Brad Arthur press conference

Another embarassing defeat.

I thought Brad Arthur's comments in the after match press conference revealed a lot about what is going on at the Eels.
Firstly he was clearly frustrated and there were indications that he was "Out of answers"

The following comment was particularly telling. Arthur was talking about the players making "soft choices,"
to which he then added "The players have to fix it. We can only talk about it so many times. 
The players have to fix it don't they."

The comment clearly suggests that Arthur was not just referring to the players attitude in this particular match, it indicates
that he has noticed this "attitude" over a significant period of time.

The comment also indicates that he has spoken to the players about this a number of times. The frustation in Arthur's  voice indicates that whatever way he has attempted
to address this has not worked. It has not made a consistent impact among the greater part of the playing group. This seems to indicate that there are
some players who aren't happy with the way Arthur has gone about this.  

The sub text of what Arthur is saying is that there are a number of disgruntled players among the playing group.
A few disgruntled players can affect the whole team dynamic as everyone knows.

The best "man manager" coaches know how to address this.

It would seem, based on these comments that Arthur cannot be placed in that
category.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Better keep Wayne away from her if he comes back to NSW 

• All the bullshit about age etc will be interesting when the new coach comes in?

God help if he doesn't consult with you guys first!

• Him getting antsy and simply annoyed showed his voice is falling on death ears and he is losing them at a rapid pace. He wont resign as he is too proud but i think that message could be "If you want me here, show everyone".

• The next few weeks we will see if they respond to his comments. They will either put in or keep sliding down, which obviously shows his time is up and lost the dressing room. 

• Well next week i think will be the decider. We come out and put up another sub par performance then that is that.

• I'm tipping 40 plus on us again, or maybe they will play next week and go back to sleep the week after. 

• You guys are again missing the points, its not a matter of him getting the dressing room back. He has to change tactics which fundamentally he cannot do.  If he has lost the dressing room, its for this reason and noone of the personal issues you want to invent or blame.

This is where management has failed, BA doesn't know much different. Like many people in RL he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.....the smart man would have seen 5 plus years ago plus that the game was changing faster than him and he needed to get a different style of support. Someone like Barrett could be sitting there seeing all this and not able to do a thing because BA doesn't listen.....he has proven now repeatedly he cannot change.

This is now a management issue from the CEO and board and someone like Bennett would see it in 5 minutes by talking to the players and coaches. I don't think we will get Bennett and I am not sure if we can get anyone else with enough "sway" to change anything. If we can't get Bennett, go for Ponnisi with an offer to good to refuse.....if we cant get him get Matt Cameron with the same offer......but BA needs to go, early exit interviews would tell us a lot.

• Well Kent missed that in his explanation last night. Mentioning ruffling feathers and dropping players. All well and good but the tactics will still outdated.

When most of us say a new voice, it doesn't have to mean sick of hearing him talk as a person, mainly him talking about the way to win games is not working anymore and the tactics are failing need new ideas.

We understand it just fine Poppa.

• Listening I mean really listening to others is a difficult skill to master.

• As much as BA, the senior players in our side , our 'leaders' are underperforming , Gutho, Junior, Matto and  Lane especially. How is anything they say at training or on the field going to be embraced and acted on without question, when the younger guys look at the dog shit performances they are putting in. How are they meant to inspire anyone to do more. 

I think this has been one of the major failures of BA, not pulling aside and absolutely ripping these guys,  they are the likely sickness in this team. If they can't lead by example, wether it's through injury or attitude, then dump them to Cup, or make them own it and leave. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Senior Players / BA
"We should of been improving over the last few seasons but we have gone backwards. Having no back half, or plan b going into the season is just plan stupidity. Same with no first grade hooker. 
Forwards look lethargic, slow, under done and not…"
41 minutes ago
Hell On Eels replied to Rabz S's discussion South Sydney to offer Wayne Bennett three-year deal as Eels pass on supercoach
"Frankie, Yep, fair points.
Yet, hasn't Sue Coleman been with us for some time? And her profile says she held a position on our PNRL footy board before.
Sue was at the 66th AGM (Jack's Bar and Grill) on 27 Feb 2024 in her capacity as a director of…"
1 hour ago
Snakey - Sack Dylan Brown replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Senior Players / BA
"Exactly right Brad, we're in the comfort zone, we have been for a long time under BA and this board.
Theres plenty of people at the club feathering their own nests and pissing in each others pockets.
Theres obviously a huge lack of accountability…"
2 hours ago
KENDOZA replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Senior Players / BA
"Gutho is so far up Arthur's arse if he spits its coming out of Arthur's mouth"
2 hours ago
More…