Carty Party 2021

Parramatta sign enigmatic playmaker Cartwright on one-year deal

By Adrian Proszenko

Parramatta have thrown Bryce Cartwright a lifeline that gives the enigmatic forward one final chance to fulfil his potential.

The Eels are set to sign Cartwright on a one-year deal with the guarantee of a top-30 spot for 2021. However, the former Panthers and Titans utility has taken a drastic pay cut in order to get another opportunity in the NRL, agreeing to a minimum-wage contract. It is a far cry from the marquee money he was receiving on the Gold Coast after bursting onto the scene as a rookie with Penrith.

"If I was a club, I'd be very wary," Johns said at the time.

"It's up to Bryce. The problem with Bryce is he's had so much talent.

"Everyone can see how much talent he has. You look at rugby league history in the professional era in the last 20 years, some players who have so much talent, it just doesn't do them service because they don't have to work that hard.

"They get on the field and they can do things which take your breath away, but they haven't got that hard edge about working tough and working hard."

The Eels are in the process of filling out the finals spots of their roster for next year. They have signed Cowboys centre Tom Opacic, Warriors forward Isaiah Papali'i and utility Joey Lussick from the Super League.

The club is also privately bracing for the prospect of having to replace veteran centre Michael Jennings, who returned a positive A-sample to performance-enhancing substances earlier this month. Centre is one of the positions Cartwright is capable of filling

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• There is no downside to this. Minimum contract for 1 year. He can put some structure back into his life back in Sydney and could be anything. It's up to him now.

• With the seriously dismal performances from Cartwright at his last clubs, maybe he'll play for a contract and go nuts, BA asks a lot of our forwards so Parra might be a good fit for a year

• Mate, I liked your blog about our bench not having enough impact this year and I agree. Our bench without Nuikore against Souths was shitfull.

If they can get the best out of this bloke he would be a fantastic bench proposition. Time will tell.

• Bloody shame we could not team him up with Asiata imo.

DEEP IMPACT !

• Agree wholeheartedly :)

• A bench of Niukore, Asiata, Kaufusi & a focused Cartright would be potent

• Sure would Bretto. Our bench was weak this year - we seem to be very much focusing on it...

• Still on the cards. Be patient 

• This reply was deleted.
    • Sillier and stranger things have happen BE - If he survives "The Toughest Preseason of All Time" then we are home and hosed.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

HKF replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"How bad was that penalty against DB for not being square at marker that led to the manly try, you couldn't be more square if you had a t-square out on the field. "
58 seconds ago
EA replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"After the first hit up he was acting like he was an ANZAC who has just been through a war"
1 minute ago
Electric Eel 2 replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"The same the Raiders have as a back up half to Fogarty. It is the very same position. Oh, and yes, Fogarty is yet another we let go."
1 minute ago
SHIRE.EEL replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"Hands is set up nicely for the last 5mins of the game. I would of hooked lussick after 20 he's absolute bog average. "
1 minute ago
More…