Jarryd Hayne- Trial Commences this week

As per the heading Jarryd Haynes trial commences this week.  Great image for the NRL with De Belins trial currently going on for sexual assault related offences and now Jarryd Haynes for similar.  Anyway, reading the article, it appears that he has returned from his Christian Mission in Perth and has been training with current and former members of the Eels squad in Sydney and still has hopes of returning the the NRL. I make no comment in relation to the charges, trial or allegations for obvious reasons and would ask people to do the same. ( Super if that cannot be controlled or exposes the site then comfortable with and decision you make).

If he is guilty of the offences he has been charged with, then I hope he gets what he deserves.  Likewise, if he is inncocent, I hope he gets the outcome he deserves in that regard.   If found guilty, it is career over in my opinion.

If however he is acquitted, who thinks at age 32 any NRL Club would offer him a final crack? Would anyone want him back at the Eels?  Would he be a replacement for Jennings for example? Are we better having moved on and leaving it at that?

EE

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Its a totally inappropriate law Mace but apparently if one party knows it, it makes it legal. I do not understand how they can justify tapping his phone and reporting to 3rd parties as no one has given approval then. Possibly what ever is said relevant to the case must make it so.....but I was surprisd to read that transcript to his football mates.

You have rightly pointed out though that none of those calls incriminated him and his responses were realistic to him thinking he was not in danger of a prosecution only her health (within reason).i.e. he didn't seem to think he had done anything wrong!

• I'm starting to imagine though that if De Belin gets off (he will unquestionably after the cop was shown to be lying in evidence) and Hayne also, the shit fight that will eventuate over NRL players.

• Poppa, this goes for anyone in the public too; we all have no idea and only go from the media reports. Unfortunately this always plays out in the media. We will no doubt have plenty of advocacy groups in the media too.

• This now worries me that De Belin has had a hung jury, it seemed open and shut. Her behavior was worse than Hayne's complaintent.....given the way people are so PC/Me Too these days I start to worry about a jury trial.....look at the idiots we have on here that could be potentially sitting on a jury.

• The two cases might be for similar offence but circumstances of each seems very different as well from what I read...so I don’t think it’s a fair indicator and really hope that outcome doesn’t have the effect on the other.. that would not be fair on anyone to think they are the same.

They are not at all the same. 

• Yeah agree Poppa

• The legislation regarding these sorts of police initiated calls vary from state to state. I think it would be proper for the judge to guide the jury in this point on fairness. A defence barrister could lead the jury to think about what they were would say after an encounter, not knowing the police were listening and gathering evidence. 
            I personally wouldn't have gone anywhere near a jury but I'm sure he would have been competently instructed. 
            The one advantage that a jury trial has is that there are more avenues for appeal if it goes south. 

• Yes, strangley he was offered a judge only trial and waited the extra 6 months to have a jury.

Implies something, not sure what?

• Jury can be the safer option - simple.

As for tapping phones, it is my understanding that the police would have needed a prior court order to do so if they are presenting the recordings as evidence.

It is not illegal to record phone calls (your own) without notifying the other party but you cannot present that recording in public. You must record on a seperate device, not directly to the phone.

IF you have a recording the judge can order it be submitted during a case, but it is entirely up to his discretion.

This is in QueeRZland btw.

• yes, I know Qld is different......we should take note of  FH's comments though.....he is a retired judge!

Her mother has now come into and it appears impactful but I am not sure if it changes the "doubt" factor.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Sir Col "THE NODDY MUSHROOM" replied to Sir SuperEel 22 Hail King Arthur's discussion New Signings: Bryce Cartwright
"You are a bloody troll Doc - you went back and looked - didn't you.
I did get them all wrong last year. lol"
22 seconds ago
TKBK replied to brissyeel's discussion The Modern Centre
"I've been out to pasture. Happened by, so thought I'd chip in... Thank for even remembering!"
43 minutes ago
Parrapete replied to Mr Analyst loves Rugbah Leeg's discussion New Signing Soon
"That Matt Doorey guy from the dogs who I think people were saying could come here, has re signed with the dogs. Another one to scratch off the list."
48 minutes ago
Billy Big Ears replied to Poppa's discussion Style of Football to play
"I will not answer that as i told you i got hit on the head and i might incriminate my self . Did somebody say KFC "
50 minutes ago
More…