The Lane Train's Home: A Century With Us

11022928466?profile=RESIZE_710x

I remember watching 6'6'' Shaun Lane's debut for the Dogs, nine years ago in 2015, when he was a spirited 20 year old.

Back then, Brad Arthur was just in his second year into his debut head-coaching role at the Eels.

At the time, I thought to myself this two metre lumberjack has potential; yet another talented forward to come out of the Kennel. Three years before that in 2012, his brother, Brett, debuted on the wing for the Dogs and played just one game. His NRL career ended right there.

11022934857?profile=RESIZE_710x

It wasn't meant to be at the Dogs for Shaun either. After 14 games for them under Des Hasler that included a semi-final appearance, he jumped from club to club. To the Warriors for a single game in the following year in 2016. Then, he spent the next two years at Manly for 33 games.

Three clubs in four years. 

For whatever reasons, including attitude, application, and some off-field issues as well, he seemed to be a nomad and unlikely to reach the potential many saw in him.

Then in 2019 we also took a punt on his potential. Perhaps, he also took a punt on us, following our annus horribilis year of 2018 and the cap dramas that preceded that. The Dark Years. To build something new.

Lane admits that he was a "selfish" player before he arrived at the Eels and bought into the culture. 

He admitted it all started in the off-season Armidale "pact" with this group: to play for each other.

The Eels were creating a new culture after the Dark Years.

2019 marked the change the Eels desperately needed and an influx of change. That year also co-incided with Dylan Brown's and Maiko Sivos debut  to form our lethal left edge with Lane. The return of Junior Paulo in the engine room (with his now fellow bookend power pal Reagan Campbell Gillard coming the following year in 2020). Blake Ferguson who gave us some strike on the right edge. The enigmaatic Waqa Blake. New faces to compliment Gutherson, Moses, Michael Jennings, Nathan Brown and the emerging Mahoney who had been through hell and back in the previous seasons. Matterson is another who came the following year in 2020. 2019 was also Tim Mannah's final year (11 games).

A changing of guard.

It was players like Lane who were part of that "pact" that have caused the change we see now from 2019. With our best winning run and consecutive finals appearances since the six-straight finals years of 1997-2002 during the Brian Smith epoch and the 1980s glory years. 

11022927854?profile=RESIZE_710x

Over the years the Dylan-Lane Train have built up a close relationship both on and off-field: a dynamic duo on the left-edge that have been an important cog in our rise to become a more consistent finals bound team.

Probably, in part because their characters have some commonality; they tend to "go with the flow".

As Arthur noted this week speaking to Channel 9, "Dylan is is very comfortable when Laney's alongside him."

11022935668?profile=RESIZE_710x

When he's on song the Lane Train has a deadly offload creating space all around him for willing Dylbags-like support.

11022936697?profile=RESIZE_710x
He is also a handful close to the line and in the air. 
11022935101?profile=RESIZE_710x
He has became one our senior leaders and an important team member. 
11022938669?profile=RESIZE_710x
He is now one of our star player who has been known to enjoy a party or two. Stuff that may have held him back and distracted him in the past.

2022 probably saw the best of Lane in terms of consistency, week in, week out.

11022938488?profile=RESIZE_710x

Finally, Lane found greater consistency at the Eels, and more focus. Perhaps it's also age. Now 28, the Train has matured and started to realize some of his leadership potential. A man who plays for the team.

11022937094?profile=RESIZE_710x
The Train has also been signed long-term up until 2026 along with other senior forward leaders in Junior, Matterson, and RCG (up to 2025) along with Dylan Brown his partner in crime.
11022941480?profile=RESIZE_710x
It's not just Dylan who has missed him, but we have missed him in the first five weeks. Perhaps, fans didn't even realize how much. Either way, we need him to be the weapon he can be out on the left edge and in the middle.

Finally, the Lane Train that wandered about for years found a home with the Eels and on this Easter Monday against the Tigers he plays his 100th game for us.

Surely, this is an added motivation for the boys to get our season back on track. Not just for the Train but for each other.

And assuming he stays fit, in round eight against the Broncos at TIO Stadium in Darwin he will play his 150th NRL game after after almost a decade in the top grade.

The Train has travelled a long way, across continents, to find his spiritual home but the story isn't over yet by a long shot.

11022938258?profile=RESIZE_710x

He's back...

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Love it.

that BA interview was great, he has developed a lot himself. 

bravo

• We've missed the attention he draws away from Dylan and the space he consequently crates outside him. His gravity is enormous. Let's hope he gets into stride quickly. 

• He is one of my favourite players. 

I hope he isn't gun shy and gets back to his best quickly.

•  11023059097?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Great write up & appreciation blog for the big fella, HOE.

Still remember that debut for the Dogs also where he looked a star in the making. Been a longer road for him but his prelim final last year was about as good an edge forwards performance I've seen.

Very underrated player.

Just really hoping the that jaw injury hasn't impacted him too bad mentally.

Good motivation for the players to show how important he is to them tomorrow.

• Thanks NOS. You'll love the Lane videos that have been uploaded on the Parra Eels site in the last hour or so. Good stuff, mate.

Celebrating Shaun Lane's Eels century
      The Eels celebrate as Shaun Lane reaches 100 NRL appearances for the club.
      • Sensational videos, how good to see the jersey means so much to him.

Thanks for sharing HOE / Mutt / LB. As Muttman said, we need more of it.

Eels by 70 

• This reply was deleted.
          • 100%. Superhuman effort from a player his size in those conditions.

We don't play a grand final without him, which is pretty exceptional from an edge forward. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Mannah-Brow replied to SuperEel 22's discussion Parramatta's Season Balances On A Razor's Edge
"Our season is already done there is no razors edge. If we miss out on Bennett then Michael Chickha would be my choice. Moses spoke very highly of him following his stint with Lebanon. "
16 minutes ago
Tad replied to SuperEel 22's discussion Parramatta's Season Balances On A Razor's Edge
"I don't think as a coach I would want to stick around if I had players,fans, scoreboards and club lose confidence in me for the rest of the season. Much the same as continuing with Jake which would have destroyed him. A reality check is something BA…"
17 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Get out clauses attached to BA
""
21 minutes ago
Axel replied to Inside Info's discussion Who is D.Brown referring to
"Mate I had a look at that vision and it doesn't look like you described it. "
26 minutes ago
More…