The Penrith Panthers could be parting ways with prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard next year, with the Parramatta Eels hatching a plan to lure the international to the club.

NRL.com understands the Eels and Panthers have been in discussions about a potential release from the final five years of Campbell-Gillard's deal at Penrith.

While Campbell-Gillard hasn’t asked for a release from the Panthers, NRL.com understands Penrith have had a discussion in the past month with the former Kangaroos forward about his future.

Campbell-Gillard is on a deal worth more than $4 million over the next five years, a lot of money for a prop who they are currently using off the bench.

It’s understood the Panthers would be willing to chip in a portion of Campbell-Gillard’s contract if he was to attract interest from a rival club, however the length of the term could prove a stumbling block.

The Eels, who are also in discussions with Melbourne forward Christian Welch, are trying to bolster their front-row stocks.

The Panthers haven’t granted Campbell-Gillard formal permission to negotiate with rival clubs, however that could change over the next 48 hours.

Campbell-Gillard represented Australia on five occasions during the 2017 World Cup, going on to make his NSW State of Origin debut for NSW in 2018.

However, since breaking his jaw against the Roosters midway through last year, he has struggled to recapture his best form.

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary dropped him to the Canterbury Cup earlier in the year, and he has spent the past seven games coming off the bench since earning a recall to the NRL side.

Each club has been contacted by NRL.com on the matter but neither has made an official statement.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Anything over 450 for RCG is madness and no way Penrith will pay over 50% of the contract

• Absolute bull shit. The blokes worth what hes worth. Up until his jaw was broken he was the best prop in the comp with Klemmer Once he gets his confidence bcak fully, he ll be the same. 

Furthermore with three quality props including Welch they could be played in a rotation situation where a different duo start each week. Not only would this keep them fresh but other packs wouldnt know what was comi g from one week to the next.

• We really need a decent 2nd rower with Mau going as well, thats a lot of money for middle forwards with us being very skinny on the edges. It may cost us Stefano or Kaufisi or even both.

• I would just like to see us not have to play pissy second rowers as props and have it around the other way for a change.

• Grunts, Welch's profile at the Storm shows him prop - second rower. Has the size for either position and ideal to cover either position. In fact I would see him as the priority signing over RCG, having both of them come to the eels really brings us players that have high work rates. If the NRL do make changes to the interchange next year, its what we need for going forward/

• Yeah, I said the other day after we released Bevan French that I'd like to see us promote him next. Maybe even find a way to get him some game time before the end of the season.

• I must admit I haven't seen much of him, but he is the only young edge forward we've got, other than Niukore, so I would assume he's one the coaching staff have been steadily developing.

• Im not sure if he's the right guy.

• Haha, right back at you brother sluggy, will have to catch up on the blower soon mate, call any time.

I havnt gone anywhere mate, just taking a back seat for a few other things, all good but thanks buddy, love ya mate.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Titan replied to Muttman's discussion Souths Anzac Jersey
"The Navy jersey is great, beats the shit camouflage eels jersey they did a few years back"
42 seconds ago
HKF replied to Electric Eel 2's discussion Lomax is a freak
"Who appoints the football club board and when and how do they change?."
58 seconds ago
Muttman replied to Muttman's discussion Souths Anzac Jersey
"Imagine if the Eels pulled that stunt. This place would meltdown. "
2 minutes ago
HKF replied to Muttman's discussion Souths Anzac Jersey
"Only the bulldogs could get away with that one."
3 minutes ago
More…