Tony Williams could earn a new contract with Parramatta despite second serious knee injury

EELS
Eels coach Brad Arthur believes Tony Williams deserves to be considered for a new contract. Photo: Jenny Evans Eels coach Brad Arthur believes Tony Williams deserves to be considered for a new contract. Photo: Jenny EvansSource: News Corp Australia

PARRAMATTA have expressed their desire to retain often-maligned big man Tony Williams.

Williams faces an uncertain NRL future after suffering a season-ending ACL rupture in last Sunday’s win over the Wests Tigers, his second in as many seasons.

At 29, it’s been touted that the off-contract former NSW and Australian forward would be forced to see out the end of his career in the English Super League.

While a lot will depend on Williams’ rehabilitation, coach Brad Arthur indicated a willingness to extend his contract.

Turning point of Eels season

Turning point of Eels season


“It’s early days but everything he’s done has indicated to us that he’s someone that we want to try and keep for next year,” Arthur said.

“We’ll have to wait and see where that gets to. He trained really hard and I’m sure he’ll train hard to get himself back.

“Hopefully he’ll be right to do a full pre-season and then we’ll go from there.”

With his career seemingly hanging in the balance, Williams himself has told PlayersVoice of his intention to play on, drawing inspiration from his family and need to provide for them.

Crediting the Eels medical staff for the overtime they put in to not only help his injury rehabilitation but meet Arthur’s strict weight requirements, Williams said he will do everything in his power to continue his career at Parramatta.

Tony Williams charges into the Wests Tigers defence in what will prove to be his final game of the 2018 season. Photo: Brendan EspositoTony Williams charges into the Wests Tigers defence in what will prove to be his final game of the 2018 season. Photo: Brendan EspositoSource: AAP

“I wake up every morning, look at my partner and kids and know I have to play again,” Williams told PlayersVoice.

“The thought of providing for them will get me through this.

“Another knee reconstruction, another season lost. It’s frustrating and depressing. I have only managed six NRL games in the past two seasons. But I know I have to keep going, to keep on playing for my family.

“Playing football is what I do. It helps me be the best partner I can be to Seda Faith and the best father to my son Tremaine and my daughters, Tayana and Teleah, who are 18 months and eight months old respectively.

Titans CEO Graham Annesley joins the Market Watch team to discuss the Titans roster. Plus, who should be playing fullback for the Cowboys and Kiwis coaching options.

“Football puts food on our table, pays our bills and prepares us for the future.

“Some guys in the media have all but said my career is over.

“They think that because I’m 29 years old and about to undergo my second knee reconstruction in as many years, I’m done.

“But in my mind I know that’s not the case.

“I aim to keep playing for three or four years minimum.

“I just need to get my body right and have the opportunity.

“I poured everything into getting it right this season.

Tony Williams is helped from the field after rupturing his ACL while playing for Tonga last year. Photo: Mark EvansTony Williams is helped from the field after rupturing his ACL while playing for Tonga last year. Photo: Mark EvansSource: News Corp Australia

“This was going to be to be the year I came back and showed the type of form people know I can produce. I just got unlucky.

“We haven’t spoken about contracts but I’m hoping that I do get another opportunity with Parra.

“At this moment, I just want to have successful surgery, get stuck into the rehab and get ready for the 2019 pre-season.

“I’m very lucky to have Brad Arthur as my coach. He believes in me and what I can do.

“There’s no doubt he took a bit of a risk in signing me given my recent injury history and I am still confident I can repay him for that.”

Williams has played 170 NRL games over 11 seasons, including Manly’s 2011 grand final win and Canterbury’s 2014 season-decider defeat.

He also made three appearances for NSW from 2012-14 and earned five Test caps each for Australia and Tonga.

The ex-Manly, Canterbury and Cronulla back-rower went to the Eels on a one-year deal hoping to repair his reputation after years of underachievement.

Asked if it would be fitting for Williams to finish the job he set out to do, Arthur said: “Yeah, it would be.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

  • Liked what he did this year but cards stacking against him now. No unfortunately but having said that he could be handy cheap but still
  • As BA said hopefully he does a pre-season and go fro there. TRex deserves another yr imo. Sad time for TRex and hopefully he can be back. Did well in those matches for us.

  • He'll be on the minimum wage so there's not too much risk involved.
    • This reply was deleted.
      • Mack, I hear you but, thing to consider is that Trex is actually a local eels junior.  If he can get the knee fixed early and have a good rehab time, followed by a preseason, no reason why he should not be given another year at least, maybe year by year.

        He will be 30 next year so could play at least 2, maybe 3 more seasons. He has proved he is up to it so far, and having him in the team and as a local junior can also help inspire other local juniors to lift and play for the club.

    • Mack take two panadols and have a lie down. You're totally out of your depth here. A minimum waged old head or two aren't  going to upset the apple cart.

      A Vave on 300k or a Beu 450 + who aren't good enough to start are problems mack. Wake up mack

      You're out of your depth, it's as simple as that mack.

      • Chief are you getting paid $1 for every time you type "Mack" ?

      • Sadly vave and beau are on more then that 

    • Mack is a dribbler and out of his depth. He makes no sense. 

      He ranks #1 on the 1ee dribblers chart rankings. 

  • I was sincerely pleased with Williams form this season and would have been happy for the Eels to sign him for another two years. With this injury and it being the second time, if he is offered another contract it should be one year and no more. Hopefully he can get right for next season and maybe another after that but its more unlikely than likely.
  • No risk signing him with scott leaving hed take his spot as a older player if he gets on the field great if not no big loss
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

KENDOZA replied to Cʜɪᴇғy Mclovin 🐐's discussion Teancum Brown pushing his case for R1
"Love how ryles is giving the young ones a crack"
1 hour ago
LB replied to Johnny Suede's discussion Lomax legal promise could create salary-cap headache for Storm
"They have never been in a position of not getting what they want. They said when first started Ryles should just tell the board to let him go as they let him go, despite not letting him touch Storm players for 12 months, they also said the Sydney…"
5 hours ago
LB replied to Johnny Suede's discussion Lomax legal promise could create salary-cap headache for Storm
"Yeah they have backs but also how often do they get Origin talent?"
5 hours ago
Troy Wade replied to Johnny Suede's discussion Lomax legal promise could create salary-cap headache for Storm
"I'm sick of all the attention this bloke is getting. Go play bush footy for 3 years. End of story. You made your bed - now sleep on it..The NRL and the Storm can well and truely go get f....."
6 hours ago
More…