By ADRIAN PROSZENKO@proshenks bit.ly/1QEnfJLThe NRL is investigating whether Parramatta properly disclosed a third-party agreement for star forward Anthony Watmough in a development that could result in the club starting the season four points in arrears if the governing body rules it is a salary cap breach.Fairfax Media can reveal Rugby League Central is examining the relationships between Parramatta, Watmough and two companies of which Stephen Moss - the son of Eels fan and former Macquarie Bank executive Bill Moss - is the sole director.Upon shifting from arch rivals Manly, Watmough entered into a third-party agreement with ScoreCube, described as "the ultimate live sports scores and statistics App". While the Eels declared that TPA to the NRL, it's believed they did not disclose that ScoreCube is a wholly owned subsidiary of BlackCitrus, an IT firm that has, and continues to, provide a range of services to the club. The Parramatta Leagues Club engaged BlackCitrus as one of the parties to investigate allegations of membership tampering and the Eels continue to use the firm for a range of services, including producing an app for itsSalary cap rules forbid any company involved in a commercial relationship with an NRL club to also serve as a TPA sponsor. The onus is on the club to declare any potential conflicts of interest to the NRL.A spokesman for the NRL said a salary cap review is currently being undertaken with the Eels."We will not be commenting on the review until it is finalised," the spokesman said.The Parramatta Eels declined to comment."All agreements between BlackCitrus and past or present NRL players have been met with approval from all necessary stakeholders," said Stephen Moss.Watmough was trumpeted as one of the club's biggest signings when he joined Parramatta, although a wretched run with injuries limited his effectiveness in his first season in blue and gold. There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by Watmough, his management firm or BlackCitrus.Should the NRL rule there is a conflict of interest, it could result in another breach of the salary cap. There could also be implications for any officials who knew, or should have known, about the potential conflicts of interest that weren't immediately reported  to head office.Parramatta is on notice after becoming the first club to overspend on all four salary caps in 2014. In that year alone, the top-tier NRL cap was breached on 17 occasions, while exemptions for players were often requested after they had already taken the field.The Eels have already paid a hefty price, copping a $465,000 fine and warned they would lose four competition points if there were any other instances of non-compliance.The club is still in the process of working through the 119 recommendations handed down during a governance review conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers, part of the process of satisfying head office that proper systems and processes are now in place. Rugby League Central is demanding the club implement 52 of the reforms by February 29, but officials are pushing back on some of them. The most contentious revolves around the constitutional reform required to scrap the two-year election cycle for a triennial model, a move recommended to stymie the instability caused by the bitter battles for control of the boardroom.Bill Moss had hoped to bring the big end of town to Parramatta through his brainchild 'The Premiership Club', aimed at boosting networking opportunities for the Eels. However, club officials chose to proceed with the initiative without him.It has been three seasons since Parramatta last won a premiership but there were high hopes for 2016 after an aggressive recruitment campaign. Joining Watmough at the club is former Sea Eagles teammate Kieran Foran, who will wear the No.7 jersey made famous by the great Peter Sterling. Other signings include NSW Origin forward Beau Scott, former Blue Michael Gordon and, most recently, Roosters superstar Michael Jennings. However, the chances of reaching the finals for the first time since 2009 will be severely dented if the NRL were to start the Eels two wins behind the rest of their rivals.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's about that time, proshenko is a piece of red headed shit!
    • I really don't think this is a case for shooting the messenger. He's got a job to do, there is waaay to much detail in this story for it to be inaccurate. Let's be realistic and if this was any other club, we'd be baying for the four points to come off. 

• Understood, I still don't like the guy. Maybe a little harsh but I think it's a fairly accurate discription. There is a story there, fingers crossed its not a sticking point and we don't start the season down 4 points. It's not fair on the players or the fans. Will have to wait and see as time is ticking for the reforms to be fixed.
    • It's ok everyone, don't take it personally, I'm sure the NRL is painstakingly scouring and scrutinising every clubs roster and books to find any details and indiscretions that they may have overlooked ,Jesus, people carrying on like we are being singled out here but every club is going through it,they just aren't selling newspapers like we do.Right?
  • fFS tell me there is not some agenda here. The amount of digging to get to this is ridiculous considering the shady deals Broncos and the roosters do. Can a club sue for harassment lol. Some people seem determined that eels will start at negative four points. . oh and by the way proSHITko to it's been more than 3 years since we won a premiership you poor excuse for a journalist... At least read your tripe before printing it.

PS I wrote that to you as we all know you read this site as part of your "investigative journalsim" fkn poser
  • One of my first editors stuck a poster-size message on the wall in front of my desk.
    It said: "News is something that someone, somewhere doesn't want to see printed. All the rest is advertising".

And as a young journalist who took that mantra to heart and subsequently got called a whole bunch of names,  I just get narked when people take aim at the reporter for doing their job.

I had a pretty standard comeback: "If you hadn't of fucked up, I couldn't have written the story".

It's probably pretty applicable here, I'd suggest.

• This reply was deleted.
      • And as we know, every company in the world is ultimately owned by Halliburton.

• Not true Pou - Halliburton is a fully owned subsidiary of Vandelay Industries, whose parent is of course Kramerica Industries - thus, technically, every corporation is ultimately owned by Kramerica Industries :))

• Gotta be a conflict of interest in there somewhere mate.

• Incorrect. It's business as usual here at Kramerica Industries.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Adam Magrath replied to Fiddy's discussion Raiders no halfback getting pumped
"Same goes for Hopgood, he punches through the line and is ready to offload looking for support and there is no one. So frustrating. This is where we are missing a zippy fullback who is on the ball at all times."
18 minutes ago
Kurupt - Part Time Coach replied to Fiddy's discussion Raiders no halfback getting pumped
"X2, but a lot of this is basic stuff BA just doesn't get, his gameplan is effort on effort, and if we don't hold possession we lose, without Moses' kicking it's exposed this badly. "
19 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to The Captain's discussion The Parramatta Eels have learned nothing from last season
"Parra's weakness is there back 5 that's where they are the slowest least athletic team in the league.
The fact they haven't invested or have development that is key to them winning the battle in the middle of the field is the Achilles heal of this…"
1 hour ago
Tad replied to The Captain's discussion The Parramatta Eels have learned nothing from last season
" Great Article exposing something where you can learn from  disappointments in being at the bottom of the ladder in what you do. Sometimes being in that place can be a good place to be to have a clearer view on how to progress. If you are midfield…"
2 hours ago
More…