Are our Eels relentless enough to win it. l.

1.  In my years of watching footy the relentless teams with defensive intensity ,the continual roll of a wave in attack for the full 80 minutes are generally the overall winners of competitions. Week in week out it has to be produced. The grunt work  is necessary  to unleash the stars.  In your face defence for 80, zip and run from dummy half. Everybody backing up a half break. Our great Eels sides had it,  the Storm and Roosters have shown it the last 20 years . We have the players ,we have the coaching staff , do we have the desire to get it done.   

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think we will be better than last year, but need a good run with key players.

I actually think we will be top 6 again, but have belief we can get to the preliminary final. Yes there's pressure on us, but there is also pressure on the rest, let alone the woeful teams of 2021....our main group is the same and we lose some players in 12 months. So what? We have moved on and will get others.

BA has pressure on him and so he should- we got little luck against Penrith in the semi, and things could have been different. We just need that cool head on the field - hence Rein and Hodgson coming in. 

• I think if we beat Penrith, South's style still would've blown us off the park unfortunately. 

• True Wiz, "styles make fights".

• We would never have matched it with their speed, and we wouldn't have gotten the leg up from the officials that Penrith did. Personally I reckon Souffs would've embarrassed us. Penrith were more rubbish against us than we were good. We don't have anywhere near good enough attack or creativity to balance out the points. 

• I agree with that Wiz, our defence last year had no response or resilience to what South's could throw at us. They made us look like amateurs. I hope we have learnt from that as I think they will be a force again despite the loss of Reynolds and Bennett.

• Yeah south's really are a mystery box this year. I think Reynolds will be a big loss for his leadership on the paddock. I think Walkers too mentally soft not to implode. Bennett is the glue that kept many of these indigenous blokes grounded. They seriously could implode even with one of the best rosters in the comp just from losing both these guys from a guidance perspective. Really depends on how this new coach lives up to his expectations and how strong he is at keeping Crowe at bay should they lose a few games. Bennett wouldn't have taken one ounce of shit from Rusty , but he's earnt that respect. 

itd be impossible as a rookie coach not to let the bos take over when your jobs on the line. You get sacked from your first gig without at least half proving yourself you'll never get a gig again. 

• Good points Wiz. Demetriou talks a good game and should start the season with a strong supportive dressing room...., but he has something to prove.. to the boss.

Rusty will make him or break him.

• Then you also have the issue of a big head like Walker respecting a rookie coach enough to take a roasting from him. Bennett could put an immortal on show in front of his peers and they'd take it on board , but a rookie with a whole bunch of big egos ? We saw what happened to Barrett  at Moanly once the players decided they were bigger than him. The owners sided with the players. Brisbane have had the same issue for years . Madge at South's once he didn't have the best and most cap illegal team since the Storm. 

As I said huge mystery box. private ownerships a whole different can of worms. 

• You are giving me confidence Wiz, they are our Achilles heel... 

• I know Brettles disagrees with me , but I think this year The Titans will be in the mix to make our job harder also.  But let's face it COVID could flip shit on its head and some bullshit team like The Tigers could win the comp simply by having the best run with avoiding infection. Melbourne or Penrith could seriously win the spoon 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Eel for life posted a discussion
1. Gutho2. Simonson3. Penisini4. Talagi.5. Russel6. Brown 7. Sanders8. RCG9. Hands10. Paulo11. Lane12. Hopgood13. Matterson14. Doorey15. Ofenguae 16. Greg17. Makatoa
46 seconds ago
Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst replied to Frankie Fong's discussion A MESSAGE FROM THE FONG
"These days for me, footy and the Eels is just a 80min escape from life even though it's punishment atm....you just never know what lies around the corner in terms of life and death. Sad!!"
54 seconds ago
Eli Stephens replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"Him or Blaize will get Flb. Other will get centre, Gutho is nearing the end tbh"
2 minutes ago
BringBackSemi replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"I reckon Lomax was probably promised FB when Gutho is past it. Probably incentives built into that deal if and when that happens.
Might be sooner than we think!"
3 minutes ago
More…