Flashback: PJ Marsh vs Trent Barrett 2005

During the Round 18 clash between the Eels and Dragons in 2005, PJ Marsh collided with Trent Barrett when attempting to charge down a kick.

Barrett got up and punched Marsh in the back of the head sparking a brawl.

Eels fullback Wade McKinnon returned the kick for a try while the brawl ensued.

The Video Referee awarded the try.

Did the referees get the decision right to award the try to McKinnon? What would The Bunker have done in this situation?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That would probably be no try today. Loved that game.

• I remember that. Yes it should have been a try, the hit from PJ Marsh was not late even by today's standards. St George decided it was better to go into the brawl than to play the game so they got what they deserved.

• It seems to be that the hand of PJ Marsh made direct contact with the face of Trent Barret making it a head high tackle regardless of whether or not the tackle was late . So it should have been a penalty to St George and of course the try disallowed . In addition certain players should have been on report  including Barret for the way he over reacted to a nothing slap on the face by punching to back of Marsh's head  and also those players who came in fighting .

• Yes great game this one; i was there in Thornett stand. Yes it was a try IMO under rules back then. Now? ha take an each way bet.

• Easily the two best sides that year. But we couldnt win with our best player out and the rest was history. Shame too because we had no trouble with tigers that year and in those times were a bit of boggy team for them.

• Not late but he did get him in the air and not a head high tackle.

Barrett was a dog with hitting PJ while back turned.

Legit try, if any penalty was to be awarded it would be against Barrett.

• Was at this game as a 10 year old in the scoreboard end. One of my favourite games I've been to. 

Such a waste of a year. We beat both the cowboys and tigers throughout the regular season. I believe if Fui and especially Hindmarsh weren't out against the cowboys in the prelim final we would have won and then gone onto win the grand final. Parra and saints were clearly the two best teams that year and everyone was robbed of what would have been an amasing grand final match up between them. The atmosphere would have been much better than tigers v cowboys, that's for sure. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

The Badger replied to Adrian Bowles's discussion Brad Arthur press conference
"Tad 
Brad needs to live by the old ABC - Attitude Behaviours Consequences 
Attitude is the result of the behaviours you display and the consequences for those behaviours.
There must be consequences for poor behaviours (eg - not completing tackles,…"
4 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion Brad to Bennett: Why Friday's clash might be the tipping point for Arthur and the Eels.
"Well said Bup. Had someone comment to me that no point blaming the coach when they forget how to tackle. I replied so it is all the players? He said they should know this. Right so if they should know it, why have a coach? Save money and let them do…"
6 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion Brad to Bennett: Why Friday's clash might be the tipping point for Arthur and the Eels.
"Well that's what he sounded like, a man trying to save his job."
7 minutes ago
Tad replied to Adrian Bowles's discussion Brad Arthur press conference
"Wizz I suppose calling out players is loaded with challengung a persons ego. Probably works out if you have respect for the person doing the calling out. If it is a playing the ball [coaching] type of calling out thing it has a better chance of…"
8 minutes ago
More…