BEVAN French is set to start the NRL season as Parramatta fullback ahead of Jarryd Hayne, with coach Brad Arthur revealing Clint Gutherson is unlikely for round one.

Arthur has indicated speedster French’s strong pre-season sees him the leading fullback candidate as Gutherson battles back from a serious knee injury suffered in July.

It raises questions about Hayne’s place in the side, with the star recruit facing a battle with Michael Jennings and Brad Takairangi for a place in the centres.

Hayne Plane talks about his return 'home' to the Parramatta Eels
“Gutho, I think he won’t start the season. We know he won’t be ready until a couple of rounds in,” Arthur told Sky Sports Radio on Thursday.

“That’ll give Bevan an opportunity.

“He’s (French) done a lot of weights and put on a bit of size and strength. He’s worked really hard on his fitness.

“He knows that there is an opportunity for him to start the season at fullback.”

Parramatta Eels coach Brad Arthur with the team.
Arthur praised veteran Hayne’s application since arriving back at his original club from the Gold Coast under the cloud of a US rape allegation.

But there was no guarantee of an Eels starting berth, with Mitchell Moses and Corey Norman benefiting from a first pre-season as halves partners.

Arthur suggested Hayne’s best bet was in the centres, where he played for NSW and five games for the Titans last year.

“He’s been really good with his effort areas and attitude towards the conditioning,” Arthur said.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

“I just want him to make sure he continues to work hard to give himself every opportunity to get the miles in his legs so he can have those 20 or 30m sprints more often and be more effective.

“But we’re not also going to be relying on him. He just needs to be Jarryd Hayne and play his role and fit into the team.

“He can play centres for us. If we get an injury in the halves, he can play halves. He can play fullback, but we’ve got a lot of flexibility with blokes covering our halves and that fullback role.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just as we all thought - Hayne to left centre, Taka to second row, quite possibly in Wenty unless there are injuries?
    • Yep this is the go, taka has to be our super sub. Can play pretty much every position. Has played a heap if games in second row and the halves transition wont be hard at all for him 

• Big Sports Breakfast interview link with BA

https://www.facebook.com/Thebigsportsbreakfast/videos/1675513525821...

Arthur on Hayne

"He just needs to be Jarryd Hayne and play his role." Parramatta Eels Head Coach, Brad Arthur, on Hayne's return to the club.

Posted by The Big Sports Breakfast on Wednesday, January 17, 2018
  • Doesn't matter what BA say some people on here will still insist they know hayne hayne was signed as a fullback
  • As ive said all along, Brads obviously bought Jarryd for centre.

He wont undermine Bev and Guth at the back, Jarryds a great centre imo and will absolutely kill it there.

JH can play any position he really puts his mind to, he'd kill it at 5/8 if he really applied himself.

If Brad can get Jarryd to buy into his vision for him in a certain position i believe he can play anywhere hes that talented.

Hes got a perfect body type for centre, a killer cut out pass, a nice short kicking game, quality defence, great support play, at this point in his career i think hes got a lot more to offer at centre than FB and i reckon Brad knows that too.

• Australias best 2013 world cup playing at centre

• I am hearing our Mr Hayne is really putting in at training and is going to surprise a lot of people
  •  Hello chiefy, anybody seen chiefy lol?

• Chief has been bullied on TCT, I’m worried about him!

R u ok Chief?

• He must have had an opinion that was different to 60s lol

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"So that says we have a coach that can beat Penrith . The fact we lost to the tigers says we have a poor attitude . And we have for decades. On and off feild leadership is as big a problem as coaching. And that may not necessarily only apply to the…"
3 hours ago
Poupou Escobar replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
""Friday nights game should have been nearly closed out in the first 25 minutes. We had enough ball and field position to take the wind out of the Phins."
You really think so? At halftime we had 50% possession: iStats/NRL (championdata.com)
If we had…"
3 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 8 Team List v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (ANZAC Round)
"You know that 40/20 is not a persons real name , nor does it divulge who said person is off screen , ya Wally. Could you try any harder to find an excuse to be outraged ?   What the difference between mentioning a podcasters alias and talking about…"
4 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Mattersons a Christian sect member, pretty sure he's a convert from Catholic. Confusing I know , considering he acts Jewish. "
4 hours ago
More…