom are free to sign deals with rival clubs from November 1.

Niukore has already spoken to St George Illawarra and the Warriors, and the Eels are facing an intense battle to hold onto the New Zealand back rower.

Prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard has also indicated he will head to market on November 1 as he pursues a deal for the 2023 season, potentially at the Dolphins.

The last thing the Eels need is a scrap for Mahoney, yet that is exactly what they are facing as he contemplates a return to Queensland.

Mahoney was on the verge of State of Origin selection this year when he was named as part of the extended squad for the Maroons, but a shoulder problem cost him any chance of making his Queensland debut.

His season was then brought to a premature end when his shoulder gave way for good only a matter of weeks before the finals.

The Eels soldiered on without Mahoney and they may have to get used to his absence as he opens talks with teams in south east Queensland about a potential homecoming – he was born on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast and played his junior rugby league at Kawana and Beerwah before moving to Sydney to play SG Ball for the Bulldogs.

The good news for Parramatta is that if Mahoney decides to return home, there are hooking options off contract at the end of next season.

The Eels are expected to fortify their depth in the position by singing former Gold Coast rake Mitch Rein as backup to Mahoney this season. At the end of 2022, Smith and Penrith hooker Api Koroisau are among the quality hookers up for grabs.

Wade Egan and Blake Brailey are also off contract while the Tigers may have a surplus of No. 9s if Josh Hodgson completes his move to the club. That said, the Eels would be loath to lose Mahoney given the way he has elevated his game over the past 12 months.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is good news, we want our players to be so good that they are in demand. It means that our much maligned coaching staff are doing something right. It also means that if we were to lose someone like Reed Mahoney that we'll find and develop someone else. That being said, I'm confident he's staying. 

• I say let him go, we have a perfect replacement in Stone.

• Gutherson may wish he signed the absolutely reasonable offer that he recived earlier this year. He may end up having to relocate to Brisbane for less yet should we deem retaining Mahoney more important it's certainly a great time to be a slightly better than average player. 

• Ive a feeling Reed will leave.

• It was always going to be difficult to keep everyone but it's a good position to be in. We are a destination club now. We operate out of the most vibrant and atmospheric stadium in the game and have the biggest Sydney suport base. Sure Covid has made us forget a few if those things but when things are operating normally we are a club players want to be at now. We are also doing a way better job at bringing through younger players. I think we will hang onto Mahoney. 

• Relax people.

All the players will stay and take unders...

"They love playing for BA"

Thank god we locked him up with the 2 year extension so we don't lose any players.

In the unforeseen event we do lose a few, relax because we most likely re-signed Gutho on a 4 year deal worth $4m.

As for Reed... let him walk. Matthew Arthur plays 9 and will be ready in 2023 with some Jakob like fast tracking. Watch this space.

• Lol

• I see you've gone back to your initial avatar Bert. What happened to your pledge? lol

• The two year extension mate...

I couldn't go the distance with his avatar! 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

EA replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"I am happy to get Lomax, as long it doesn't destroy Talagi's future with the club. Also depends what type of Sivo we get. Because personally based on form, I think we need a winger more than a centre."
1 minute ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I am losing a little patience with Greig. I like him, but he has shown he is prone to injuries, wonder if that is due to size, and fitness problems. Greig is a talent and can be a great Prop in the game, but with the bench the way it is he may get…"
34 minutes ago
"He has played the last two weeks, how long does he need to get fitness? Plus at this stage of his development he shouldn't have to take a month to get match fit."
36 minutes ago
"Suaalii is going to Rugby or staying at Easts."
39 minutes ago
More…