Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter

Cameron Smith has floated the introduction of salary cap exemption for "one-club, 300-gamers" to encourage loyalty in an increasingly ruthless NRL market.

Smith is one of just 15 men in the game's history to crack 300 appearances in the same club colours, and wants to see greater allowances made for some of the game's longest and most loyal servants.

Current NRL rules provide for a $200,000 veteran and developed players allowance per club, which breaks down to just 2.2% of each club's $9.1 million salary cap.

Smith has first-hand experience of the wrangles clubs can face with veteran stalwarts, having negotiated a two-year extension with the Storm over several months last year.

Salary cap pressure at the club has resulted in Sam Kasiano joining Super League's Catalans, but Smith's proposal to reward clubs that develop and retain a 300-gamer with a salary cap exemption could ease such complications.

"To see one club players, to see 300-gamers, It's great for our fans," Smith said.

"It's great for our clubs, it's great for the game. Why not reward those organisations that can achieve that with certain players?"

Asked what amount of exemption he would like to see, the former Australian and Queensland captain suggested a portion of a players' salary starting at a base of 50%.

"It would have to be a percentage wouldn't it? Is it 50%, is it 75%?" Smith said.

"I'm not sure, even if you develop a player and you play 300 matches for the one club, is he exempt from your cap?

"I don't think that's unreasonable given I see that, particularly at a time like now, I see that as a positive story for our game.:

Such an exemption would give a sizeable, six-figure cap advantage to any team boasting a one-club triple centurion.

If Smith's own estimated $1 million pay packet was halved the Storm would have an extra $500,000 to spend, not to mention the unprecedented scenario in which he, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk were at the one club with a triple century under their respective belts.

But to balance that scenario, none of the five players in touching distance of the 300-game mark this year – Darius Boyd (292 appearances), Adam Blair, Benji Marshall (both 289), Gavin Cooper (284) and Robbie Farah (282) – would be eligible under Smith's proposal as they have all played for more than one NRL outfit.

Of the game's recent 300-gamers, Smith, Slater, Paul Gallen, Sam Thaiday, Simon Mannering and John Sutton reached the tally playing for one club.

The Rabbitohs and Sutton also navigated uncertainty around his 2019 contract last year as the club balanced an improving roster with retaining a club icon.

For Smith, that is the crux of his proposal, with Wests Tigers veteran Chris Lawrence tossed up as the type of player any loyalty relief should target.

The 30-year-old has racked up 227 games since graduating to first grade as a Campbelltown junior, weathering all manner of controversies at the club along the way.

A severe facial fracture suffered during last week's trial loss to the Warriors threatens to sideline him for up to four months in a year when he is off contract, raising the possibility of the Tigers' favourite son being forced elsewhere.

"Chris Lawrence - perfect example," Smith said.

"[The prospect of him being squeezed out of the Tigers] that's sad I think. Whether he's forced out of the club and has to play somewhere else or you send the bloke overseas, out of our game entirely.

"We should be trying to retain our players in the game and for guys that have played so many seasons for the one club, let's try and help that guy achieve his goal of being a one-club player."

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's certainly open for discussion and isn't a completely ridiculous suggestion. However what happens if that player gets a career ending injury game one and the club needs cap relief to fill that top 30 spot? What if the next player in pushes them over? What then? Is that unfair? I dunno about this idea. I guess, sometimes, it just sucks players have to move on. It's a professional sport now.

• This reply was deleted.
      • Tend to agree Wongy - i think most of Smith's public pronouncements about the NRL are driven by naked self-interest. But what do you expect in a professional era where individuals are supposed to put themselves first, secobd and third...

• I'm actually with him on this. I think who gets hurt the most when these blokes are prematurely sent overseas to finish their careers is the young players who would have benefitted from having those blokes around them. As players get into their thirties, a lot of them move to the fringe of your roster and I think having those players stay in the NRL also lifts the overall quality of your game.

I think David Gower has been great for us in that regard. He's really filled a role as a mentor for the younger players and juggled his role with part-time welfare work, but he's also been a more than capable fill-in when we've had injuries.

• I think it's a ridiculous idea.

On the one hand players say that the game is professional and that they have to make hay while the sun shines, while on the other they are saying that the game should be more like an amateur sport where rules and guidelines should be bent for the sake of a few. Absolute stupidity. We're meant to have a salary cap and an even playing field - this would make a mockery of both. 

In the modern game it would only really apply to (former) elite level footballers who have been able to stay at one club (and earn many millions of dollars) simply through their ability - not because of some imaginary loyalty. It's easy to stay loyal when the club is prepared to constantly pay you top dollar to hang around. Players like Dave Gower would never get an opportunity to benefit from a rule like this - and the toiling journeymen are probably more deserved than fat cats like C(unt)ameron Smith.

He pulls Chris Lawrence out of his arse - what a joke - give us a full list if you want to make an arguement you idiot (the list would be very short and of course the Storm would be the big benefactors).

Shut the fuck up Cameron Smith - just retire already and leave us all in peace. 

• Smith only had himself in mind when he made this call. It is no different to when he convinced Greenberg to agree to the testimonial match in Brisbane.

Leveraged the Tedtimonial match against his signature on the new bargaining agreement. At the end of the 2018 GF put his club on notice he wanted 2 year extension on better money. This was to the detriment of his team mates.

He wants this change to benefit himself. Could not care less about other 300 game players such as Lawrence.

• We could get relief on Timmy mannah, snale would be happy as. 

• All he ever talks about is what benefits him. Self absorbed dick, whenever he opens his mouth, it's all about him. 

• Who you fellow Robot  Eels or Storm

• Eels mate, just trying to show the bullshit Storm come up with, they think they run NRL and sometimes i think they are lol

• Shut up Smith you selfish prick, if anyone deserved a career threatening injury it is him.  Him and his Butt Buddy Slater are two of the biggest protected species to ever play the game.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Inside Info replied to The Captain's discussion The Parramatta Eels have learned nothing from last season
"Apart from maybe Hopgood, we dont have players that week to week can depend on to win games. They all go missing crucial times in games.
Discipline is appalling
fitness is not close to most other teams
defensive structure is laughable
We are a club…"
1 hour ago
Hell On Eels replied to The Captain's discussion The Parramatta Eels have learned nothing from last season
"Captain, I was just reading the same article about an hour or so ago and was tempted to post it as well. Talk about Synchronicity. Scary, scary cold hard stats.
There's another great article from the same mob on age metrics for different…"
1 hour ago
Bob Smith replied to The Captain's discussion The Parramatta Eels have learned nothing from last season
" Depressing article. We could get the spoon for the next few seasons. "
1 hour ago
Steel be with you replied to The Captain's discussion The Parramatta Eels have learned nothing from last season
"I watch the Fergo and Freak podcast on Youtube. League Freak has said on numerous occasions that Parramatta made the mistake of investing heavily on players who have achieved nothing or haven't gotten the job done before e.g. Moses, Gutherson, RCG,…"
1 hour ago
More…