Jakob Arthur: Worst Case Scenario

10829718258?profile=RESIZE_400x

The case for keeping Jakob on the bench is that, should Mitchell Moses suffer an injury or concussion, we would not have adequate cover for the halfback role.

The outcome of this hypothetical situation appears to have escaped our industrious coach but for those who saw the first week of the finals, we have the benefit of knowing how the outcome of the projected worst case scenario would play out if it eventuated. Week one of the finals, Moses did get injured against the Panthers, Arthur did play, we did lose and Arthur failed to make a significant impact.

It's fair to assume that if Moses was to succumb to injury early in any match, we would have little chance of getting the job done, even with Jakob inserted in his stead.

To decide that carrying a spare half (not a utility either) into the game in lieu of choosing a second rower (with or without ball-playing skills) is a profound underestimation of the panthers forward pack. They will tire us and they will beat up our forwards and given the stakes, one wound assume there will be some concussions.

Ask yourself the question, what is more likely? Just one of our 9 forwards gets injured or Moses gets injured early and has to leave the field for the rest of the game?

Not accounting for any injury, our pack playing 80 minutes against the minor premiers wouldn't be an easy feat (even with an extra forward on the bench). So this begs the question, why would anyone in their right mind pick a backup half instead of an extra forward?

Penrith have several danger men who will take full advantage of tired forwards and the gaps they leave in the final minutes of the game. If you know for a fact your forwards will be exhausted and you merely speculate that your halfback will leave the field, you're not looking after your players and you're not respecting the opposition. 

I'm not claiming to know that BA doesn't have several other legitimate or compelling reasons for playing his son but on the face of it, none of the reasons for choosing Jakob ahead of another forward come close to outweighing the reasons to replace him.

I write this as a genuinely concerned fan and not to throw shade at a young and talented footballer. He is not far enough along in his development to lead the Eels to the Premiership on his own, especially playing opposite Nathan Cleary.

No one can make the point that a player who has tallied up a mere 5 rounds worth of game-time this year has somehow earned a spot in the grand final. I'm not asserting Nepotism is the reason behind his selection but the stated reasons are not compelling. I am struggling to fathom the logic of BA in light of his sons inexperience.

Considering that this is the biggest game we have played in 13 years and most of us here are old enough and ugly enough to remember that it's been 36 long years since our last Premiership, our coach should have enough respect for the players and the fans to do everything in his power to field the best team and to get the job done.

I'm not saying we can't win with 16 men but it sure feels like BA is making it that much harder by selecting a player that will more than likely sit on the bench for the entire match.

We don't want Sunday to end in more heartache, we need this win and it will mean the world to all of us. I need to know that the Eels fans have at least thought similarly about this and want to fill the side with our best 17, not 16 handicapped by an emergency replacement.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What your trying to say is go to Bunnings, get some timber, build a bridge and get over it, alternatively you can come with me and why I am there, I will buy you a teaspoon of cement to harden you up......

Its not the kid's fault and it has spoilt BA's legacy if we get beaten. BA had not needed to handicap the team because of his blindness or despite it, as I have said a hundred times, I think we win it, actually specials because we have a style of play that just suits us playing them. I don't think we could beat Souths or Easts on a given day, owing to those different styles. 

• And get a suasage 🌭 from BrissyFlip 🤣

• Agree 100% T-REX

• Why are we still letting this get to us instead of enjoying the occasion?. BA has stuck to his guns all through the finals, it's done, whilst the vast majority of us don't think JA should be in the team he is, get over it.

The o ly way I see this hurting our chances is if we lose one of our starting front rowers early in the game and we don't have another big body on the bench that can punch out big numbers. BA likes to keep our best players on the field as long as possible so that 17th player would get a few minutes at best anyway. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Poppa replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Well Lomax will be a lot more expensive, Carty would have been on minimum for most of the time and probably only 350/400 now. Carty is not that marketable unless he sell himself attached to the coach LOL"
31 minutes ago
"Thanks Hoe, agree with what you said.
I tried to specifically generalise about player valuations and use Lomax as an example. To answer Sluggo who was taking the piss, I can accept the premise he is making but I personally had overlooked Waqa as an…"
36 minutes ago
"Well thought out and expressed Slippery.... you raise good points about circumstantial valuations."
48 minutes ago
BEM replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Our dominant half is getting older and if we lose Sanders, there is no real alternative. 
Our forwards are getting older as well.
Our "premiership window" is closing fast so we need quality experienced players now instead of waiting to see if the…"
1 hour ago
More…