Reserves:

18. Oregon Kaufusi

19. Blake Ferguson

20. Bryce Cartwright

21. Jakob Arthur

IN: Sean Russell, Keegan Hipgrave, Nathaniel Roache

OUT: Maika Sivo, Oregon Kaufusi, Bryce Cartwright

Referee: Matt Cecchin

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• same idiots were calling me the same names when i criticised Jakob's selection.. then we went on to concede almost half our seasons points in the 3 games he played.

I have nothing against Sean . He may develop throughout the next years and be in line to become a first grader. He is not there now and we bought Oldfield and have Ferguson there who although well past it , has out performed Russell the last 2 weeks .

Its a weird selection , and I have doubts he'd be getting a run this early if he wasn't a Rouse Hill Rhino with a certain other Rouse Hill Rhino . 

How many of you who watched Jakob Arthur thought he was anywhere near NRL level , esp defensively ?

• Rouse Hill Rhinos "Boys club"

JA

Russell

Penisini

Just waiting for MA to get contracted.

• He was definitely close to NRL level. His tackle effectiveness certainly was. Don't forget that wasn't the first time our right edge had been carved up when we didn't work hard enough in the middle.

And in attack he scored a couple and set a couple up with kicks. I was surprised he got picked in the first place but he did well for a backup.

• Ive read your analysis before and usually don't mind it but i cant agree with that.

1 on 1 he was always going to struggle especially getting isolated against bigger players and that was to be expected. Fergo was also making the wrong decision on that edge time after time. 

My problem with Jakob was his abiity to read shape. His timing on the slide was off.. he often held way too long and ended up 2 on 1 on the inside backrowers man. This was forcing the centre in (both Waqa and Opacic) and they were leaving the sweep man. Aside from that neither centre that played with him had any confidence in him making 1 on 1 tackles. Maybe these are all things that can be developed. But i'd argue that after only playihng school boy footy all of last year , and a handful of Cup games this year... he wasn't our best option. No, he wasnt the sole problem on the edge (the other is well out of favour) but he wasn't ready to play NRL and our F/A copped a pasting the weeks he was in the team. He does have good vision on his short kicking game though.

• Yeah he definitely needs to make some adjustments (he defended too close to Matterson) and his outside defenders were preoccupied with protecting him (a trust issue) but his individual defence was actually pretty good. He wasn't overpowered any more than any other halfback. He defended better than Sam Walker.

• The Roosters changed the spacing in their entire defensive structure to accomodate Walker. I'd need to see stats proving it but he makes most of his tackles a lot wider than what Keary did which makes him hard to get at 1 on 1.

BA just plugged his son straight into the DB role and he was way off being ready for it. Besides that Sam Walker offers signifcantly more in attack and with their injuries is being given first grade development a year early with an eye to the future.

All being equal Jakob's future here isn't in the 6 or 7. I think his best path to first grade would be filling out whilst devleoping his skills playing halves in the lower grades.. and trying to make it as a backrower.  As Joey has said, and as is evident watching him... he doesnt have natural half skills. An example is his kicking.. it doesnt look natural and takes the split second longer than whats needed. He hasa frame to grow into, a ballplaying 13 as the game changes might be his go.

Either way, playing him as a 6 in first grade at this stage of the year hurt our side for the 3 weeks he was there. 

• It doesn't matter where they're running . It's about your own teams performance in games like this . Making sure they're switched on and treat the opposition with respect . 

• What makes you think he is not fast. My information is that he is one of the fastest in the club.

The other thing to remember about these kids coming through is that they did not play last season due to Covid.

Players like Russell and Penisini are beginning to catch up on there lost development time and beginning to shine 

Penisini has carried the ball an average of 200 metres a game over his last three games. He is also scoring tries and making plenty of tackles for few misses. He will likely be the next to make his debut. 

Is he best mates with JA?

• Russell is quick, there's no question of that.

• WILL PENISINI - PARRAMATTA EELS

The highly-touted youngster has been close to an NRL debut a few times this season, including a game as 18th man under Brad Arthur.

But he won't be staying in reserve grade for much longer if he continues to churn out games like he did over the weekend against the Magpies. 

Playing in the centres, Penisini crossed for the opening try in the 28-26 nail-biter, as well as running for a game-high 224 metres and producing two linebreaks and five tackle breaks.

Still only 18 years of age, the local product upgraded and extended his contract earlier in the year, and Parramatta are looking at him as the future of the club in the centres. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Frank The Tank replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"Losing cures the scenario we are in - winning will just paper over the cracks.
No arguing we need a clean out at the top. MON and a few others need to go as well, but the best chance of that happening is if we get rid of the coach first and then…"
7 minutes ago
Longfin Eel replied to Muttman's discussion Souths Anzac Jersey
"I thought it was North Queensland. "
12 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Muttman's discussion Souths Anzac Jersey
""
15 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Muttman's discussion Souths Anzac Jersey
"I am getting unlimited joy watching that white Aboriginal from Canberra getting pumped playing for Souths . How embarrassing considering the media circus surrounding him wanting to move to win a premiership.  What a loser . "
18 minutes ago
More…