Brad Arthur press conference

Another embarassing defeat.

I thought Brad Arthur's comments in the after match press conference revealed a lot about what is going on at the Eels.
Firstly he was clearly frustrated and there were indications that he was "Out of answers"

The following comment was particularly telling. Arthur was talking about the players making "soft choices,"
to which he then added "The players have to fix it. We can only talk about it so many times. 
The players have to fix it don't they."

The comment clearly suggests that Arthur was not just referring to the players attitude in this particular match, it indicates
that he has noticed this "attitude" over a significant period of time.

The comment also indicates that he has spoken to the players about this a number of times. The frustation in Arthur's  voice indicates that whatever way he has attempted
to address this has not worked. It has not made a consistent impact among the greater part of the playing group. This seems to indicate that there are
some players who aren't happy with the way Arthur has gone about this.  

The sub text of what Arthur is saying is that there are a number of disgruntled players among the playing group.
A few disgruntled players can affect the whole team dynamic as everyone knows.

The best "man manager" coaches know how to address this.

It would seem, based on these comments that Arthur cannot be placed in that
category.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We can't dump them to cup because we have to field a team and our reserve grade side is abysmal. The lack of depth is what allows this rot to set in, without constant competition for top level spots the players have less reason to put in full effort every week.

I'm not defending BA because he's definitely done as coach, but our roster building (R&R) is close to if not the worst in the entire NRL and it's inexcusable.

Without a strong 30 man roster and junior grades knocking on the door we will never have a great 1st Grade team because the pressure isn't there.

• Completely agree on the lack of depth which sees no real accountability and allows continued poor performance, but if it was a bunch of kids and nobody's out there playing for us last night, and they had near fifty put on them, that would be easier to take than watching our 'Stars' get folded like they did. 

• Junior and Gutho are having good seasons, Junior has found his right spot and Gutho would have been man of the match on at least 3 occasions and top 4 after that. Lane has been abysmal no arguments there and Matto doesn't seem to be getting enough time. Whilst he has been on, he has been OK.

We have second grade wingers with the possible exception of Simmonsson, who is rocks and diamonds but I believe in the right backline/side he could be much better than what we see.

The juniors that were highlighted have been appalling with the exception of Matt Arthur and I am giving Sanders a pass mark based on you can't blame a half with the quality of our second grade backs.....not to mention the forwards? Talagi is not in the same league as his 19 year old contempories at other clubs.

Care we dont throw the baby out with the bathwater with some of the players you have mentioned Simon.

Finally,

In the world of football, there is a term that strikes fear into the hearts of managers: "Losing the Dressing Room." It refers to the moment when a manager or coach loses the respect, trust, and support of the players in the team.

It’s a dangerous time for any manager, in sport or in business...... this an extract and not my quote, but relevant in the discussion of what does losing the dressing room mean!

• Doesn't he realise that he lost the dressing room?? He is wasting our time sticking around, just bugger off already

• Understanding " attitude" and how to teach, create and constantly being on top of it for individual players and team mindset I would have thought was an integral part of coaching. Shifting responsibility, yelling, blaming or punishing players for attitude is not how you motivate or teach people. Doing it badly or ignoring this aspect only creates resentment.

• Spot on. Excellent interpersonal skills is essential in any leadership position in any field. You have got to have a vision and bring all people along in support of that vision. It doesn't seem like Arthur is connecting with the players.

• Tad , he's mollycoddled around these cockheads for years and hasn't called them out and it's got us nowhere . This mindset is why we have a generation of soft weak gutted young  humans in this country today. Maybe they need to be given a participation award too.  It's time they're called out and put their balls to the wall .  It's time we tell one of our " big stars " they're free to negotiate elsewhere . 

• Wizz would being called a lot of derogatory insults motivate your desire to respond to someone elses criticism of you or make you more pissed off and attack the guy attacking you?

• Wizz I once spoke to a player who was not selected to play in a Grand final which we won under Jack Gibson. He told me that Jack phoned him the night before the game and apologised to him for non selection and it was a difficult decision for him. Players wanted to play for Gibson for who he was not for fear of him.

Can you imagine Bennett or Cleary blasting his players? I don't know about Bellamy. I would expect Bellamy is a play the ball type rather than play the man

• Tad , I didn't hear any derogatory insults , only calling players out , not even naming them as individuals.  If they can't handle that then we have very much the wrong players.  

Do you think not doing this has been working to date ? 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Big D replied to Rabz S's discussion South Sydney to offer Wayne Bennett three-year deal as Eels pass on supercoach
"Cancelled my membership last week and in the process of packing all my jerseys and other supporter wear to send to the club with a great big dog shit on top.
 "
30 seconds ago
BringBackSemi replied to Rabz S's discussion South Sydney to offer Wayne Bennett three-year deal as Eels pass on supercoach
"Buzz stuck it to the board in the Daily Telegraph NRL podcast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0opRz27SD2c
About the 22 minute mark they are discussing Parra and moves (or lack thereof) on Bennett"
19 minutes ago
Graham polkinghorne replied to Rabz S's discussion South Sydney to offer Wayne Bennett three-year deal as Eels pass on supercoach
"Not sure about that. Doubt Souths are going to wait 2mths for Bennet to choose between the 2 clubs. Souths have copped a bit of flak over how they have handled this coaching saga already. Think they will put a firm offer on the table, give Bennet…"
24 minutes ago
Titan replied to Rabz S's discussion South Sydney to offer Wayne Bennett three-year deal as Eels pass on supercoach
"Yep Sue are the exact types on a sporting club board who will not do whatever it takes for that club to be successful on the field immediately. "
49 minutes ago
More…