The three of you are justified in those comments, (Bear, Trent and TT) but underneath that shallowness there some good points as Holbrook has a history with us and as Wiz will tell you, he always had the makings of a good coach. In saying that I would have rated him no differently if he "bowed" out yesterday with this side, I would still regard him highly.
I believe the Knights have "buckleys" in beating the Roosters next week, so the fairy tale will end, just like BA....but Holbrook is a lot smarter than BA, good soldier that he was!
They were supposed to lose to Souths , Sheep Stalkers and the Panthers , and even I predicted at least one of them to knock them out , most notibly Penrith as I feared Newcastle may have played their GF beating NZ . Out of all the teams in the lead up , it's the Roosters I was always the most sure they could beat if they came up agjnst them. They keep getting up another level each game. If they step it up again , Roosters are no chance.
Justin is a smarter coach than Robbo. He will have a way to contain Mark Nquaneyebsgwtdnenehsgsebebshshsebbsushavsgq .
Don't for get Holbrooks worked in the inner sanctum with the Roosters squad and watched and selected many of their players as they came through the grades and as NRL players , not the other way around. Justin's job has been to identify talent and attributes in their squad, he would know shit their players don't know about their own games. As long as they're rested and not blown out from yesterday , they'll be right.
LB > Wizard “Alcatraz “SleeveSeptember 28, 2026 at 10:28am
I feel Roosters have gone into GF reletively unscathed, save for Watson. Walker was injured before finals. Newcastle have had back to back tough weeks. I just wonder if that was their actual GF? Plus Crossland is a loss, like Kenny for Penrith.
They are tough, wont go away, but i see Roosters winning it.
Realistically, our roster is nowhere near as good as the Knights. There's only so much a coach can do!
Ponga, Best, Gagai, Marzhew and Young is an elite back 5 compared to ours. A strong back 5 is more important than ever in today's game.
Their back rowers are class too and they've got an absolute workhorse at 9. They have a team where with a bit of luck, can win the comp.
Can't blame Ryles for this rubbish roster that we have. If anything, it's Ryles stupidity that signed up for this gig knowing what a shitshow our roster is.
Longfin Eel > Parraborn1September 28, 2026 at 10:05am
Agreed on that, we are a long way off the pace. The team have shown what they are capable of with some good wins this year, but that unfortunately was balanced by some really dredful games. Ryles obviously saw something he could work with, but he's been visibly frustrated by the lack of talent the club has been able to attract. Perhaps he signed up thinking the club would go on a spending spree to set the club up for success. If that's the case, the lack of movement here is on the CEO for not backing his coach.
Parraborn1 > Longfin EelSeptember 28, 2026 at 10:08am
I don't blame Ryles for seeing the potential though. We as a club have EVERYTHING set up for us to succeed. Junior pathway system, world class training facility, the luxury of having full-time coaches at all levels from Matts to NSW Cup.
It's just those in power that seem to be letting the club down, and a poor recruitment and retention strategy.
Who's roster is it mate ? I agree our R&R are retarded and Ryles would be going better with a better squad , but this roster has Ryles hands all over it as much as anyone's , it's certainly not Brad Arthur's roster anymore .
The Captain > Wizard “Alcatraz “SleeveSeptember 28, 2026 at 10:21am
Totally agree Wiz, we can't be like the government and blame "the last guys" for years on end.
Mate this place has only just stopped blaming Brian Smith. It'll be BAs fault until at least 2035 .
Ryles could get spoons until 2030 and it won't be his fault a he's cleaning up Bad Brads nepotism.
Parraborn1 > Wizard “Alcatraz “SleeveSeptember 28, 2026 at 11:25am
It's definitely not BA's roster anymore. I'm not aware of what happens behind closed doors, but i don't believe Ryles is solely responsible for this roster. I'm sure Ryles wanted Dylan to stay and I'm sure Ryles has wanted to sign a long list of players that didn't eventuate.
My point was that the roster isn't built for success.
"💯 you can't say that round here cap as alot think coaches past and present have had everything they need when in all essence we are miles away.
Like you say it's no secret but you need some championship dna near the top of your tree and who do we…"
"Yeah Koina is the one who played Reggie's late in the year, but he wasn't injured for most of the year. Went from SG Ball to Flegg then Cup pretty quickly and got hurt for final 3 games.
What i mean by athletic for his size is he moves well for his…"
"Some are mentioning it this team is Ryles' or still the legacy of BA and thus worth noting that from that BA team when he was sacked (May 2024), the Eels under Ryles 2025-26 retain:
- Backs: Penisini, Simmonson & Moses
- Forwards: Paulo, Hopgoode &…"
Replies
The three of you are justified in those comments, (Bear, Trent and TT) but underneath that shallowness there some good points as Holbrook has a history with us and as Wiz will tell you, he always had the makings of a good coach. In saying that I would have rated him no differently if he "bowed" out yesterday with this side, I would still regard him highly.
I believe the Knights have "buckleys" in beating the Roosters next week, so the fairy tale will end, just like BA....but Holbrook is a lot smarter than BA, good soldier that he was!
They were supposed to lose to Souths , Sheep Stalkers and the Panthers , and even I predicted at least one of them to knock them out , most notibly Penrith as I feared Newcastle may have played their GF beating NZ . Out of all the teams in the lead up , it's the Roosters I was always the most sure they could beat if they came up agjnst them. They keep getting up another level each game. If they step it up again , Roosters are no chance.
Justin is a smarter coach than Robbo. He will have a way to contain Mark Nquaneyebsgwtdnenehsgsebebshshsebbsushavsgq .
Don't for get Holbrooks worked in the inner sanctum with the Roosters squad and watched and selected many of their players as they came through the grades and as NRL players , not the other way around. Justin's job has been to identify talent and attributes in their squad, he would know shit their players don't know about their own games. As long as they're rested and not blown out from yesterday , they'll be right.
I feel Roosters have gone into GF reletively unscathed, save for Watson. Walker was injured before finals. Newcastle have had back to back tough weeks. I just wonder if that was their actual GF? Plus Crossland is a loss, like Kenny for Penrith.
They are tough, wont go away, but i see Roosters winning it.
Realistically, our roster is nowhere near as good as the Knights. There's only so much a coach can do!
Ponga, Best, Gagai, Marzhew and Young is an elite back 5 compared to ours. A strong back 5 is more important than ever in today's game.
Their back rowers are class too and they've got an absolute workhorse at 9. They have a team where with a bit of luck, can win the comp.
Can't blame Ryles for this rubbish roster that we have. If anything, it's Ryles stupidity that signed up for this gig knowing what a shitshow our roster is.
Agreed on that, we are a long way off the pace. The team have shown what they are capable of with some good wins this year, but that unfortunately was balanced by some really dredful games. Ryles obviously saw something he could work with, but he's been visibly frustrated by the lack of talent the club has been able to attract. Perhaps he signed up thinking the club would go on a spending spree to set the club up for success. If that's the case, the lack of movement here is on the CEO for not backing his coach.
I don't blame Ryles for seeing the potential though. We as a club have EVERYTHING set up for us to succeed. Junior pathway system, world class training facility, the luxury of having full-time coaches at all levels from Matts to NSW Cup.
It's just those in power that seem to be letting the club down, and a poor recruitment and retention strategy.
Who's roster is it mate ? I agree our R&R are retarded and Ryles would be going better with a better squad , but this roster has Ryles hands all over it as much as anyone's , it's certainly not Brad Arthur's roster anymore .
Totally agree Wiz, we can't be like the government and blame "the last guys" for years on end.
This is Jims, MONs and Ryles squad.
Mate this place has only just stopped blaming Brian Smith. It'll be BAs fault until at least 2035 .
Ryles could get spoons until 2030 and it won't be his fault a he's cleaning up Bad Brads nepotism.
It's definitely not BA's roster anymore. I'm not aware of what happens behind closed doors, but i don't believe Ryles is solely responsible for this roster. I'm sure Ryles wanted Dylan to stay and I'm sure Ryles has wanted to sign a long list of players that didn't eventuate.
My point was that the roster isn't built for success.
-
1
-
2
-
3
-
4
of 4 Next