Baby Boo - Hoo Broncos

I know the Broncos team has hit a bit of a bad patch but seriously some players "crying" after losing six games is just a bit over the top. Then being comforted by an opposition player in Cameron Blair. I wonder if Ray Price, Led Boyd, Geoff Toovey, Bob O'Reilly would shed a few tears on the field after losing six games. Seriously, there's  much more serious things in life happening to people to shed tears over but losing six games of Rugby League. These players need to toughen up, grow up, face the music, knuckle down instead of blubbering like babies looking for sympathy.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's interesting to listen to the oh-so-earnest footy commentators talk as if the Broncos not winning is a national tragedy. It's like crying tears because some fat, rich oligarch ran out of gold plating and had to use some brass. 

For me, the true story of the weekend is that the Warriors are 3-3 since resumption. Their players have been away from family and friends for months. They're completely displaced and their coach was sacked. They're doing a remarkable job. They're inconsistent but utterly courageous. 

All the hand wringing by commentators about the Broncos is misplaced values. It's like they're saying when the rich and powerful struggle, the world is off it's axis. No, it's not. I feel for the Warriors, but not the Broncos. The wheel of footy fate turns and it's their turn with injuries, poor form, and shoddy recruitment. That's life. What's not life is being dragged away from your friendship and family networks, yes for work, but not by choice. The Warriors are the true story here. 

• Good point and exactly correct. The Warriors have overcome greater obstacles but they've knuckled down and got on with the job.

• I agree with what you are saying about the Warriors, they are doing a great job under the circumstances, but I think you are off the mark about the coverage on the Broncos. I think it simply boils down to being newsworthy. The Broncos are perhaps the most prominent club in the NRL, they have a large supporter base, they are a one city team. It all adds up to great content for the media.

• Meelk, I agree with you that the Broncos demise is utterly newsworthy. This explains the scope of the coverage. My point was slightly separate. The content of the coverage? I'm finding the content of the coverage treats the Broncos as entitled to success and thus it's a travesty it success is not happening. I'm reminded here of the lack of sportsmanship that Serena Williams displayed when she was beaten by the Japanese player in the US Open (last year; year before?). Williams acted entitled. I smell the same here. As if Broncos are entitled. 

• NRL is a great example of you get what you deserve.

Broncos have made some shit decisions in the last 2 years and now they're paying for it.

1. Paul White going back on his promise to Kevin Walters to be the next coach.

2. Signing an inexperienced coach to a 5 year deal 

3. Signing a grub like Matt Lodge

4. Moving all the experienced players out to keep unproven talented youngsters

5. Paying Milford a $million a season to do sfa 

6. Signing a failed young Melbourne reject in Croft to lead the team instead of going for an older seasoned pro like Green

..and on and on.

That club is in the shit and I love watching it all unravel after years of smug Queenslanders giving me shit about Parra 

• I'm not from Brisbane but I do spend time there regularly for work. The local pressure these guys are under is ridiculous. Nightly news sports reports are basically 'what's happening at the Broncos' reports. Same for the back page of the papers. The Broncos aren't just popular in Brisbane they are literally the only game in town. The entire city of Brisbane is in mourning and not used to losing like this. 

• Interesting. I imagine Brisbane teams of the past would have lifted with that level of interest. Perhaps the current team team should ignore the media. This is probably the best time to be doing just that actually.

• Mutts all the things you mention are the other side of the sword that gives them the many financial advantages of being a one team town... so they have to suck it up because you can't cry about all the focus but still have the advantages they have.

And the young kids and young coach was all the clubs doing so they have nobody to blame but themselves so cry me a river.

• So in another words they are like parra, who have the most pressure of all Sydney clubs and non stop articles when we at bottom or winning games 

• Except the articles in Telecrap & SMH are usually critical, often very negative, the articles in the Courier-Mail barely give them a fat lip.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

CarloEEL2 replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Didn't feel like it to me ....
I didn't get that vibe of there being a " coffee talk"or even " the greasy eyeball in the hallway " 🤔😆
and I didn't hear him mention doing it for the fans either 🙄"
1 minute ago
My Bob replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
""I'd rather use a grater on my nuts and dip them in vinegar than sit through this inevitable flogging. This is going to get ugly!" 
So descriptive, paints a picture. Fantastic. "
2 minutes ago
Muttman replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"I don't think they'll capitulate like last week but they may not be able to control the scoreboard despite trying hard. We don't have the outside backs to match theirs. And with Cartwright out, Lane and Matterson in poor form and a rookie 7, we…"
5 minutes ago
The Badger replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Tell me it isn't so. Surely, he cannot feel safe.
The "board" must have already exerted some overt pressure on him. Even a short, 'gee the results are shit' talk over a coffee."
7 minutes ago
More…