Ben Barba

I don't think Hoppa is a NRL quality fullback.Who better to replace a Dally M medallist with than with a Dally M medallist. He isn't wanted at the Broncos and Titans don't seem interested. He would I come fairly cheaply around $350 000 max. He didn't have the best season but Brisbanes game is based around their mobile forward pack and not as much around livewire backs. Ben Barba has the ability to play in the halves, the speed, the elusiveness, the vision and the talent to replace Jarryd Hayne to the extent you can. Losing Jarryd doesn't have to be all negative, he was about to become the highest paid player and maybe the rest of the team will learn you can't rely on one player. Barba is solid in defence at the back. Although inconsistent, I don't think that would be an issue, this year Sandow and Hayne both played their most consistent seasons ever and I'm sure Barba could do the same.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Really? Not an NRL quality fullback. You must not have watched him in 2011
  • No to Barba. He is only good in broken play and shit in defence. I would rather play Hoppa at the back and try for a quality centre and a big forward. Out of all the opition Izzy is the best solution than Stewart or Hoppa at fullback than Hoffman with a top prop for the same coin as Hayne. No way to Barber not an option.

• Not necessarily a bad suggestions. Hayne kind of left us in the lurch, too late to pursue off contract players or players for release etc. The suggestions has merit in the sense the Eels need to recruit, not to replace Hayne (can't happen), but to compensate for halves that either don't organize enough (Sandow) or organize but don't threaten the line and drag defenders in (Norman). Assuming we keep those halves, Barba is one player who would not require Norman to drag the defender in. Recall Barbara excelled when the Dogs' halves played straight and a forward ran decoy to allow Barba's pace to create the overlap.

Without Hayne, we need to think outside the box. We first need players who don't need their half to directly create space for them, because that ain't the strength of our halves.

Not that I am advocating recruit Barba directly. Just that we need to think through the kinds of additions that will suit the halves we have.
  • One hit wonder. I don't want him anywhere near Parra.
  • Fullbacks need to tackle.
    This bloke is terrible defensively
  • I would rather Hoppa than Barba any day of the week. 

I would rather Hoffman to be honest.

• Shocking defender though
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Albert Flipskiss replied to adnan's discussion Gutho to centres
"I'd love to see Talagi on the wing but to float in at fullback in attack similar to how RTS started his career at the roosters when Mini was at the back. Blaize tonight showed he could be the long term fullback but he needs to be eased in to learn…"
6 minutes ago
LB replied to Seraph's discussion BA Presser
"No Moses or Gutho either. Hey i was one who said those injuries are no excuse, but the effort and energy was good and missing a captain as well as Moses adds quite a bit. Had Gutho played and same result maybe a little bit harder on them."
1 hour ago
LB replied to Seraph's discussion BA Presser
"I think it is more so we were in the game for most of the match despite no Moses or Gutho. Plus he seems to be getting some sort of response when last few weeks it seemed it was missing."
1 hour ago
BlacJac replied to Eelvangelist's discussion Eels 2024 Premiers!
"No"
2 hours ago
More…