New side enters the race for Trent Barrett

The former Canterbury mentor will have options ahead of 2023.

The former coach has been out of work for three months since his departure from Canterbury, however a local rival looks set to swoop on Barrett as an assistant coach - the Parramatta Eels.

White still sitting firmly in the top eight, things have gotten rocky at times for Parramatta in 2022, losing a stack of talent ahead of next season while numerous other head coaches have been linked to the club, applying pressure to incumbent coach Brad Arthur.

Both Cameron Ciraldo and Michael Maguire were reported to have spoken to the club over the last six weeks.

Linked heavily with a return to the Dragons as Anthony Griffin's assistant, the Eels have identified Barrett as a quality right-hand man for Arthur, and he certainly has the track record to boot.

Despite his poor head coaching statistics, Barrett does have some favourable stints as an assistant, most notably his recent time spent at Penrith before joining the Bulldogs.

Channel Nine's 'The Mole' reports that chats have already gotten underway for Barrett to link up with Parramatta in 2023.

Having won just two finals games in nine years as the Eels' head coach, it appears the blowtorch is well and truly finally on Arthur after a succession of underperforming seasons or soft exits in the post-season.

Whether he accepts the role or not, it seems Trent Barrett will certainly be employed by an NRL club ahead of the 2023 season.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• why go all the way to Montreal? being the arrogant prick that I am I would prefer to entertain the moron misfits and their band!

10776913085?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Sorry but coaching under 12's doesn't mean much. Also having involvement in the game doesnt automatically make you any good. Plenty of trash coaches, maters, CEO's around the game.

• This reply was deleted.
              • It actually doesn't give one any head start. Sry to burst your ego. Only thing it gives a head start is for training drills for stamina. If anything it probably gives a negative start thinking you are right when in fact you are probably wrong. Any sort of footy IQ very similar to player talent is you either have it or you don't. So many shit coaches, players , politicians, lawyers etc creep through the ranks it's not funny.

• Happy for TB to be assistant

my problem is with the head coach

• I wouldn't be hiring an assistant with credentials to take BAs job if I'm making the break I'm doing it clean new ideas new everything including assistants.

• I'm not against the idea. But when ever I think of Barrett for some reason I still always think about his over reaction to pj marsh.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-07-12/barrett-marsh-plead-guilty-w...

Barrett, Marsh plead guilty while Anasta joins Roosters
    St George Illawarra captain Trent Barrett and Parramatta's PJ Marsh have both entered early guilty pleas after an incident between the pair last Frid…
  • Barret as an assistant would be fine. He's footy IQ is far far great than the Brad the bush man Arthur. Clearly Barret has deficiencies in that head coaching role. Only concern is he's coming off a rough sacking so will it affect his coaching.

• Anyone know what sort of money assistant coaches are on?

• I find it hilarious that BA is/was supposed to be a gear defensive coach. That was one his greatest skills supposedly. Was that some sort of bad joke. He's absolutely clueless. Seems like we need about 8 assistant cosch fir BA. One to offense, One for Defense. One for team selections, one for game day, one for rotations during the game. And the rest

• I remember last year Sterlo schooling BA on using the sideline as an additional defender. 8 years and still couldn't figure that out. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Frankie Fong replied to Yeah Man's discussion What Preist stabbed in Sydney
"Don't be racist Wiz , you know people from third world countries always get a free pass in this country , the less you do for this country the better you are treated. 
Won't be long before the Aussie flag is banned in public because it might…"
6 minutes ago
Muttman replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 7 Team List v Dolphins
"Despite all the Dolphins injuries that's still a better team than I thought they'd put together. "
6 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Yeah Man's discussion What Preist stabbed in Sydney
"I'd say the Bondi one could still very well be an act of terrorisim . We haven't heard his motives as yet. But the answer lies in the actual definition of terrorisim. It's not a race thing , it's a motivations thing. Hence why Muslims are usually…"
10 minutes ago
BEM replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 7 Team List v Dolphins
"What is BA playing at having Talagi on the bench instead of another forward?"
15 minutes ago
More…