Parramatta Eels 2019 Mid-Season Review

Ladder Position: 8

Wins: 7

Losses: 7

Byes: 0

Overall mark: C+

The Eels came into the season following a dreadful 2018 that saw them run dead last, leaving head coach Brad Arthur's future under a cloud.

Parramatta quickly set about quashing memories of last year, winning their first two games of the season and putting up a big fight against defending premiers the Sydney Roosters in round three.

Following their round four win over Cronulla, the team then ended up on a Win/Loss streak before being embarrassed by Canberra, Melbourne and Newcastle. 

Sprinkled in there were strong wins over the Tigers and the Dragons at the new Parramatta Stadium, while there was also a poor performance at home to Penrith and away at Cronulla.

In their final game before the representative break, the Eels put Brisbane to the sword at home.

Parramatta have 10 games remaining in the season and sit on the same points they did at this time in 2017 with their strong final six weeks landing them in the top four.

Can the Eels make the final?

Mathematically? Absolutely. 28 points is the accepted cut-off for the top eight. Six wins from 10 games plus the bye will see the Eels finish on 28 points. To be assured of a spot though it's likely they'll require 30 points instead of relying on for and against.

Parramatta actually have a fairly even run home with the only match against a genuine top four side being in round 15 against Canberra in Darwin, at a venue where the Eels have lost just one game of their last five.

In the following weeks they have:

R16: Bye

R17: Tigers @ Bankwest

R18: Manly @ Lottoland

R19: Warriors @ Bankwest

R20: Dragons @ Jubilee

R21: Knights @ Bankwest

R22: Titans @ Cbus

R23: Bulldogs @ Bankwest

R24: Brisbane @ Suncorp

R25: Manly @ Bankwest

For Parramatta, five of those games are at their brand new ground, even if they are supposedly away to the Tigers. Two of their games will also be against spoon bowl contenders the Bulldogs and the Titans, while also facing the hot and cold Warriors and a Brisbane side they've already belted by 28 points.

Of those upcoming teams, only three, Newcastle, Manly and Canberra are above Parramatta on the ladder. Their match against the Tigers could actually be a large indicator on their ability to make the finals given the two sides are currently locked on 14 points with the Tigers having already had their bye.

The Eels are also welcoming back some key squad members following long term injuries. Nathan Brown returned in their round 13 match against Cronulla following a pec tear in their round one match. Rookie half Dylan Brown will also reportedly return to action against Canberra following his lower back injury that was picked up following round three.

The major concern for the Eels has been their inability to turn up for away games this season and a seemingly soft middle. There is the possibility the return of Nathan Brown that the middle is tightened up, which was noticed against a Brisbane pack that featured Matt Lodge and Payne Haas. 

Halfback Mitchell Moses has also come under fire this season for being unable to direct the side around. The return of Dylan Brown could go some way to solving that issue. In his limited game time this season he's shown a calm head with the ability to make the right decision at the right time.

Parramatta's season so far is not worthy of a top four position, but given where they're sitting at the moment top eight should be the goal for the squad.

A top eight finish will see the Eels in the finals for the second time in three years, second time in the tenure of Brad Arthur and just the third time in the past decade.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Agreed on the grade.

Parramatta has shown themselves to be a talented student, however they lack focus and attention to detail at times. This is holding them back from moving to near the top of the class. Parramatta needs to believe in their natural abilities and maintain more focus in all subjects, which should see them move towards a B+ and A at the year end report.

• Lol Longfin . But let’s hope the other student teams do not all get A grades as well .

• What a load of garbage

• Looks an easier run home than the first half of the season.

We can make the 8 but still fear the belting that we get playing good sides.

• Get a good forward and waqa mid season and I’d consider us for the comp. don’t see anything good about any of the other teams other than the storm and we can beat them with time. 

• Don’t let Fongy read that. He will cry and chuck a tantrum at the fact you didn’t mention the roosters lol 

• The roosters are tired haha I don’t think they’re there for it but could be completely wrong 

• Pork, Nothing unusual for you to be completely wrong

• Lurker I'm off to the children's Hospital tomorrow for a charity event why don't you do something for me . Post a detailed blog about your life so I can  screenshot it and print it out and hand them out to the kids so they can have a laugh  , laughter is the best medicine they say and your  story could do wonders. 

• Loooool whatever floats your boat champ. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

RustyNuts replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Personally I don't think gaining Lomax would cost us Talagi. He had a great 1st game and could possibly be better than Lomax when he gets going. He could move to the wing for some time to develop then move to the centres later. If he becomes better…"
32 minutes ago
Slippery. replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make

I totally agree with your comments regarding the importance and benefits regarding local juniors at discounted rates, however,  this is only a factor with their 1st contract if they show promise.  Once a player starts showing they have regular…"
41 minutes ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Nah Tago is a centre who may later transition into the backrow. I believe Turuva will leave the club which is fair enough. I think May will move back to the wing and the Mclean brothers will start making their way into FG. Panthers have Laurie and…"
42 minutes ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We definitely need Lomax more than we need Grieg. Plus I back BA to develop gun forwards if we need to. We already have amazing forwards coming through our Matt, SG and Flegg team."
48 minutes ago
More…