Cronk

Cooper Cronk has announced his retirement at the end of 2019, bringing the curtain down on one of the finest playmaking careers in rugby league history.

Cronk will wrap up his glittering 16-year NRL career at season's end. He officially announced his decision at a media conference at the SCG on Monday morning. 

With 360 Telstra Premiership appearances to his name, Cronk is the most experienced half in NRL history on top of 38 Tests for Australia and 22 Origins in Queensland’s most dominant era.

He tallied four grand final wins and another two appearances in more than 300 games with Melbourne, where he joined Cameron Smith and Billy Slater in one of the most decorated trios of the the modern game.

"I've got a lot of people to thank, the Roosters, Storm and family. I'd just like to thank the entire rugby league community," he said.

"The game doesn't exist without the NRL community and therefore I wouldn't exist. The game cops its whacks but the game has the ability to transform lives and it has transformed mine.

To members, fans, supporters of both the Melbourne Storm and Sydney Roosters - thank you very much. You created an environment, an atmosphere of plenty of support.

"Without Melbourne Storm in my life I'm not the person I am today. I just really appreciate everything Melbourne Storm did for me. I moved down as a teenager and without them I wouldn't be standing here today."

Cronk paid tribute to what he described as "the real big three" of the Melbourne Storm - Billy Slater, Cameron Smith and coach Craig Bellamy.

"Those two guys will go down as the best two players in their position. That makes me the best third wheel the game's ever seen because I just jumped off the back of them," he said.

"I'll be forever grateful for what those two guys did for me on and off the field. I'm pleased and humbled my name gets mentioned in the same breath as those two.

There's not too many people I respect on this planet more than Craig Bellamy. He's never shouted me a beer in 15 years, I can't wait for him to shout me a beer. He's a mate first and coach second.

"The work ethic, the humility, dedication and what it takes to me it, he's taught me that. I wouldn't have the fond memories without Craig Bellamy."

Having moved to the Roosters last year on a lucrative two-year deal, Cronk helped deliver the 2018 title by playing the entire season

His bravery to even take the field and then bring down a rampaging Nelson Asofa-Solomona with a front-on tackle ensured him a place in grand final folklore.

This club has the reputation of living the high life but there's a lot of heart, a lot of selflessness in the Roosters emblem.

"I still don't know why they chose me. They chose me to have the two loves of my life here in Sydney. I thank them from the bottom of my heart for the part they've played in the past 18 months. I still don't think I've lived up to that."

Cronk's retirement will free up a significant portion of salary cap space at the Roosters next year.

Upgrading and retaining Test and Origin centre Latrell Mitchell is the club’s first priority, though it remains to be seen if he moves into the halves as Cronk’s replacement beside Luke Keary, or the Tricolours go to market.

Cronk is expected to remain at the club in a halves mentoring role.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
  • That was hes plan when we were going after him he said i come to Parramatta for 2 years but Parramatta said no we wont you for 1 year then be a assistant coach to BA for 1year then take over as coach

the Roosters said if you want you come to us for two years to help Mitchell Pearce at the time they we going to let go of luke Keary they did think he was any good at the time but pearce jump ship the rest is history 

• Arguably the best halfback in the history of the game.

If he does go nto coaching he has had the best of the modern era to learn from in Bellyache.

All the best Cooper and thanks for the memories.

• VERY arguably! Especially seeing I can name 4 better than him off the top of my head....

• Will the Roosters now chase our young half Brown? I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me. 

• Don’t think we have a chance but still should throw all we got at getting Cronk to Coach the Eels. He seems to be just what we need as coach.  

• Will the Roosters now chase Moses be interesting to see how he would go behind s decent psck

• Just watching this bloke on 360. Just a classy, classy bloke.

• I’ll second that!

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

BringBackSemi replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion The real truth - what next ?
"You mean like the infamous Ricky overhead projector meeting where he cut the bulk of the players?"
48 seconds ago
BringBackSemi replied to Blue Eel's discussion Hidden Truth
"And lower grades as well. Successful clubs like the Panthers and Storm must have similar systems in place across the grades, such that when a player is called up to 1st grade, he just slots in. Nathan Cayless is probably the Steve Bradbury for the…"
4 minutes ago
Speech replied to Speech's discussion NRL Charges
"Parramatta reserves last week had 60% of the ball yet had a 9 to 1 penalty count against them. So it is beginning to show a pattern. Either poor discipline or ther refs simply hate us."
9 minutes ago
Acme replied to Blue Eel's discussion Hidden Truth
"Spot on Carlo. B.A is the good cop, but it apears there's no bad cop! I've been saying for years that Brads language has subconsciously set a low standard.
Remember all the talk just 2 months ago about the importance of starting the season well? I…"
10 minutes ago
More…