Wests Tigers remain hopeful that teenage prop Stefano Utoikamanu will gain a release from Parramatta to join the club this season.
The Tigers have signed Utoikamanu on a three-year deal from 2021, but they want to secure his services for 2020.
Parramatta knocked back their release request in November, opting to offer the Australian schoolboys and NSW under-20s star a top-30 NRL position for this season.
The Eels feel the 19-year-old, who has been compared to Brisbane and NSW enforcer Payne Haas, will enhance their chances of success.
Despite the Eels’ stance, it’s understood that Utoikamanu wants to leave and he doesn’t want to make his NRL debut for Parramatta.
The Tigers will continue to negotiate with Eels officials in the hope they can obtain a release, which they believe is in the rising talent’s best interests.
The joint-venture club has the cap space for Utoikamanu, plus opportunities in the front-row for the former Westfield Sports High student to thrive.
The Tigers desperately want an enforcer following the retirement of former New Zealand international Ben Matulino.
Utoikamanu is the perfect fit having starred on the junior representative stage over several seasons.
He excelled during the NSW under-20s win over Queensland last year with almost 150 metres and 11 hit-ups while he scored the matchwinning try and collected the man-of-the-match honours for the Blues under-18s in 2018.
Utoikamanu has been a standout at Parramatta pre-season training.
He has a huge fitness base for a big man while he is incredibly strong weighing in at 115kg.
Utoikamanu appears ready for the step up after impressing in the Canterbury Cup ranks with Wentworthville last season.
He played 17 games for the Magpies, scoring two tries and running for 1602 metres and 604.8 post-contact metres.
Tigers officials are excited about the potential of Utoikamanu teaming up with a player like Zane Musgrove in the front-row.
Musgrove has been a standout at Tigers training this summer after having his contract conditionally approved by the NRL.
The former South Sydney forward has spent 12 months on the sideline following legal charges from an incident on the dance floor of the Coogee Bay Hotel.
However, after having two of the three charges – including aggravated indecent assault and common assault – dropped last in October, the NRL has given the green light for Musgrove to join the Tigers’ squad for pre-season training.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/wests-tigers-in-hunt-to-snare-parramatta-eels-teen-sensation/news-story/fc7c740178377547d4ec03569b162714?fbclid=IwAR3MKCI76_TrwrxhejJGm3IZcyADp8nVufTKNu4Tm168pLlZspKNLoU2nAY

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hopefully we can hold onto Dave Hollis and he can produce bigger things for us 

• Nothing more than media speculation. Why let him go and strengthen the opposition. The tigers can wait. If he doesn't want to play ball then send him to Wenty.

• Well, according to 60's on TCT, young Steph is training the house down ATM. Doesn't sound like a guy who doesn't want to debut for the Eels.

• It is a shame but his loss.leaves a team on the verge of success to play for a team on the rebuild with no success on the horizon 

• A backflip from Stefano is on the cards

• Interesting this comes out today.....

•  Backflip has been on the cards since he signed.

I am positive that he has family issues to sort before 2021. If he wants to be a Eel, he can be.

Interesting times for the club and Stefano.

• Whats the story peglord?

• I want a apology from you before I say anything.

• I'll apologise on Snake's behalf.

Sorry Cunt!

can you tell us your story now? It's almost bedtime

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Inside Info replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"I actually think Lomax is good for us, he has that flair we lack, yes at times it doesnt come off, but under a stronger coach like BA he will be more selective. He is someone can use through fullback, wing & center. He would be worth 600-650k. If we…"
5 minutes ago
Parra_Greg replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"I think it goes far back to the Michael Jennings situation and how he really left us in the lurche at a real critical time during a prelim semi.  He and Fergo were our last quality back signings and we really have not been able to bring anyone…"
31 minutes ago
Hell On Eels replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Pops, good blog.
Absolutely. R&R & managing the cap would be a nightmare. Gould says it keeps him up at night. Every signing is a risk with are so many balls in the air. Player managers, business associates and partners, spouses, family influences,…"
32 minutes ago
Offside replied to Muttman's discussion Moses Injury Update (from NRL Physio)
"Whilst the loss of Mich is huge it will be a great reviler of the culture in the club Penrith and Melbourne get injuries but you never truly write them off because the next man up approxh and jersey culture means they are never out.

If we compete…"
58 minutes ago
More…