- COVID

- We played the Broncos in round 7

- We won 46-6

- Our spine was

1 - Gutherson

6 - Brown

7 - Moses

9 - Mahoney

- Our side looked arguably stronger than this weeks line up.

- Broncos line up looks strong 'on paper' too. Well it certainly doesnt look terrible.

- We played Cowboys in round 8

- We lost 35-4

- Our spine was

1 - Gutherson

6 - Arthur

7 - Moses

9 - Mahoney

- YES, this was the year Brown was picked in the centres. But I had a looked back and our reserve grade sides had names like Komolafe, Cini, Loizou, and Minhinnick in the backs.... So looking back now I can kind of see why Brad went that way. It's not like any of these names have proven him wrong.

- We had some injuries concerns in our backs at the time and were picking Hayze Perham on the wing. He was getting targetted and manhandled. Seems to have increased his size and strength in more recent years but it hasnt helped him cement a stop at the dogs, so there's that too. Of note Maika Sivo, Tom Opacic, Waqa Blake, Sean Russell, Haze Dunster, and even the then surprisingly reliably 'good' centre Marata Niukore were unavailable. Looking back it made sense to pick the then best reserve grade player and just try to move Brown for a week.

- We played the Broncos in round 8

- We lost 26-16. I think we were completely outplayed though and Broncos looked completely in control of the game from start to finish.

- Our spine was

1- Gutherson

6 - Brown

7 - Moses

9 - Hodgson

- On paper this was probably our best lineup of the year, in terms of injuries and suspensions. The side is arguably much stronger than this weeks line up, considering it contains Harper, Asi, and is missing a halfback.

When you look back at just one game over the last 5 years (i.e. the Darwin game as I have just done) you can kind of see why the "experts" reckon we missed our window. Hopefully not and hopefully we put a big score on against the depleted Redcliffe side. I just cant help but feel this game (in the circumstances) would have been a rare NRL opportunity to win big if we played it at Parramatta. But, now with the heat, no halfback and playing a side expected we are still expected to beat, I wouldnt be surprised if we find a way to lose this one.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Penrith has higher highs in the hotter months but also lower lows in the colder months than Brisbane. With games played in the colder months that's why some say it's an advantage to Qld teams.

But saying that I think it's excuses. The opposition are playing in the heat too. Just gotta be a bit smarter with the line up and use of the interchange. Field position and thus kicking game are probably slightly more important too but looking back we had good middles and Moses, so no excuses there either. Last year's game in particular was very disappointing considering it was just about (or close to) the strongest side we could name at the time.

• Darwin is almost 3500km from Brisbane. North Qld are the only team we shouldn't play up there since it's our home game

• Agree with that Al

• Yeah we've only lost 3 games in Darwin. . Twice to the Cowboys who we should never have to play up there and last year to the Bronx who were just too good for us, they would have beaten us even in Sydney 

• I dont have an issue with taking a game somewhere and think the NRL should make every team take 1 game to regional centre or somewhere to grow the game.  I also think it helps with team bonding as they go away and do footy clinics for kids so are away longer then an average away game.

While some are concerned with our record there it appears on par or even above our season win % but slightly below home ground win % but I would be interested to see if it affects our following week performance after big travel and extreme heat/humidity.  I think that is where we could see a bigger negative affect then the game itself especially with BA lack of bench interchange to share workloads.

• I would not have known but someone pointed out that our record was pretty good for the game the following week.....i.e. for all the positives I think the game is worthwhile. with the clincher being the sponsorship.....I am not sure if it is widely know the that we get a million dollars for it?

Ask the players if it feels like a home game, as Al mentioned Cowboys should not be allowed to participate, too many locals supporting them!

• Do you think we renew the contract after seeing stuff like we saw tonight?

• Nope .

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Parra_Greg commented on CarloEEL2’s status
"Yeah Carlo ......hes off to the Rabbits for sure.....but really is he the messiah for our woes .......not too sure IMHO"
10 minutes ago
KENDOZA commented on CarloEEL2’s status
"South's ain't winning a premiership with that roster walker will be 34 Cook 34 burgess leaving.Hiring Bennett they'll go backwards after he leaves again I just can't see this working for the rabbitohs they have an ageing roster"
10 minutes ago
Seth hardy replied to Frankie Fong's discussion THE TALE OF TWO CLUBS
"Fong I'm only referring to Souths. The eels are a basket case.  "
11 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Wayne to Souths.
"Not long winded concise and to the point if you ask me both your and NoS's responses.
We need a like button SuperEel 22 "
12 minutes ago
More…